Small Questions v 10078

Stubby

Maybe a strange question, but can anyone link a good chapter for GoT that I could in turn link to someone else? They want to start reading the series, but want to test it first. Alternatively, if you could recommend a chapter for me to get them to read from my books that would be great :)

I think an entire chapter on-line would be a violation of GRRM's copyright unless he posted it himself, like the new WoW chapters. You can use short passages for "fair use" and duck the copyright issues but there are restrictions on what constitutes fair use that come into play when the material is digitized.

I would suggest reading a chapter out loud or maybe just going to library and Xeroxing out a chapter the old-fashioned way (or scanning it in and printing it for personal use -- which should be fine in terms of copyright as long as you don't upload it to the Web.) The chapter that starts with Ned beheading the deserter and ending with the finding of the wolf pups should be good as it introduces Ned, Bran, Jon, and Theon quite nicely, and the wolves as well. Or you could use the chapter where Robert's retinue arrives at Winterfell and gets the plot rolling with his command for Ned to be King's Hand.

Maybe a strange question, but can anyone link a good chapter for GoT that I could in turn link to someone else? They want to start reading the series, but want to test it first. Alternatively, if you could recommend a chapter for me to get them to read from my books that would be great :)

I'd advise against starting them with a Bran. Perhaps a Dany chapter? Dany I or II?

Or the Ned chapter at Darry, where they decide to kill Lady!

I assume you'll be wanting them to read from the first book, right?

I think an entire chapter on-line would be a violation of GRRM's copyright unless he posted it himself, like the new WoW chapters. You can use short passages for "fair use" and duck the copyright issues but there are restrictions on what constitutes fair use that come into play when the material is digitized.

Yeah, I realised this as I was posting but didn't bother changing my post. I was going to give them a chapter to read on my e-reader instead.

I'd advise against starting them with a Bran. Perhaps a Dany chapter? Dany I or II?

Thank you, I might do that :)

In Feast for Crows, once Qyburn let it be known he was the Master of Whispers, many informants used by Varys came to him. Its likely that these were either sent by Varys himself, or were only a small part of Varys' spy network.

Side note: did we just have this question? or was it something different? got the weirdest sense of deja vu there :p

In Feast for Crows, once Qyburn let it be known he was the Master of Whispers, many informants used by Varys came to him. Its likely that these were either sent by Varys himself, or were only a small part of Varys' spy network.

Side note: did we just have this question? or was it something different? got the weirdest sense of deja vu there :P

I just got deja-vu, since I asked that question few months ago in this thread :P

If this helps you and Ser Stefan, here are the answers: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/95324-small-questions-v-10012/?p=4861589

Did Aegon the conquerer build KL to mimic the free cities? Since there is no other city like city in Westeros per se? eh?

To mimic the Free Cities how?

KL isn't the only city in Westeros - in fact there are at least 4 more and all of them are older than the capital.

Side note: did we just have this question? or was it something different? got the weirdest sense of deja vu there :p

We discussed this one page ago :P

When Jaime ran off to be with his dad after attacking Ned and his men, does that count as breaking his oath as a member of the Kingsgaurd?

According to the Lannisters the Ned was plotting with Stannis and Renly to kill Robert and steal the crown.Jaime was merely being being proactive :)

My understanding is that most of the currently-existing Houses who were once Kings would consider themselves as having royal blood. Of course, this would be much more prevalent in the descendants of the 7 Kings of Aegon's time, but there are some notable exceptions - for example the head of House Yronwood traditionally carries the title "The Bloodroyal" in order to signify that they were Kings in their own right before Nymeria married Mors Martell and made his House the ruler of Dorne.

Another way too look at it is to consider the highest ranking leaders of each of the ethnic groups that inhabit Westeros - so the Starks would be the First Men royalty, the Martells - the Rhoynar loyalty and the Arryns (maybe) - the Andal royalty. That in addition to the Targaryens, of course.

Good point. The main reason I'm asking is because the English monarchy system is confusing to me and I'm not sure at which point a family is considered royal.

Why are so many people in favor of Stannis's cause? I get that he can put things in the right place up in the North, but honestly I don't see him as a true king.

Surely a true Stannis fan would answer that better, but here are a few things...

Stannis is considered by many as a "truly just man". Yes, he burns people, but mostly though he's about justice.

Also he doesn't give two shits about your birth if you're a good and honest dude, and that's a really good thing when the people who read about you are from our time and age.

And, depending on how you want to look at things, he can be considered the rightful King.

If you accept Robert's kingship, there is no debate - Stannis is his heir, end of story.

If you consider the rightful King to be Aerys II's heir, things get trickier. Forget about Jon and fAegon a second (Stannis has no idea, one way or the other). Viserys was Aerys' heir, but when he died, there was no heir from a direct male line.

Post-Dance, the Targ succession laws seem to be that a male heir always come before a woman. But what of that case? If the Targs follow regular Andal law, Dany is Viserys' heir. Then again, it's not quite clear they do.

If the rule is "no woman may sit the Iron Throne", then the heir would the male closest to the main line, despite coming through a female branch.

Sounds familiar? That's good ol' Bobby I Baratheon.

(Also he has a shiny sword, a sexy red 80 years old girlfriend, and he's pretty much the only one who cares about saving the world almost as much as he wants to sit on the throne.)

Side note: did we just have this question? or was it something different? got the weirdest sense of deja vu there :P

Once you been here for a while, you will see some questions every thread, and other every couple threads. Rarely is there something that is truly knew.

Why are so many people in favor of Stannis's cause? I get that he can put things in the right place up in the North, but honestly I don't see him as a true king.

Because he is BAMF Stannis!!!!

I am not his biggest fan, but have come to believe that he is one characters that will last thru out the series, and his greater part has yet to come.

I forget, Is Brienne's Oath to kill Stannis show only or is it in the books too? If so, do you think it will ever come to fruition?

"If you left us, where would you go?" Catelyn asked her.

"Back," Brienne said. "To Storm’s End."

"Alone." It was not a question.

The broad face was a pool of still water, giving no hint of what might live in the depths below. "Yes."

"You mean to kill Stannis."

Brienne closed her thick callused fingers around the hilt of her sword.

The sword that had been his. "I swore a vow. Three times I swore. You heard me."

"I did," Catelyn admitted. The girl had kept the rainbow cloak when she discarded the rest of her bloodstained clothing, she knew.

And the vow itself:

It made sense enough for Brienne. "I will kill him," the tall homely girl declared. "With my lord’s own sword, I will kill him. I swear it. I swear it. I swear it."

So not show only :) It's in the books as well. Whether or not Brienne vowing to kill Stannis will have consequences for Stannis might depend on what happens to Brienne in the Jaime/Lady Stoneheart debacle.

Archived