Small Questions v 10078

Stubby

Really? I know that was the explanation given in the TV show, but I didn't think it was in the book canon too. Seemed a bit silly to me.

Anyway, thanks!

From Cat GoT:

Catelyn’s mouth grew tight. “Littlefinger,” she murmured. His face swam up before her; a boy’s face, though he was a boy no longer. His father had died several years before, so he was Lord Baelish now, yet still they called him Littlefinger. Her brother Edmure had given him that name, long ago at Riverrun. His family’s modest holdings were on the smallest of the Fingers, and Petyr had been slight and short for his age.

But why would Widows Watch be holding men back?

The same reason White Harbor was? Wyman boasts that even after the losses in the south (and considering Roose's efforts I think we can safely assume that almost none of the Manderly levies made it back), he still commands more heavy horse than any northern Lord.

I think that when Robb marched south he allowed his coastal lords to keep a sizable portion of their strength for defensive purposes. I'm basing that on Lady Dustin's comment that she sent as few as possible, as well as on Lord Manderly's comment about the heavy horse. Leaving the Dustins (and I think also the Ryswells) to the West and the Manderlys (who apparently also have the support of Locke and Flint from WW) to the East, in addition to keeping the Crannogmen in the Neck, is a pretty good way to defend the North until a fleet can be built (and even after that).

Edit: In other words, the North was nowhere near as devoid of men and defenseless as Balon claimed when he laid out his plan.

I can't find confirmation that the pregnant "Lady Flint" is Lyessa. The appendix for ACOK states Lyessa is the mother to Robin and the appendices since ASOS state Lyessa is the Lady of Widow's Watch.

Torghen Flint leads the Flints of the mountains, and we don't know of any named Flints from Flint's Finger. In AGOT Luwin tells Bran that "others are waiting to join [Robb] all along the kingsroad, barrow knights and crannogmen, and the Lords Manderly and Flint."

I can't find confirmation that the pregnant "Lady Flint" is Lyessa. The appendix for ACOK states Lyessa is the mother to Robin and the appendices since ASOS state Lyessa is the Lady of Widow's Watch.

Torghen Flint leads the Flints of the mountains, and we don't know of any named Flints from Flint's Finger. In AGOT Luwin tells Bran that "others are waiting to join [Robb] all along the kingsroad, barrow knights and crannogmen, and the Lords Manderly and Flint."

That's what I meant. We don't even know if it's the same woman...

The wiki has an article on Alyce Dunn, but I cannot find any info in the books about her. Has she been confused with pregnant Alyce Graceford?

Couldn't find any references to her either.

In the appendix of aCoK, both Jaime Lannister and Robert Arryn are listed Warden of the East. Is this a mistake, or does the Vale of Arryn consider Robert the Warden?

Yeah Lysa declares him the "True Warden of the East."

I have a question. What's up with stewards? I'm under the impression that House Tyrell was the steward house for the Gardner Kings. In other words that their steward was always a Tyrell. Is this the case or did a Tyrell just happen to be steward at the right time? Does house Poole have a seat of it's own or are they just the steward house of Winterfell? Did Robb ever appoint anyone to replace Poole? He had no sons that I'm aware of. Does every house have a steward house? Have we heard of any more?

Couldn't find any references to her either.

Yeah Lysa declares him the "True Warden of the East."

I have a question. What's up with stewards? I'm under the impression that House Tyrell was the steward house for the Gardner Kings. In other words that their steward was always a Tyrell. Is this the case or did a Tyrell just happen to be steward at the right time? Does house Poole have a seat of it's own or are they just the steward house of Winterfell? Did Robb ever appoint anyone to replace Poole? He had no sons that I'm aware of. Does every house have a steward house? Have we heard of any more?

I can't be positive because it's not completely consistent with ASOIAF, but historically some of these jobs such as Steward, Castellan, and so on, were actually considered to be inherited -- that is, when your Steward died, you didn't hold an open recruitment call for the position, his eldest son just stepped in and started doing it (or a different family member perhaps if the eldest son had taken up another trade in the meantime.) Anyway, in a lot of cases these jobs were held within specific families and the family's right to hold them were jealously guarded. But not every house necessarily had an established one of these, probably.

1) How old are The Drowned God and The Storm God. For instance was it there before, with or after the Andals?

2) Does Storms End pray to The Storm God?

3) Is The Storm God a devil-type to The Drowned God and who prays to it?

The Drowned God predates the Andals. The Ironborn may have invented it because they had no weirwoods or children of the forest around. I don't think the Storm God of the Ironborn is supposed to be the same one that Storm's End was built to defy. Anyway the people of Storm's end never worshiped the Storm God, though the first Durrandon king supposedly married his daughter against his wishes. I dunno of anyone who currently prays to the Storm God, but it's possible there's some sect of Ironborn that do.

I can't be positive because it's not completely consistent with ASOIAF, but historically some of these jobs such as Steward, Castellan, and so on, were actually considered to be inherited -- that is, when your Steward died, you didn't hold an open recruitment call for the position, his eldest son just stepped in and started doing it (or a different family member perhaps if the eldest son had taken up another trade in the meantime.) Anyway, in a lot of cases these jobs were held within specific families and the family's right to hold them were jealously guarded. But not every house necessarily had an established one of these, probably.

So then when Vaylan Poole left Winterfell without a male heir, he was sorta giving up his families position as stewards of Winterfell? If he'd had an infant son would there be a "steward regent" until he came of age?

So then when Vaylan Poole left Winterfell without a male heir, he was sorta giving up his families position as stewards of Winterfell? If he'd had an infant son would there be a "steward regent" until he came of age?

I would guess so. For example, Hullen was the horsemaster, and his son, Harwin, was the stable boy, pretty much being prepared to take his father's position after him.

The Drowned God predates the Andals. The Ironborn may have invented it because they had no weirwoods or children of the forest around. I don't think the Storm God of the Ironborn is supposed to be the same one that Storm's End was built to defy. Anyway the people of Storm's end never worshiped the Storm God, though the first Durrandon king supposedly married his daughter against his wishes. I dunno of anyone who currently prays to the Storm God, but it's possible there's some sect of Ironborn that do.

Thanks helped a lot

Did the Reynes and Tarbecks actually fight a pitched battle of the Lannisters?

Seems strange that they would just wait in their castles for Tywin to crush them.

It depends on whether or not they knew if the Lannisters were coming..

Tytos was a weak lord, and did not order anything. Supposedly, after Tywin reached manhood, he was allowed to take an army to the two castles and take them out. I personally doubt that the Reynes or the Tarbecks were warned beforehand, or that they believed they were in actual danger (Tytos would stil be Tywin's overlord, and it's quite possible the Reynes and Tarbecks believed they could make Tytos call Tywin back).

If there was no warning of an army coming their way, the castle could easily have been besieged, and subsequently destroyed.

Hi,

I'm looking for The Rains of Castamere as played by a band before the show came to life.

Unfortunately, I forgot the name of the band. And I can't find it anymore, it's like this song went out of the Internet. And replaced by the new versions by The National or Sigur Ros.

Can somebody help me remember the name of this band ?

Thanks !

It depends on whether or not they knew if the Lannisters were coming..

Tytos was a weak lord, and did not order anything. Supposedly, after Tywin reached manhood, he was allowed to take an army to the two castles and take them out. I personally doubt that the Reynes or the Tarbecks were warned beforehand, or that they believed they were in actual danger (Tytos would stil be Tywin's overlord, and it's quite possible the Reynes and Tarbecks believed they could make Tytos call Tywin back).

If there was no warning of an army coming their way, the castle could easily have been besieged, and subsequently destroyed.

I see, but surely the Reynes and Tarbecks would have a large amount of men and vassals. The Reynes are described as the most powerful house in the Westerlands after the Lannisters so surely their combined forces with the Tarbecks would be able to match the Lannisters.

I still think it's strange that they openly rebelled against Lannister rule but didn't go on the offensive as soon as they rebelled.

Archived