[Book Spoilers] EP402 Discussion

Ran

That was gruesome. Like his death in the books, I'm not sure I can applaud it.

The looks on several characters faces before the death were important. Tywin's, Olenna's, Margaery's, Oberyn's..... I can see that the creators are trying to keep the Unsullied guessing as to who poisoned the King.

yes, QoT could have done something, but the way they are framing the scene they are making it appear that it can only be him even though the two times he filled the goblet everyone was watching him.

no, we all don't know it's not Tyrion...some people do, some don't. People watching the show who have never read the books may not have any clue there could be someone other than Tyrion - especially since (as things stand right now) there were no gems mising from Sansa's necklace.

Ohhh you missed the part where Lady O fussed with Sansa then. Watch the repeat.

She clearly plucks at the necklace. Which isn't obvious if you aren't looking, but they did make a point of Sansa touching the cup.

Edited by Fool of a Book

Joffrey should have been coughing before he drank the wine. That would have made it more ambiguous as to who murdered Joffrey. Here, they seem to try to make it more clear cut that it was Tyrion, even though there doesn't seem to have been any opportunity to poison the wine.

yes, the way the scene was filmed really makes it look like it was tyrion. does hbo want us to think it was him? why doesn't it look like a stone is missing from sansa's necklace?

while the wedding scene was awesome and the tension, fabulous, it removes all sympathy for joffrey's murder. i know grrm has said he really tried to make us feel that a child was murdered through cersei's grief. having cersei go into bitch mode so quickly as well as joff's over the top behavior seconds before the wine made that impossible.

It was sad, definitely not a good death.

They were definitely showing us the Queen of T being next to the cup. Although they should have made Tyrion's innocence a little more ambiguous.

Look, the point is, for the purposes of framing the story in the TV show, irrespective of what happens in the book, they sorta have to make it look like it was probably Tyrion, BUT that it's conceivable it could have been someone else.

I think they pulled it off with as many places as that cup went.

That said, if D&D really want to pull a shocking swerve on us, they'll make it so that the poison was... dun dun dun... in the PIE.

while the wedding scene was awesome and the tension, fabulous, it removes all sympathy for joffrey's murder. i know grrm has said he really tried to make us feel that a child was murdered through cersei's grief. having cersei go into bitch mode so quickly as well as joff's over the top behavior seconds before the wine made that impossible.

GRRM was kidding himself there. If you want people to feel a bit sad at a child being killed, don't make him a one-dimensional psychopath without a single redeeming quality. Nobody was ever going to feel sad that Joffrey died.

The stannis scene ruined the whole episode for me.

I cant possibly think of a more effective way to demonize a character.

but he was so clearly not happy about it! i think they're really showing he's not in the same camp as mel and selyse.

Ohhh you missed the part where lady O fussed with Sansa then. Watch the repeat.

No one missed that scene - you could see that all the stones were still there.

Unless that was the reason they changed the stones to pale blue instead of deep purple, so we would miss the fact a stone was missing.

Loving the Spanish tweets. "Y SANSA AYUNDADO A TYRION. AY, MIS FEELS" ("And Sansa helping Tyrion. Oh, my feels"). :D

There wasn't that moment from the books where Tyrion deliberately poured out the rest of the wine in the cup, was there?

Did Tommen even have one line?

Edited by Newstar