Small Questions v 10078

Stubby

I see, but surely the Reynes and Tarbecks would have a large amount of men and vassals. The Reynes are described as the most powerful house in the Westerlands after the Lannisters so surely their combined forces with the Tarbecks would be able to match the Lannisters.

I still think it's strange that they openly rebelled against Lannister rule but didn't go on the offensive as soon as they rebelled.

But there wasn't anything to be offensive about :) When Tytos Lannister arrested Lord Tarbeck, Lord Tarbeck's wife took three Lannister cousins in arrest. Instead of demanding the return of his cousins, something which Tytos would be allowed to do since he was the overlord, he simply handed Lord Tarbeck back to his wife. There were no sanctions, no consequences.

People borrowed money from Tytos without ever bothering to repay it. No consequences followed. Tytos was a man who wanted to please everyone, and didn't believe in violence (or was afraid to use it).

The Tarbecks had enjoyed years of rebelling without consequences. Sure, they had their own men of fighting age, but if an army shows up out of nowhere all around your castle, you can no longer send out riders, you can no longer send out ravens (they'll be shot down), you can do nothing to call your men to defend you.

But that's the scenario where there was no battle.

If there was indeed a battle, still, the Tarbecks and the Reynes would not be expecting much from the Lannisters. Tywin had the element of surprise on his side. He was not his weak father, and this was the first time he was put in command at all, so the Tarbecks and Reynes did not know what Tywin would do.

In addition, Lord Tarbeck and Lord Reyne would not ride onto the battlefield with their entire family. The women and children specifically would remain at home, perhaps the lords themselves as well (leaving the command to their best knights). After the defeat of their armies, locking themselves up in their castles was their safest course of action. They were the losing side, there would be no one in the Westerlands willing to support those two houses.

There is an SSM that discusses the amount of time that passes between the Dunk and Egg stories (I think it was about the Sworn Sword and the Mystery Knight). I can't seem to find it, can anyone else?

This is all I could find, a mention that someone wanted to ask him but didn't get the chance.

If I had a chance to get called on, I would ask "I hear Dunk & Egg III is almost done. Can you tell us 1) where it's set (e.g. do they make it up to the Wall), and 2) how long after The Sworn Sword does it take place?"" Maybe he would have refused to answer, but, no risk, no reward).

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/1378

There is an SSM that discusses the amount of time that passes between the Dunk and Egg stories (I think it was about the Sworn Sword and the Mystery Knight). I can't seem to find it, can anyone else?

I don't have an SSM but in the stories Egg is ten in Sworn Sword and eleven in Mystery Knight.

That's what I meant. We don't even know if it's the same woman...

Checking some other sources, the Guardians of Order RPG book from 2005 states:

Dwelling on a lonely peninsula far to the east of White Harbor, the members of this house claim close kinship with the Flints of Flint's Finger and the Flint clan of the mountains. During Eddard Stark's time as the King's Hand, Lady Flint is with child.

The Campaign Guide from 2012 states:

House Flint of Flint's Finger: This branch of the Flint family has ties to the Flints of Widow's Watch and the far smaller Flint clans of the northern mountains. Their lands consist of the southern shores of Blazewater Bay. Lord Robin Flint is lord of this house and is counted as one of the Stark's more constant allies.

and

House Flint of Widow's Watch: The senior branch of the extended Flint family, House Flint of Widow's Watch commands a peninsula east and north of White Harbor. These Flints have ties to House Stark, having married into the family a few generations back. The current head of Widow's Watch is Lady Lyessa Flint, who is with child.

Both books confirm that Lyessa is with child. The Campaign Guide incorrectly has Robin as head of the Flint's Finger branch, unless it is a recent cadet branch with the mother ruling one branch and the son another. The Campaign Guide also suggests the Starks married into the Widow's Watch branch (or at least the Flint family) a few generations back, but ASOS confirms Ned's grandmother was a Flint of the mountains.

In the appendix of aCoK, both Jaime Lannister and Robert Arryn are listed Warden of the East. Is this a mistake, or does the Vale of Arryn consider Robert the Warden?

Robert names Jaime. Ironically, Tywin restores little Robert.

Checking some other sources, the Guardians of Order RPG book from 2005 states:

The Campaign Guide from 2012 states:

Both books confirm that Lyessa is with child. The Campaign Guide incorrectly has Robin as head of the Flint's Finger branch, unless it is a recent cadet branch with the mother ruling one branch and the son another. The Campaign Guide also suggests the Starks married into the Widow's Watch branch (or at least the Flint family) a few generations back, but ASOS confirms Ned's grandmother was a Flint of the mountains.

I had not thought to check the RPGs! Ok, so Lady Lyessa is indeed pregnant, and the mother of Robin.

Perhaps the Flints recently branched out? I can't recall if Robin was ever called Lord in the books..?

“It’s swords Joff needs, not toasts,” she snapped. “His realm is still plagued with would-be usurpers and self-styled kings.”

“But not for long, I think,” said Varys unctuously.

This dialogue occurs during the council meeting in ACoK after the Blackwater. The Purple Wedding was on the way. What was Varys thinking?

Its swords Joff needs, not toasts, she snapped. His realm is still plagued with would-be usurpers and self-styled kings.

But not for long, I think, said Varys unctuously.

This dialogue occurs during the council meeting in ACoK after the Blackwater. The Purple Wedding was on the way. What was Varys thinking?

Probably that Aegon would soon be on the Iron Throne as the one true king of Westeros. And indeed, Aegons invasion started within a year after that meeting.

Olenna has been confirmed to have done the deed at the purple wedding, and seeing as how LF was involved in it as well, I doubt Varys played a part. Joffrey was a cruel young king, and would hav e caused the chaos Varys needed, once Tywin was safely out of the way and no longer able to control the boy.

Fwiw there's one where an audience member talks about wanting to ask Grrm this but didn't get the chance. I don't think there's one where grrm actually discusses.

If I had a chance to get called on, I would ask "I hear Dunk & Egg III is almost done. Can you tell us 1) where it's set (e.g. do they make it up to the Wall), and 2) how long after The Sworn Sword does it take place?"" Maybe he would have refused to answer, but, no risk, no reward).

nov 2005

Its swords Joff needs, not toasts, she snapped. His realm is still plagued with would-be usurpers and self-styled kings.

But not for long, I think, said Varys unctuously.

Wasn't the simple reading that Tywin had things well in hand (sorry) and that Joff's rival were being dealt with very effectively?

Fwiw there's one where an audience member talks about wanting to ask Grrm this but didn't get the chance. I don't think there's one where grrm actually discusses.

nov 2005

Thanks. I had found that one myself as well, but it isn't the one I remember. Perhaps I'm remembering a combination of statements about D&E stories..

Too bad.. There aren't any other hints about the time passed in between TSS and TMK, right? We only know that the year has turned, IIRC..

Thanks a lot, I couldn't find the chapter. :)

No probs.. ;)

The only one I am familiar with is Ser Morgarth the Merry = Elder Brother over at the Pawn to Player thread

Here it is

I have a very different thesis on his identity, one I will post as a thread likely this coming week, once Easter is over and done with. :)

Although my taxes aren't done yet (we file at the end of the month, though there is a 5 day extension this year :) )

Of course but this is Varys and offtimes his words have double meanings.

I just reread that passage in context. The only two other entendres I can think of would be Varys's secret plans regarding Aegon, either that Joffrey will soon be dead or that Aegon will pacify the realm. I think the simple meaning was all that was intended by the George.

Archived