Small Questions v 10078

Stubby

I'm sure this has been asked before:

The 7 Kingdoms are in danger of being invaded by the White Walkers/Others....are the other continents in danger too? Would they take to ships and destroy everyone, or maybe cross over on an ice bridge over the Narrow Sea?

Just curious if Essos and all of those other civilizations have anything to worry about besides some bad weather. Personally I always thought the Others were the doom of everyone, but after thinking about it...maybe not. The wall is simply in Westeros.

Not exactly a "small question".... :dunno:

That´s right, not exactly a small question :)

We don't know for sure what the Others are capable off. Perhaps they can cross water, perhaps they can't. They haven't crossed the water to circumvent the Wall, if that means anything at all.

The Ice Bridge idea is a kind of creepy one, but it does remind me of the Broken Arm all the way south in Dorne, and how it once connected Westeros to Essos, before the Children of the Forest (IIRC) broke it.

You can search for existing threads about this topic, and if you can't find one, make one of your own. With the second episode airing tonight, however, I think your topic would come through better if you made it a few hours before the airing, or a day or so after, since a new episode always inspires new threads (the first episode of the season inspired 60 threads in the show-part of the forum alone) and it takes time to process all of those, I imagine :)

Are only families that have held the titles King and Prince considered royal, and feudal lords are not? I'm asking if this is true in real life too.

My understanding is that most of the currently-existing Houses who were once Kings would consider themselves as having royal blood. Of course, this would be much more prevalent in the descendants of the 7 Kings of Aegon's time, but there are some notable exceptions - for example the head of House Yronwood traditionally carries the title "The Bloodroyal" in order to signify that they were Kings in their own right before Nymeria married Mors Martell and made his House the ruler of Dorne.

Another way too look at it is to consider the highest ranking leaders of each of the ethnic groups that inhabit Westeros - so the Starks would be the First Men royalty, the Martells - the Rhoynar loyalty and the Arryns (maybe) - the Andal royalty. That in addition to the Targaryens, of course.

I think it's just a mistake in the app, because it also says in the app that Lewyn is Doran's uncle, not his great-uncle.

Ah, then that's just a mistake in Oberyn's entry..

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks.

And I'd like to float this question again, because nobody has answered it yet:

Do we have any information as of what Maidenpool's situation is after Randyl Tarly left it to go to the capital? I mean things like who was left in charge and how strong the garrison is.

Edit:

The Ice Bridge idea is a kind of creepy one, but it does remind me of the Broken Arm all the way south in Dorne, and how it once connected Westeros to Essos, before the Children of the Forest (IIRC) broke it.

I had the same thought, but despite the similarities between the two concepts, the Breaking of the Arm (and the Neck for that matter) predates the Long Night.

And yet, there is the Azor Ahai legend coming from the East. So they must've been affected by the Long Night somehow. Either that, or there was an even earlier White Walker invasion - so the one which prompted the building of the Wall would've technically been the second one.

Thanks RT.

I'll take a look around again and see what I come up with in the forums. Yeah, the ice bridge concept is pretty freaky. But if they brought the cold and it started to spread, that might make something like a bridge possible (I don't personally see them getting on ships, although we know next to nothing about the Others).

But Ramsey knew who those boys were and their value as hostages. He wanted to kill all others but he the Walders were valuable to him without his father's approval or direction.

I guess, but I think without Roose explicitly telling him to save them he probably wouldn't have. Their danger as witnesses would outweigh any value of hostages. Plus compare how he treats his other hostage to the way he treats the walders. I suppose it could just be that he heard Roose married a frey and didn't want to make things awkward. I still think he did it on orders but I'll concede that it's not totally clear.

Two eastern seas that were named for the first time by the maps, the Bleeding Sea and the Sea of Sighs, also appear in distinctive and different shades of pink and red. “These are landlocked seas, and so are quite unusual. I can tell you they’re colored this way for a reason, right down to adjustments to the specific shade,” said Roberts. “It was very clear that getting the details right was going to be important, and with all that has been created and written about Westeros and Essos, that [was] a huge challenge.”

http://www.wired.com/2014/04/game-of-thrones-maps-secrets/#slide-id-642503

Any guesses why these seas are pink and red?

I can only make guesses based on our own world and i am not sure any would be valid. With that being said pink usually means sea shells in the real world, and red can mean several things. Iron, and algae are the most common.

In his armor, the Mountain looked bigger than any man had any right to be. Beneath a long yellow surcoat bearing the three black dogs of Clegane, he wore heavy plate over chainmail, dull grey steel dinted and scarred in battle. Beneath that would be boiled leather and a layer of quilting. A flat-topped greathelm was bolted to his gorget, with breaths around the mouth and nose and a narrow slit for vision. The crest atop it was a stone fist.

Am I mistaken or is Gregor Clegane wearing a greathelm with House Glover's sigil on top of it?

Does anyone have a theory on Rugen, the missing gaoler, and especially the old gold coin reportedly found by Qyburn? I have wondered if the man even existed, and perhaps was invented and played by Varys. This would account for some of Varys' comings and goings, give him even more unrestricted access to the dungeons, and for the fact that Rugen has disappeared. Any takers?

Does anyone have a theory on Rugen, the missing gaoler, and especially the old gold coin reportedly found by Qyburn? I have wondered if the man even existed, and perhaps was invented and played by Varys. This would account for some of Varys' comings and goings, give him even more unrestricted access to the dungeons, and for the fact that Rugen has disappeared. Any takers?

Its pretty much confirmed that Rugen is Varys, and Rugen is also the guise Varys usd to visit Eddard in the Black Cells in Game of Thrones.

I think the general consensus is that Rugen was Varys and he intentionally left the Gardener gold coin behind in order to implicate the Tyrells in Tyrion's escape.

The wiki article actually states that this has been confirmed.

I think IIRC, House Glover flies a mailed fist on its banners.

My point is that the Glovers are the only House (IIRC) which has a fist for its sigil. And Gregor is wearing a greathelm with a fist on it.

Edit: My first thought was that the helm might be plunder from a battle (he did defeat Robett Glover) - but the original owner of the helm should be as huge as the Mountain himself, and Robett is never stated to be exceptionally big.

Am I mistaken or is Gregor Clegane wearing a greathelm with House Glover's sigil on top of it?

Seems like it. House Glover does have a fist as their sigil.

Like @HelenaAndTheMachine said, Rugen is Varys, the disguise used both in Game when Varys visited Eddard, and the disguise used when freeing Tyrion. The man most likely never existed. He held his office from Aerys, one of the current goalers tells us. He also came and went as he pleased. That fits for Varys, since in addition, everyone down there feared him (Rugen) a little.

The coin could have been planted by Varys after Jaime had searched the room, so Qyburn, and Qyburn specifically would find it. That way, Cersei would think Jaime more incompetent, and Qyburn would raise in her eyes (though I'm not sure how that works in Varys' favor). In addition, the coin itself would make Cersei believe Highgarden is working with Tyrion, and thus against her, making her paranoia greater than it already was.

I don't really subscribe to the belief that Roose commanded Ramsay in taking WF...He wouldn't have wanted to tell Bolton of the circumstances of his stay there, and he returned awfully quickly from the Dreadfort if Ravens were involved. I think his own evil and ambitions drove him to do what he did. He isn't stupid, just cruel, so I think he was more than capable of surmising for himself the importance of the Freys, as well as Theon (not to mention he must've resented the way Theon treated him.) And Roose wasn't married or even betrothed to a Frey at this point...though if he was, that would show an incredible amount of quick thinking and cunning on the part of Roose if he was able to learn the truth of his Bastard's situation and command him to sack and burn the seat of the Starks, but the irony is that it seems that THIS was the impetus for Bolton's betrayal of Robb. Interesting...

The coin could have been planted by Varys after Jaime had searched the room, so Qyburn, and Qyburn specifically would find it. That way, Cersei would think Jaime more incompetent, and Qyburn would raise in her eyes (though I'm not sure how that works in Varys' favor).

Because Varys is now feeding information to Qyburn, at the least. In AFFC Cersei states that as soon as he was named master of whispers informants started coming forward and that it was the silver all along not the spider. However since we know Varys got most of his best information from his little birds rather than from paid informants he now has a situation where he is probably paying people to lie to Qyburn, or tell the truth and be paid by him as well. This information then gets passed on to Cersei and her believing Qyburn is more competent is hence beneficial.

I don't really subscribe to the belief that Roose commanded Ramsay in taking WF...He wouldn't have wanted to tell Bolton of the circumstances of his stay there, and he returned awfully quickly from the Dreadfort if Ravens were involved. I think his own evil and ambitions drove him to do what he did. He isn't stupid, just cruel, so I think he was more than capable of surmising for himself the importance of the Freys, as well as Theon (not to mention he must've resented the way Theon treated him.) And Roose wasn't married or even betrothed to a Frey at this point...though if he was, that would show an incredible amount of quick thinking and cunning on the part of Roose if he was able to learn the truth of his Bastard's situation and command him to sack and burn the seat of the Starks, but the irony is that it seems that THIS was the impetus for Bolton's betrayal of Robb. Interesting...

Since the question has provoked some discussion, I opened a thread for it. Let's move the conversation there, instead of cluttering this thread. :)

Maybe a strange question, but can anyone link a good chapter for GoT that I could in turn link to someone else? They want to start reading the series, but want to test it first. Alternatively, if you could recommend a chapter for me to get them to read from my books that would be great :)

Because Varys is now feeding information to Qyburn, at the least. In AFFC Cersei states that as soon as he was named master of whispers informants started coming forward and that it was the silver all along not the spider. However since we know Varys got most of his best information from his little birds rather than from paid informants he now has a situation where he is probably paying people to lie to Qyburn, or tell the truth and be paid by him as well. This information then gets passed on to Cersei and her believing Qyburn is more competent is hence beneficial.

Varys got most of his information from his birds, yes, but he, like every other Master of Whispers, also received information from people who sold the secrets they had learned. Varys had his little birds as an addition.

The birds were not "transferred" to Qyburn, but the people selling their secrets don't care who they sell them to.

It's totally possible that Varys has hired someone to tell Qyburn things Varys wants Qyburn to know, but if I would have to guess, it would be more his style to make certain someone who sells secrets “accidentally overhears” someone (like, say, a disguised Varys :) ) talking about it. Varys could have his birds make certain that said person would go to Qyburn to sell the secrets.

Archived