Small Questions v 10078

Stubby

Hey,

stumbled upon somethin I couldn't explain to myself.

I was reading the titles of the show episodes, and one was "The Rains of Castamere" (S03E09 Red Wedding)

And well I was wondering why it is called "Rains" because the House Tywin did annihilate House Reyne. And then I saw in the wiki it is called Reins in the Song. Why is that?

It is an intended play on words. "Reynes" sounds like "rains", which is what makes the song so dramatic and beautiful.

The RAINS weep o'er his hall; you can also understand that as "it's raining down on his hall".

Well thank you. I was always under the impression the song is also called "The Reynes of Castamere" ;)

that this wordjuggling does add some fine new touch to the song I couldn't see.

And Roddy the Ruin rocks! ;)

Don't feel bad, my favorite character is "thick as a castle wall", doesn't make either one of them less great though. :)

Yeah, except Dunk's not dumb at all. He's unlettered, which is different from being stupid. Dunk's actually very, very sharp, particularly given his background. He makes mistakes, mostly due to being young, but he catches himself and corrects quickly, which is the true mark of intelligence. No one is right all the time, particularly in unfamiliar circumstances. He made it to Commander of the Kingsguard when that actually meant something. Not stupid.

I think the reason that I see Victarion as stupid is more that he's one of those people I've sometimes run into in real life who believe that (1) anything they don't know is not worth knowing and (2) anyone who proves them wrong on point one needs to be destroyed for making a fool of them. He reminds me of a guy I worked for once who made fun of the fact that I referred to something as a "kerfuffle" (that is, a minor fight or dustup without serious effect) because he didn't believe it was a real word. He got mad at me when I indicated that it was, in fact, a real word and not even that uncommon. Dude, it's not my fault if your vocabulary is lacking; you could just ask me what the word means instead of insisting that because you haven't heard it, it can't be real. Not my fault you're wrong. Some people prefer to be confidently wrong than to actually admit there's something they don't know. Tell me you haven't run into this kind of personality right on this very board. :devil:

This is like the Dothraki Sea thing -- yeah, the guy shouldn't have mocked Victarion, but Vic had the opportunity to learn something important there and it didn't even occur to him that he might have the wrong idea of what the "Dothraki Sea" was. And then he killed the guy for explaining it to him.

Victarion is totally the guy you wouldn't want to work for because you could never bring him bad news; you know he'd kill the messenger. Which is stupid.

Yeah, except Dunk's not dumb at all. He's unlettered, which is different from being stupid. Dunk's actually very, very sharp, particularly given his background. He makes mistakes, mostly due to being young, but he catches himself and corrects quickly, which is the true mark of intelligence. No one is right all the time, particularly in unfamiliar circumstances. He made it to Commander of the Kingsguard when that actually meant something. Not stupid.

I think the reason that I see Victarion as stupid is more that he's one of those people I've sometimes run into in real life who believe that (1) anything they don't know is not worth knowing and (2) anyone who proves them wrong on point one needs to be destroyed for making a fool of them. He reminds me of a guy I worked for once who made fun of the fact that I referred to something as a "kerfuffle" (that is, a minor fight or dustup without serious effect) because he didn't believe it was a real word. He got mad at me when I indicated that it was, in fact, a real word and not even that uncommon. Dude, it's not my fault if your vocabulary is lacking; you could just ask me what the word means instead of insisting that because you haven't heard it, it can't be real. Not my fault you're wrong. Some people prefer to be confidently wrong than to actually admit there's something they don't know. Tell me you haven't run into this kind of personality right on this very board. :devil:

This is like the Dothraki Sea thing -- yeah, the guy shouldn't have mocked Victarion, but Vic had the opportunity to learn something important there and it didn't even occur to him that he might have the wrong idea of what the "Dothraki Sea" was. And then he killed the guy for explaining it to him.

Victarion is totally the guy you wouldn't want to work for because you could never bring him bad news; you know he'd kill the messenger. Which is stupid.

Looks like the George wasn't the only one who got pantsed in middle school. Just kidding. I knew lots of guys like this in the military. They were extremely loyal and and good friends.

That he does :)

I hope we'll get another glimpse at him in the King's Brother, even though I realize chances are pretty slim.

Not to disappoint, but unless I am mistaken Rogues is supposed to end before the Dance of Dragons begins. Sorry :(

Looks like the George wasn't the only one who got pantsed in middle school. Just kidding. I knew lots of guys like this in the military. They were extremely loyal and and good friends.

Wait, guys who think they know it all and get angry when it turns out they don't make good friends? What did you do, just never ever ever tell them they were wrong about anything? Or be sure to never let them know that you knew more about something than they did?

Sounds like an exhausting and unrewarding sort of friendship to me, but different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Wait, guys who think they know it all and get angry when it turns out they don't make good friends? What did you do, just never ever ever tell them they were wrong about anything? Or be sure to never let them know that you knew more about something than they did?

Sounds like an exhausting and unrewarding sort of friendship to me, but different strokes for different folks, I guess.

That's the key.

That's the key.

My question was serious though: Is that what you have to do to get along with these Victarion types? Just never let them know that they're wrong? Because I come from a science background and that kind of attitude is obviously not acceptable in a science lab. I guess I can see where a military background (like Vic's) might tend to breed that kind of "Don't question me! I'm right even when I'm wrong!" attitude because you don't want to stop and answer questions in the middle of combat. But that may be where GRRM's assessment of Vic as "not that smart" arises from. While it might be better in combat to do what you're told instead of questioning the guy in charge, I suspect it's going to bite Vic in the butt as it tends to bite military veterans when they return to the civilian world. I've read that companies sometimes shy aware from hiring veterans because they want their employees to be able to take initiative and think critically and so on and guys who have had "The boss is always right even when the boss is wrong!" drummed into them for years just aren't very good at shifting away from that kind of thinking.

I think it's very interesting that the most central characters, who are usually considered to be Jon, Tyrion, and Dany, all have a great deal of strength in the area of being flexible and quick to adapt their thinking when shown that they're wrong about something, while characters who can't be flexible, like Ned, get killed. Jon reassesses the Wildlings after living with them for a while, Dany has to adjust to the Dothraki, and Tyrion has to constantly adapt to the wild winds of fortune that keep blowing him around.

I never said Dunk was stupid, nor did I say Vic wasn't, I was simply pointing out that a character doesn't have to have Maester Aemon's or Missandei's intelligence to be great characters. Personally I think Vic is comedic gold, his chapters add a liitle humor to an otherwise heavy form of writing. You need all kinds of links to make a chain just like you need all kinds of people to make a realm, the same works for a story. If everybody was a Jon, or Dany, or Tyrion this thing would have gotten boring after the first book.

My question was serious though: Is that what you have to do to get along with these Victarion types? Just never let them know that they're wrong? **Good idea.** Because I come from a science background and that kind of attitude is obviously not acceptable in a science lab. I guess I can see where a military background (like Vic's) might tend to breed that kind of "Don't question me! I'm right even when I'm wrong!" attitude because you don't want to stop and answer questions in the middle of combat. **Good observation** But that may be where GRRM's assessment of Vic as "not that smart" arises from. **The George wrote him that way** While it might be better in combat to do what you're told instead of questioning the guy in charge, I suspect it's going to bite Vic in the butt as it tends to bite military veterans when they return to the civilian world. I've read that companies sometimes shy aware from hiring veterans because they want their employees to be able to take initiative and think critically and so on and guys who have had "The boss is always right even when the boss is wrong!" drummed into them for years just aren't very good at shifting away from that kind of thinking. **This stereotype is a misconception. The US military, and I suspect most other advanced military forces, want their NCOs and officers to exercise initiative. In the Army you practice certain maneuvers and learn to adapt them to the terrain and the situation you face. But to maneuver as a unit everybody has to be on the same page.**

I think it's very interesting that the most central characters, who are usually considered to be Jon, Tyrion, and Dany, all have a great deal of strength in the area of being flexible and quick to adapt their thinking when shown that they're wrong about something, while characters who can't be flexible, like Ned, get killed. Jon reassesses the Wildlings after living with them for a while, Dany has to adjust to the Dothraki, and Tyrion has to constantly adapt to the wild winds of fortune that keep blowing him around.

Can someone please point me to a good thread discussing the meaning of "The North remembers"?

For some reason I never learned how to use the Search function efficiently.

I'm not sure if there is one. BTW, I had trouble with the search function for a while, too. I can use it now. I find it easier to hit the "gear" button next to magnifying glass when conducting a search

Did all the Targaryen Kings have "the Rhoynar" added their the list of people they were Kings of? Or was Daeron I the fist King to do so? Or Daeron II and after?

I am fairly sure I came across a King pre-conquest of Dorne using the full style. It was likely in tPatQ, I'll check when I get home.

In any case, it could be a mistake by Gyldayn who was likely used to hearing the three peoples mentioned when heralding the King.

Archived