[Book Spoilers] EP402 Discussion

Ran

*Really don't like the direction they went with Shae, I think they should have made her just another whore instead of an angry lover regarding her betrayal, it was much more soul-crushing for Tyrion.

True. In retrospect, though, they've been laying the groundwork for Shae as furious scorned lover for a while now.

Edited by Newstar

Nah, they just don't give a fuck about him. Alive or dead, he is no real threat to them.

Even his offensive dwarf charicature is a lazy afterthought compared to the others. He just yells "I'm drowning!" at one point.

Har. We are gonna get some Banana Peel of Off Screen Doom i believe.

The show did a pretty damn good job. I just wished they didn't focus so much on Olenna during Tyrion/Joffrey chalice scene at the end or have her call out the choke job. Made it kinda too obvious after that... and Sansa is really beautiful. Her facial expressions alone were worthy of the screentime.

Erm, Brienne's love for Jaime is canon. She thinks it when Stoneheart's hanging her. She can do something for honor but still feel love for someone.

Also the scene doesn't even have to mean that she definitely loves Jaime. It just means that the question has taken her aback and she's now questioning how she feels about someone she hated just a few weeks ago. She doesn't have an obvious answer and she doesn't recover quickly when questioned by his sister of all people. That has to be awkward.

Sure, she probably does but that scene doesn't have to be the final word.

I dunno about justification, but after 4x02 I can see why Shae would testify out of revenge, assuming that she isn't being compelled or forced: TV Shae really did love Tyrion, and she really thought she could have a life with him. It's pretty cold to pull the "You're only my whore" line, when he had been treating her as something much closer to a wife prior to his marriage to Sansa. He told her he loved her several times. No wonder Shae's so devastated to have her status as a whore thrown in her face and to be lumped in with Tyrion's other prostitutes, by a man who professed to love her.

It's only because Shae is a moron and has been told multiple times that shit won't work out but she's apparently too dumb to hear.You would think that a whore who was a camp follower and then a handmaiden to one of the greatest victims of the Lannisters, one who was poised to see exactly what happened in court to people who came to the attention of Joff or his family would know better.

If a guy tells you to leave for your own safety and then you refuse, then he bashes you over the head and forces you to leave then you should know what's up.

But no,still not "just".

But of course, that doesn't mean it won't happen. I hope not, but it's possible. As someone said above: they could just take her at this emotional time and force her to confess. It's not like she's in a particularly good mood. It's possible she just takes up with Tywin there.

True. In retrospect, though, they've been laying the groundwork for Shae as furious scorned lover for a while now.

Yes. Block by agonizing block. Glad that's over with.

Edited by Castel

I don't believe the love she has for Jaime in the books is the same love she has for Renly; with Jaime it is almost like a sibling thing, like a brother. They've been through a lot together; it is, for lack of a better comparison, a love between men who fight together, like what Robert and Ned had-brothers bound by war and hardship. The love she has for Jaime isn't the same as what she felt for Renly. I mean if that's your point I guess I see that slightly but still her honor to Cat is the main reason she heads out and she feels like she owes Jaime as well. That wasn't what Cersei meant tonight when she asked her, and her response didn't indicate that either, so it's just likely, knowing how the show operates, that they will try to make that the main motivation.

Erm, Brienne's love for Jaime is canon. She thinks it when Stoneheart's hanging her. She can do something for honor but still feel love for someone.

Oh, I love Natalie Dormer's little expressions, like her "contempt to delight" expression when the pie comes.

Also the scene doesn't even have to mean that she definitely loves Jaime. It just means that the question has taken her aback and she's now questioning how she feels about someone she hated just a few weeks ago. She doesn't have an obvious answer and she doesn't recover quickly when questioned by his sister of all people. That has to be awkward.

Sure, she probably does but that scene doesn't have to be the final word.

It's only because Shae is a moron and has been told multiple times that shit won't work out but she's apparently too dumb to hear.You would think that a whore who was a camp follower and then a handmaiden to one of the greatest victims of the Lannisters, one who was poised to see exactly what happened in court to people who came to the attention of Joff or his family would know better.

If a guy tells you to leave for your own safety and then you refuse, then he bashes you over the head and forces you to leave then you should know what's up.

But no,still not "just".

But of course, that doesn't mean it won't happen. I hope not, but it's possible. As someone said above: they could just take her at this emotional time and force her to confess. It's not like she's in a particularly good mood. It's possible she just takes up with Tywin there.

when shit like that happens on tv its LOVE

Of course Bronn lied to Tyrion. They will reveal later on that Bronn is a true sellsword and whoever pays him the most is who he works for. Tywin and Cersei both have more money than Tyrion so of course Bronn will take their side.

Still, Bronn will remain bros with Tyrion since he names his son Tyrion.

Tyrion will kill Shae. The show loves the omg moments so it will be asinine if they went any other route.

Edited by 3lite

Ramsay giving Fat Walda a nice welcome was unexpected. But that's the way Ramsay operates...he'll give you a friendly first impression and gradually reveal what a monster is. If something ever happened to Roose, Ramsay would eat Fat Walda alive.

Ramsay's welcome didn't look all that nice to me; there was something really odd about his face, the smile too facile and the eyes looked evil. Good acting by Rheon. If I were Walda, I'd go home to Freyville (or try to get Ramsay killed) ASAP.

Everyone was so focused on the necklace, did anybody catch what Olenna said to Sansa:

I lol'd my butt off when she said this.

Most people believe she's behind it but the show pretty much set it up that it was her. I always wondered if if was Garlan, but I don't think he exists in the show.

They did an excellent job, once again, of writing Sansa out of her own POV chapter. She had, what, two lines, and no scenes of her own? And no agency whatsoever.

The death was handled fairly nicely.

The Bolton scenes were quite good, actually, which is a nice change of pace.

I'm glad they did that with Sansa, as Tyrion's perspective is far more important here. Agree with you about the Boltons. I was fearing more Ramsay after the monotony of last season, but the interactions with Roose were really good.

There's absolutely no way Shae left. Not only do we not see her leaving and even the Unsullied are left believing that she probably didn't leave given the way the scene was handled, her presence in the Tower of the Hand is too paramount to Tyrion's rationale behind killing Tywin. It exposes Tywin--certainty not for the first but ultimately the last time--as a terrible hypocrite and the fact that Shae indeed was lying to Tyrion the whole time is foiled with the revelation that Tysha was indeed what Tyrion thought she was--only a crofter's daughter.

Although I'm no longer convinced the show chooses to go down the same road with Shae being a liar. In fact, the big change seems to be Tyrion lying to Shae because he think it'll save her life. I don't know how they are going to play the Tywin/Shae scene we can suspect (based on the trailers) is coming, but I get the feeling Tysha is cut, and Tyrion will go off looking for Shae in the end. This makes some sort of sense since no one is going to remember who Tysha is without the luxary of reading Tyrions inner monologue like we can in the books. This is a wobbly new direction they are taking, the only way I can see myself happy with it is if they eventually merge it with the Penny storyline. Penny needs to be cut. From the book (too late) and the show. If they send off Shae to have Tyrion find her later on in placed of Penny, that could work....maybe....

Joffrey's face was fantastic!

Bran's visions and Bloodraven's voice was great! Hope the Unsullied start noticing that Bran is very important and his storyline is intriguing.

Glad to see they are venturing into nasty Cersei once more. She is absolutely hateful in every scene she in. Lena did a good job. Starving the poor just to spite Margaery? That's your queen.

Very disappointed with Stannis' scene. Another instance of "hapless king Stannis in Melisandre's thralls".

Will Michael McElhatton ever be promoted to main cast? :crying: Guess we won't see him again until after Moat Caillin.

Shae and Tyrion... just :stillsick:

Everyone in the Dreadfort was brilliant, specially Allen.

Edited by Uncanny Watcher

I lol'd my butt off when she said this.

Most people believe she's behind it but the show pretty much set it up that it was her. I always wondered if if was Garlan, but I don't think he exists in the show.

Actually, when Tyrion told one of the servants to pay each of the dwarfs 20 pieces of Gold during that debacle he said something along the lines of "I'll find a better way to thank the King" or something to that effect which would lead show watchers to really believe it was Tyrion... regardless, trust me, there are people out there who really think Tyrion is responsible.