Small Questions v 10078

Stubby

it appears as if there are 3 aegon theories

1) one is he's legitimately rhaegar targaryen's kid, swapped by varys

2) another, is the blackfyre/brightflame theory, in which case he could very well unite 2 or even 3 out of the bloodlines (3 heads)

3) lastly, he could just be some kid raised form birth to pose as a targaryen, has no targ in him whatsoever.

the consensus seems to be number two being the most popular theory

The Brightflame is a relatively recent variation of the more popular Blsckfyre theory. The original theory is that Varys and Serra are Blackfyre descendants with Aegon being the son of Illyrio and Serra. The Brightflame theory suggests that Varys is a descendant and Illyrio is the Blackfyre, Aegon again being the son of Illyrio and Serra.

I didn't want to embarrass myself by creating a whole thread for this so hopefully I can get answer here, why does Cersei say to Ned that all he had to do was simply sit upon the Iron Throne and dub himself King of the Seven Kingdoms, Wouldn't he have had to then wage war against Robert and God knows who else?

I didn't want to embarrass myself by creating a whole thread for this so hopefully I can get answer here, why does Cersei say to Ned that all he had to do was simply sit upon the Iron Throne and dub himself King of the Seven Kingdoms, Wouldn't he have had to then wage war against Robert and God knows who else?

If I remember right she was suggesting that Ned let Sansa wed Joffrey (who was still a minor) and thus Ned would continue to rule as Lord Protector and/or Hand and know that one day his grandson would be king.

If I remember right she was suggesting that Ned let Sansa wed Joffrey (who was still a minor) and thus Ned would continue to rule as Lord Protector and/or Hand and know that one day his grandson would be king.

I think it fed into the line about winning or dying when you play the game of thrones.

This might be a medium sized question...

When he'd forced Catelyn to accept her protectors, she had insisted that he be guarded as well, and the lords bannermen had agreed. Many of their sons had clamored for the honor of riding with the Young Wolf, as they had taken to calling him. Torrhen Karstark and his brother Eddard were among his thirty, and Patrek Mallister, Smalljon Umber, Daryn Hornwood, Theon Greyjoy, no less than five of Walder Frey's vast brood, along with older men like Ser Wendel Manderly and Robin Flint. One of his companions was even a woman: Dacey Mormont, Lady Maege's eldest daughter and heir to Bear Island, a lanky six-footer who had been given a morningstar at an age when most girls were given dolls.

How old is Lyessa Flint and who is her baby-to-be's daddy?

Robin is her grown son, some years older than Theon, who is four years older than Robb. He's apparently closer in age to Wendel Manderly, who's older brother has a 19 year old daughter.

Robin is her grown son, some years older than Theon, who is four years older than Robb. He's apparently closer in age to Wendel Manderly, who's older brother has a 19 year old daughter.

Are you sure the pregnant Lady Flint and Lady Lyessa are the same person? There are two Houses with the Flint name. Maybe the pregnant one is from Flint's Finger and Robin's mother is from Widow's Watch, or vice versa.

Edit: Seems the wiki refutes that possibility, both naming Lyessa as Robin's mother and claiming she's pregnant. Ah, well, who knows. If Robin was her first born and he is in his mid-to-late 20s, she might be in her early 40s. As far as the father goes - he might be a consort-type of figure (that is, a Flint by marriage, but not a Lord in his own right).

Hey guys, probably a silly question that's been answered a lot of times on here, but how old are the Stark children at the end of ADWD?

thanks

Robb died a little les than a year before at the age of 16

Jon is either still 16, or has just turned 17

Arya is 11

Sansa is 13

Rickon is 5, close to turning 6

Bran will be still be 9, close to turning 10.

It's about the right of Conquest. Ned arrived first, and thus could have claimed the throne for himself if he had wanted. Surely that would have caused arguments, but he could have chosen to do it had he desired the throne.

This might be a medium sized question...

When he'd forced Catelyn to accept her protectors, she had insisted that he be guarded as well, and the lords bannermen had agreed. Many of their sons had clamored for the honor of riding with the Young Wolf, as they had taken to calling him. Torrhen Karstark and his brother Eddard were among his thirty, and Patrek Mallister, Smalljon Umber, Daryn Hornwood, Theon Greyjoy, no less than five of Walder Frey's vast brood, along with older men like Ser Wendel Manderly and Robin Flint. One of his companions was even a woman: Dacey Mormont, Lady Maege's eldest daughter and heir to Bear Island, a lanky six-footer who had been given a morningstar at an age when most girls were given dolls.

Wendel and Wylis are both older than 34 in 298AC, since they are both older tham Catelyn. They seem to be in their late 30ties, early 40ties, which aligns with Wylis' eldest child being 19, and Lord Manderly himself being past 60 (IIRC). If Davey Mormont can be used as a measure, she is in her mid to late twenties, which would make Robin older than that. That seems to put Robin in his early 30ties, IMO, which is fairly possible. His mother is the lady of Widows Watch, indicating that she had no brothers and inherited young (otherwise her son would have inherited). Being a young, female heir, becoming a lady makes the needs for having heirs absolutely necessary. If Robin is indeed in his early 30ties, his mother, at her youngest, would be in her mid 40ties, having had the age of 14 at the minimum when birthing Robin. Mid 40ties is a dangerous age to be pregnant, but not impossible (look at Rhaella Targaryen).

This is all from memory, I'll check my notes when I get home.

But the quote in Clash, about lady Flint being pregnant, does not explicitly state that it's Lady Lyessa who is pregnant. Is there any other quote confirming that they are one and the same person?

Because there are multiple houses Flint, and the way I originally read it, was that Lady Flint couldn't come to Winterfell because she was pregnant, and that no one from Widows Watch could come because there was sickness there. If Lyessa was the pregnant woman, her pregnancy would be reason enough not to come, the mentioning of the sickness would not be necessary.

Wendel and Wylis are both older than 34 in 298AC, since they are both older tham Catelyn. They seem to be in their late 30ties, early 40ties, which aligns with Wylis' eldest child being 19, and Lord Manderly himself being past 60 (IIRC). If Davey Mormont can be used as a measure, she is in her mid to late twenties, which would make Robin older than that. That seems to put Robin in his early 30ties, IMO, which is fairly possible. His mother is the lady of Widows Watch, indicating that she had no brothers and inherited young (otherwise her son would have inherited). Being a young, female heir, becoming a lady makes the needs for having heirs absolutely necessary. If Robin is indeed in his early 30ties, his mother, at her youngest, would be in her mid 40ties, having had the age of 14 at the minimum when birthing Robin. Mid 40ties is a dangerous age to be pregnant, but not impossible (look at Rhaella Targaryen).

This is all from memory, I'll check my notes when I get home.

But the quote in Clash, about lady Flint being pregnant, does not explicitly state that it's Lady Lyessa who is pregnant. Is there any other quote confirming that they are one and the same person?

Because there are multiple houses Flint, and the way I originally read it, was that Lady Flint couldn't come to Winterfell because she was pregnant, and that no one from Widows Watch could come because there was sickness there. If Lyessa was the pregnant woman, her pregnancy would be reason enough not to come, the mentioning of the sickness would not be necessary.

Holding men back? WW is under House Manderly's influence...

I think it's very interesting that the most central characters, who are usually considered to be Jon, Tyrion, and Dany, all have a great deal of strength in the area of being flexible and quick to adapt their thinking when shown that they're wrong about something, while characters who can't be flexible, like Ned, get killed. Jon reassesses the Wildlings after living with them for a while, Dany has to adjust to the Dothraki, and Tyrion has to constantly adapt to the wild winds of fortune that keep blowing him around.

That's a really good point, where does Stannis fit into this hypothesis? He is generally considered to be inflexible, but has been very good at adapting to circumstances. finding a way to defeat Renly, going to the wall, if the prevailing theory with regards to the battle of ice pans out showing excellent ability to fit in to the terain that fate has thrown up for him. but he is constantly described as being single minded. he would break before he bends

A description of a white walker/other and their armour is given in the prologue of AGoT:

“Tall, it was, and gaunt and hard as old bones, with flesh pale as milk. Its armor seemed to change color as it moved; here it was white as new-fallen snow, there black as shadow, everywhere dappled with the deep grey-green of the trees. The patterns ran like moonlight on water with every step it took.”

“Will saw its eyes; blue, deeper and bluer than any human eyes, a blue that burned like ice.”

Sounds like a pale skinned predator in battle armour

No one's been able to answer this for me:

Varys is supposedly pro-Targ, why did Varys talk shit about Rhaegar to Aerys, blatantly feeding Aerys his paranoia and "creating" the "Mad" King he became.

If he was pro targ, why talk shit about beloved Rhaegar?

I have always wondered this too. Varys always claims that he was doing whatever he did for "the good of the realm", but this was just sowing discord. I think that he is playing Illyrio as well. Ilyrio thinks that he is going to get the riches of westeros at some point, but Varys has been in a position of power for long enough to have made some moves in that direction. when they are in the cellars of the red keep in GOT when Arya has been chasing cats, varys is telling him to wait, we are not ready yet, etc. but surely he was in a position to get rid of LF and suggest a finance minister from another land that would be better than Baelish had ever been.

oh im well aware of the vary/sillyrio threads lol.

i think im trying to just piece together the motive behind talking rhaegar.

youre right though, not a question for "small questions"

was this a freudian typo, or do you think that the theories are actually very/silly :P

Good point.

If their ultimate goal was to put a Blackfyre on the Throne, getting close to the King would be a good idea no matter what though - even if the heir wasn't even born yet.

(Ninja'd by Helena)

ETA:

If you buy the Blackfyre theory, creating enmity between Rhaegar and Aerys makes perfect sense, imo. And there was truth to build on, which is exactly Varys' MO for creating discord.

For all we know, Rhaegar started toying with the idea of seizing the power long before the tourney at Harrenhal. If that was the case, there was no way Varys could foresee Robert's Rebellion changing everything in the balance of power. Throwing oil on the embers that might have been Aerys and his son's relationship at the time was the best option to create chaos.

I find it found it funny that people say that Varys is a liar, then use what he told tMK to say that Rhaegar was plotting behind his back. What ever Varys'/Mop plan were they have changed thru time. What we do know is the Rhaegar told Jaime, and that he hadn't done anything like that, but he had made up his mind to do so then. (which also means that in Rhaegar mind what happened w/ Lyssa wasn't a bad thing).

IMO Ned has some Targ blood in him, which is why Ned tells Robert, "you had the better claim" which basically means there was another claim. No it wouldn't have lead to war as Robert didn't really want the crown, he wanted the Targs out.

Hey guys, probably a silly question that's been answered a lot of times on here, but how old are the Stark children at the end of ADWD?

thanks

While it isn't defined the series from start to aDwD is between 3 to 4 of Westeros. aGoT last around 16 months (late 297 thru 298), aCoK and aSoS last about a year (299), aFFC about a year (300) and aDwD covers the same year plus at least another 6 months.

Archived