Small Questions v 10078

Stubby

I think he would be King Consort and only allowed to sit the throne in Rhaenyra's absence if she named him Hand as well.

Well, he did take for himself the title "Protector of the Realm" which is traditionally given to the ruling monarch, suggesting that he would've probably taken an active role in the ruling of the Realm. The Hand of the Queen was Lord Corlys though - not that he couldn't have been replaced.

Also; has the board been moved around? I'm seeing the Show sub-forums above the books now.

Yeah. They usually do that during the period the series is airing (and a little afterwards too, iirc). I guess that's because of all the people coming to discuss the series rather than the books.

It can be a little annoying for some of us, but then again the harm done could be much greater the other way around. Unsullied series-watchers could see thread titles like "Is Aegon VI real?!" in the "last thread" thingie and get spoiled.

Well, he did take for himself the title "Protector of the Realm" which is traditionally given to the ruling monarch, suggesting that he would've probably taken an active role in the ruling of the Realm. The Hand of the Queen was Lord Corlys though - not that he couldn't have been replaced.

Thats a good point. Do we know if Aemond sat the throne (I remember he wore the crown, so I would assume...) while Aegon II was incapacitated?

Yeah. They usually do that during the period the series is airing (and a little afterwards too, iirc). I guess that's because of all the people coming to discuss the series rather than the books.

It can be a little annoying for some of us, but then again the harm done could be much greater the other way around. Unsullied series-watchers could see thread titles like "Is Aegon VI real?!" in the "last thread" thingie and get spoiled.

Wait, there's a show?

Thats a good point. Do we know if Aemond sat the throne (I remember he wore the crown, so I would assume...) while Aegon II was incapacitated?

I suspect the Protector of the Realm is the marshal of the armies. Normally that would be the king but in the case of a boy or a woman (sorry ladies) or a bookish monarch with a martial brother I suspect not.

back to the knightly discussion, stannis has to be a knight, he's the one that knighted Davos....

and he wasnt a lord yet at the time of the seige of SE

Good point about Stannis. Only a knight can make a knight, and even if we assume that a King can make a knight as well (though we don't really know if this is the case), Stannis knighted Davos personally, and thus, must have been a knight himself, especially since Davos' knighting seems to have taken place shortly after the Rebellion ended, and Stannis did not become Lord of Dragonstone until 287AC (though I can't think of why he did not become lord of Dragonstone immediately in 284AC.. Why would that have taken 4 years?).

Good point about Stannis. Only a knight can make a knight, and even if we assume that a King can make a knight as well (though we don't really know if this is the case), Stannis knighted Davos personally, and thus, must have been a knight himself, especially since Davos' knighting seems to have taken place shortly after the Rebellion ended, and Stannis did not become Lord of Dragonstone until 287AC (though I can't think of why he did not become lord of Dragonstone immediately in 284AC.. Why would that have taken 4 years?).

Where is this confirmed/mentioned? I always thought he was named lord after his assault on Dragonstone.

Where is this confirmed/mentioned? I always thought he was named lord after his assault on Dragonstone.

I originally thought this too, but maester Cressen mentions in early 299AC that he came to Dragonstone with Stannis "12 years past", so in 287AC.

Edit: I looked it up, it says "some 12 years ago", so it might have been somewhat earlier. But between 299AC and 284AC are 15 years.. If it really had been 15 years, I'd think Cressen would have said 15 years, and not "some twelve years", because 12 seems a strange number to round up to.

I originally thought this too, but maester Cressen mentions in early 299AC that he came to Dragonstone with Stannis "12 years past", so in 287AC.

Edit: I looked it up, it says "some 12 years ago", so it might have been somewhat earlier. But between 299AC and 284AC are 15 years.. If it really had been 15 years, I'd think Cressen would have said 15 years, and not "some twelve years", because 12 seems a strange number to round up to.

That is strange coz Cressen also says that Renly has been lord of SE for thirteen years. Meaning Robert named Renly Lord of SE a full year before naming Stannis Lord of DS. Perhaps Stannis was named lord earlier but Cressen has only served him for twelve years.

I was thinking Robert delayed appointing Stannis because he was annoyed over the fact Stannis did not stop the ship carrying Ser Willem Darry, Viserys and Dany, very unfairly because Stannis was on his way to Dragonstone when Darry smuggled them out. Maybe Robert thought Stannis should have blindly sent out the fleet to try to find the ship. Or maybe he was angry that it took Stannis 9 months to build a fleet, and the pregnant Queen Rhaella should have been killed there earlier, together with Viserys. But a three year gap doesn't make sense, even taking into account Robert's anger.

Cressen was the maester at Storm's End. The exact quote from Cressen is

A maester must go where he is sent, so Cressen had come here with his lord some twelve years past, and he had served, and served well.

Normally you would think that meant he came to Dragonstone when Stannis did, but Stannis came in 284. The three year gap really is inexplicable, unless Stannis settled in at Dragonstone first, then told Robert he needed a maester, and it took time to get word to Oldtown, and Oldtown took it's time finding a replacement for Cressen at Storm's End. Once the appointment was made, Stannis would have brought him to Dragonstone, I would think.

I was thinking Robert delayed appointing Stannis because he was annoyed over the fact Stannis did not stop the ship carrying Ser Willem Darry, Viserys and Dany, very unfairly because Stannis was on his way to Dragonstone when Darry smuggled them out. Maybe Robert thought Stannis should have blindly sent out the fleet to try to find the ship. Or maybe he was angry that it took Stannis 9 months to build a fleet, and the pregnant Queen Rhaella should have been killed there earlier, together with Viserys. But a three year gap doesn't make sense, even taking into account Robert's anger.

Cressen was the maester at Storm's End. The exact quote from Cressen is

Normally you would think that meant he came to Dragonstone when Stannis did, but Stannis came in 284. The three year gap really is inexplicable, unless Stannis settled in at Dragonstone first, then told Robert he needed a maester, and it took time to get word to Oldtown, and Oldtown took it's time finding a replacement for Cressen at Storm's End. Once the appointment was made, Stannis would have brought him to Dragonstone, I would think.

The royal fleet was at Dragonstone before KL fell. There were no ships for Stannis to take. He had to build them and then take Dragonstone. Based on the general dates of the Trident and the Sack of KL, it probably took 7-8 months to build the ships and take Dragonstone.

So by interesting coincidence, I was paging through Storm of Swords this morning looking for details on Dany's conquest of Meereen, and I stumbled on this. Page 811 in the 2000 paperback edition with the shiny blue sword on the cover:

Dany questioning Barristan:

"...but you abandoned Viserys in his exile and bent your knee to the Usurper instead. Why? And tell it true."

"Some truths are hard to hear. Robert was a...a good knight...chivalrous, brave...he spared my life, and the lives of many others...."

Barristan thinks Robert was a knight. I'm inclined to believe Robert was a knight.

That Renly has been the Lord of Storm's End for the past 13 years (in 299AC) and Cressen came to Dragonstone with Stannis "some 12 years past" lines up. Both events took place 13 years ago, in 286AC (making the gap a little smaller).

Cressen's quote is:

A maester must go where he is sent, so Cressen had come here with his lord some twelve years past, and he had served, and served well.

He went to Dragonstone with his lord, indicating that when Cressen went to Dragonstone for the first time, Stannis went to Dragonstone for the first time as the lord.

With Dragonstone only in Robert's possession in 284AC, that leaves a gap of 2-2,5 years. Such a gap in time can be explained, perhaps, by Robert not knowing what to do with Dragonstone..

She was walking down a long hall beneath high stone arches. --From Daenerys's fever dream before she smothers Drogo...

Have we seen anyb other structures with a long hall supported by high stone rches? Dragonstone? Braavos? Pentos? Meereen? King's Landing?

She was walking down a long hall beneath high stone arches. --From Daenerys's fever dream before she smothers Drogo...

Have we seen anyb other structures with a long hall supported by high stone rches? Dragonstone? Braavos? Pentos? Meereen? King's Landing?

Arches have been described at Dragonstone, but no mention of them being high, or in a long hall. (Clash)

The other arches mentioned are all in Braavos, but they all seem to be outside. (Feast)

In Dance, several arches are mentioned, but none fit your description..

Archived