[Book Spoilers] EP402 Discussion

Ran

I should have added, "besides the Lannisters".

I loved Loras Not Giving A Fuck About Appearances and just storming right out of there.

Goes nicely with his speech to Jaime. After looking quite the pushover last season in his limited screen time, Loras appears to have a spine this season, which is all to the good.

Some thoughts/things that bothered me:

1. Saw it twice, and while I thought there might be a stone missing from the right side (Sansa's left) of the necklace.... I never actually saw Olenna take it, let alone touch the cup...

2. There was also literally no way Tyrion could have poisoned the wine, with the entire wedding party literally staring directly at him. There should literally be a multitude of witnesses that can testify he's innocent, with the way the show framed it.

3. Margery is handed the cup from Joffery, and purposely doesn't drink from it/sets it down. It's quite likely show Margery knew -something- was going to happen.

4. They don't at all run with the implication that it was Joffery who sent the assassin after Bran.... I can't for the life of me figure out why they'd leave that out.

5. Shae's storyline feels really awkard..... I'm not of the opinion that she gets whitewashed comepletely and survives, because her death is, imo, half of what really "breaks" Tyrion and sends him to that dark place for the next couple of books (the other half being the true story of Tysha)

6. The implication that Bronn, or Varys have betrayed Tyrion directly seems strange.

7. Loras and Oberyn eye****ing each other seemed odd too.... Aren't the Martells and Tyrells on very unfriendly terms?

8. Stannis being a believer.... da hell...?

9. Cersei as a -former- Queen Regeant was able to order Pycelle to directly contradict a decree from Joffery (announced by acting Queen Margery). It's the third time Cersei has -publicly- commited HIGH TREASON (The first being when she burns an official sealed letter from King Robert, and the second being when she slaps Joffery in the throne room)

10 The Brienne and Cersei scene...just struck me as weird.

The joust. Jesus... it's so... there is anybody there who wasn't either offended or disgusted?

Tommen seemed pretty amused until he saw that Tyrion was not in the least.

Cancel my earlier spec about "Robb" being a girl. When "Robb" says "I'm the King in the North!", it's clearly a masculine voice.

Well, she doesn't necessarily need to be tied to the dwarf joust.

Once Cersei puts the hit on Tyrion and people start decapitating dwarves willy-nilly, there's plenty of possibility for a male dwarf to be murdered and his surviving sister to blame him for it. She wouldn't recognize him this way, of course, but she can overhear him I.D. himself or he can see her crying, ask what's up, get the story, do a long silence for the viewers to connect the dots, then admit to her who he is as an answer she she invariably wails "why would someone want to kill him?" and then they're right back up to speed on this arc.

The show is taking different paths to the same major plot points. It's fun to not exactly know what's coming and what order it'o its coming in.

Not knowing what's coming next aside from some of the major plot points is one of the main draws of this show for me too. It's interesting to see how the showrunners tweak the original storyline here and there. I wouldn't be surprised to see Penny show up as a character later on when Tyrion washes up on a ship bound for Essos. There maybe one of the dwarf mummers from the band that was atot the wedding. Guess we'll have to see. Still so much show to go between now and then! :cheers:

Tommen seemed pretty amused until he saw that Tyrion was not in the least.

Cancel my earlier spec about "Robb" being a girl. When "Robb" says "I'm the King in the North!", it's clearly a masculine voice.

Yeah, I later corrected. Who besides the Lannisters? Everybody else could have killed JOffrey, tbh.

Stannis just used the word "infidel"

OH.MY.FUCK.

Melisandre should already have been saying "infidel" -- it's a perfectly sensible word for how she views non-believers, and fits in to our contemporary life. The audience immediately understands that the person uttering it is a religiously intolerant totalitarian.

But Stannis? Ridiculous. But, I suppose it's just more of the same thing that HBO has been doing in making his character dishonorable.

Some thoughts/things that bothered me:

1. Saw it twice, and while I thought there might be a stone missing from the right side (Sansa's left) of the necklace.... I never actually saw Olenna take it, let alone touch the cup...

2. There was also literally no way Tyrion could have poisoned the wine, with the entire wedding party literally staring directly at him. There should literally be a multitude of witnesses that can testify he's innocent, with the way the show framed it.

3. Margery is handed the cup from Joffery, and purposely doesn't drink from it/sets it down. It's quite likely show Margery knew -something- was going to happen.

4. They don't at all run with the implication that it was Joffery who sent the assassin after Bran.... I can't for the life of me figure out why they'd leave that out.

5. Shae's storyline feels really awkard..... I'm not of the opinion that she gets whitewashed comepletely and survives, because her death is, imo, half of what really "breaks" Tyrion and sends him to that dark place for the next couple of books (the other half being the true story of Tysha)

6. The implication that Bronn, or Varys have betrayed Tyrion directly seems strange.

7. Loras and Oberyn eye****ing each other seemed odd too.... Aren't the Martells and Tyrells on very unfriendly terms?

8. Stannis being a believer.... da hell...?

9. Cersei as a -former- Queen Regeant was able to order Pycelle to directly contradict a decree from Joffery (announced by acting Queen Margery). It's the third time Cersei has -publicly- commited HIGH TREASON (The first being when she burns an official sealed letter from King Robert, and the second being when she slaps Joffery in the throne room)

10 The Brienne and Cersei scene...just struck me as weird.

After seeing the episode for the second time you can clearly see Olenna take the stone and there are several shots of Sansa with a missing stone after Olenna takes it.

Now I didn't see Olenna pass the stone off to anyone but she had to.

4. Because that reveal is pretty much irrelevant at this point, and would just have confused people.

7. That has never been established on the show (and there's no Willas for Oberyn to have injured).