Small Questions v 10078

Stubby

Whar evidence is there to tell us that Victorian is dumb?

SSM

Martin spoke on a number of topics for the Q&A, although a lot of it wasn't new as people asked many of the usual questions. However, he did reveal that for Game of Thrones season 3, Morocco will be added to the filming locations, and it will stand in for Slaver's Bay. There most interesting question was about what Meera and Jojen Reed know about the Tower of Joy. George said that the Reeds might know something about it. GRRM also noted to one question that he thinks Victarion is "dumb as a stump".

Whar evidence is there to tell us that Victorian is dumb?

Two examples that spring to mind are his hatred of people laughing because he never understands whether they are laughing at him. And also the "Where is this Dothraki Sea? I will sail it blah blah blah"

Two examples that spring to mind are his hatred of people laughing because he never understands whether they are laughing at him. And also the "Where is this Dothraki Sea? I will sail it blah blah blah"

Now I have the image in my head of Victarion standing on his ship, whilst the ship is on wheels, going through the Dothrak Sea... Or something like Pirates of the Caribbean 3, where a bunch of crabs lift up the ship...

:rofl:

Thanksto all but now ive lost a lot of respect for one of my fave characters

I feel the same way. I never read Victarion as a dunce. Admirals and generals in the real world are usually highly intelligent, educated and competent, not dumb thugs. Victarion is probably a composite of a jock that pantsed The George in a middle school locker room.

Thanksto all but now ive lost a lot of respect for one of my fave characters

I feel the same way. I never read Victarion as a dunce. Admirals and generals in the real world are usually highly intelligent, educated and competent, not dumb thugs. Victarion is probably a composite of a jock that pantsed The George in a middle school locker room.

If it makes you feel any better, he doesn't think he's that stupid.

Q: Isn't it very difficult to write from the point of view of character that is less intelligent than you? I mean, you must ask yourself: How stupid this character can really be?
A: I don't think any of mine characters is really very stupid. It would be certainly dfficult to write from the point of view of someone like Hodor.

Surely a true Stannis fan would answer that better, but here are a few things...

Stannis is considered by many as a "truly just man". Yes, he burns people, but mostly though he's about justice.

Also he doesn't give two shits about your birth if you're a good and honest dude, and that's a really good thing when the people who read about you are from our time and age.

And, depending on how you want to look at things, he can be considered the rightful King.

If you accept Robert's kingship, there is no debate - Stannis is his heir, end of story.

If you consider the rightful King to be Aerys II's heir, things get trickier. Forget about Jon and fAegon a second (Stannis has no idea, one way or the other). Viserys was Aerys' heir, but when he died, there was no heir from a direct male line.

Post-Dance, the Targ succession laws seem to be that a male heir always come before a woman. But what of that case? If the Targs follow regular Andal law, Dany is Viserys' heir. Then again, it's not quite clear they do.

If the rule is "no woman may sit the Iron Throne", then the heir would the male closest to the main line, despite coming through a female branch.

Sounds familiar? That's good ol' Bobby I Baratheon.

(Also he has a shiny sword, a sexy red 80 years old girlfriend, and he's pretty much the only one who cares about saving the world almost as much as he wants to sit on the throne.)

Thanks for the explanation! I like Stannis for his cause in wanting to save the world and restoring the North by placing Jon as it's Lord Paramount, but for some reason I don't see him lasting the series. I think he'll get a heroic death against the white walkers.

Victarion strikes me as someone who is strategically pretty smart, but he's rather uncultured and gullible. He's a straightforward man so he's easily duped by scheming and he doesn't know stuff like what the Dothraki Sea is.

I sont know if this is the right place but can anyone send me a link to what words mean? e.g.

Doesnt peaches mean innocence or something?

Im just starting a re-read and would like it for reference

Do you mean the Food Code? I think that is just something.made up by fans, and may not be something GRRM.intentionally does. It does seem to work quite often though. Just type in "Food Code" into the search bar, should find what you are lookig for

ETA: And I think using this, peaches = death or something like that

Do you mean the Food Code? I think that is just something.made up by fans, and may not be something GRRM.intentionally does. It does seem to work quite often though. Just type in "Food Code" into the search bar, should find what you are lookig for

ETA: And I think using this, peaches = death or something like that

GRRM has stated that the Food Code does not exist.

GRRM has stated that the Food Code does not exist.[/quote

I wasnt sure or not. I knew about the corn code being debunked but wasnt sure about the Food Code. I assume thats what the question was asking for though :dunno:

If i remember correctly, when asked if there are hidden codes in the story, George asks back "what king of code" and when told about the corn code he says a rounding no. That means there could be other types of code in there, and if one stretches the definition of 'code', there certainly is.

(not that i particularly believe in the food code)

ame="HelenaAndTheMachine" post="5646837" timestamp="1397579433"]

Weren't those two parts of the same theory? Now I'm doubting.. I'll try to find the statement later tonight, I need my laptop for that ;)

Corn Code is separate and was created by Ser Creighton. Food Code was created by Apple Martini with help from....I want to say Florina (insert current name).

Anyway, even if GRRM hasn't disputed it, it remains a fan-made concept :)

Corn Code is separate and was created by Ser Creighton. Food Code was created by Apple Martini with help from....I want to say Florina (insert current name).

Anyway, even if GRRM hasn't disputed it, it remains a fan-made concept :)

I can't find what I was looking for anymore, but I guess I misremembered and it was about the Corn Code, like @Roberto said.

Archived