[Book Spoilers] EP402 Discussion

Ran

Shae's storyline feels really awkard..... I'm not of the opinion that she gets whitewashed comepletely and survives, because her death is, imo, half of what really "breaks" Tyrion and sends him to that dark place for the next couple of books (the other half being the true story of Tysha)

Her storyline was truly awkward because D&D made the mistake of changing her character in the first place. GRRM was right to worry that it might be a problem down the line. In the book, her death was still upsetting even though she was more whore than woman in love. She's so boring too.

I felt sick inside during the whole Joff/Tyrion-Dwarf display. ST did some of the finest face acting I've ever seen. I think it was always obvious that Tyrion had nothing to do with this. He was railroaded from the beginning.

GRRM clearly stopped short of having Stannis burn people for religious reasons alone. But nooooo, D&D just went and did it anyway. It would have been just as easy to keep the traitor plotline, but they didn't. If the Battle at the wall is anything but a full rehabilitation for Stan, then D&D have a lot to answer for. First babies in jars, then the beach scene, now this.

After seeing the episode for the second time you can clearly see Olenna take the stone and there are several shots of Sansa with a missing stone after Olenna takes it.

Now I didn't see Olenna pass the stone off to anyone but she had to.

You can see it as the camera zooms you can she as she walks by Joffrey you hear a very distinct clink sound hitting the chalice. Can't be way too damn obvious now.

Love isn't always about lust, you know.

I mean, I kinda wrote 1 or 2 pieces on how Jaime-Brienne have a sort of "brotherly love" if you will, you know :)

But seriously, the Jaime-Brienne-end-up-together theory just doesn't work for me. You have to have some element of lust to make that work and I literally don't see any. Jaime "felt his cock stir" when they're together in the bath after "he caught a glimpse of the thick blond bush at the juncture of her thighs as she climbed out. She was much hairier than his sister." His immediate thought is "Now I know I've been too long away from Cersei." Any physical response from his body in that scene, which is the extent of their physical contact with each other, is based solely on human nature I.E. Jaime hasn't seen anyone naked in a while, natural response from his body which he is immediately repulsed by as Cersei is the only one he's ever physically longed for.

Part of what makes Jaime's arc so great is that when he finally comes to grips with the fact that fucking his sister for forever actually was pretty effed-up, he begins to actually take his Kingsguard duties seriously and begins trying to become a better person. All hint of lust towards women is gone; see the Pia stuff in Feast for an example. Can Brienne and Jaime have some sort of love for each other? Sure. But it is certainly not a physically-based kind; if anything, they have a brotherly love, battle-bred warrior love for each other, as one man would have for another and that's it. The rest will be left to fan-fic.

I mean, I kinda wrote 1 or 2 pieces on how Jaime-Brienne have a sort of "brotherly love" if you will, you know :)

But seriously, the Jaime-Brienne-end-up-together theory just doesn't work for me. You have to have some element of lust to make that work and I literally don't see any. Jaime "felt his cock stir" when they're together in the bath after "he caught a glimpse of the thick blond bush at the juncture of her thighs as she climbed out. She was much hairier than his sister." His immediate thought is "Now I know I've been too long away from Cersei." Any physical response from his body in that scene, which is the extent of their physical contact with each other, is based solely on human nature I.E. Jaime hasn't seen anyone naked in a while, natural response from his body which he is immediately repulsed by as Cersei is the only one he's ever physically longed for.

Part of what makes Jaime's arc so great is that when he finally comes to grips with the fact that fucking his sister for forever actually was pretty effed-up, he begins to actually take his Kingsguard duties seriously and begins trying to become a better person. All hint of lust towards women is gone; see the Pia stuff in Feast for an example. Can Brienne and Jaime have some sort of love for each other? Sure. But it is certainly not a physically-based kind; if anything, they have a brotherly love, battle-bred warrior love for each other, as one man would have for another and that's it. The rest will be left to fan-fic.

Summed it up perfectly. It's annoying when people desperately try to come up with reasons and "evidence" that they are in love. Thinking about each other often does not automatically mean romantic love.

Suddenly I regret reading the books before watching the show.

Everything was so unsatisfying. Cersei's reaction to Joffrey's death was piss poor. Joffrey's death was piss poor. They downplayed the whole thing. As a new book reader, I was expecting this to be a two episode event at the most. I thought that since they skipped Garlan altogether, they would use Oberyn in his stead. But Oberyn was just a blur. I just... maybe I need to sleep on it.

I hated that scene between Cersei and Brienne. Come ooooooooon. Cat fight, much? I'm gonna get hell for this, but I really hate Jaime being in KL for all of this. I hate the whole "jAime n BriEnnr in luv" plot. It worked in the books, but it sucks on the show. I liked Jaime in season 3, but this season they're just trying too hard to pretty boy him, and I hate that.

Mace... what? I guess he really did live up to being a total oaf, but really? He was even more foolish than Dontos.

I know the show can't help the child actors aging, but it was really hard for me to concentrate through those Bran scenes. Same with Meera and same with Shireen. They hit the jackpot with Maisie Williams because she's an actual waif, but I could've done without sudden teenage Shireen. That was unnecessary. Stannis's entire plot in this episode was unnecessary. They should've cut that off and spent more time on the PW.

Ramsay/Theon: waste of time. I'm sorry, it's okay for them to show hookers getting murdered, children and babies being killed, women getting raped... but they need to totally vanilla Theon's storyline? Are you fucking kidding me? Also, who was that crazy bitch with Ramsay? Wow, they totally completely fucked that storyline. So I'm guessing there's gonna be no Jeyne. No thank you. I'm so pissed about this. I was so looking forward to Reek's storyline. Now I hope they don't even bother. Fucking hell.

Things I actually did like:

1. Sansa still ain't having none of it. Good.

2. Margaery is just wonderful.

3. I know a lot of people are hating the Shae plot, but I think the show is doing a better job at it.

4. Sassy Loras.

5. Hodor

Sigh. What a let down. I thought this was gonna be the episode of the century. I'm so worried that the show is losing its edge.

eek watching now

run bitch! RUN! ahhhhh! pick up a rock!

OOHHHH! look at fat WALDA!

just saw the Mace Cast! dude looks like a moron, guess thats something, haha...

hmmmm, that book cutting scene was a bit of a downer!

Shae!

you need to die

Did Bronn just get smacked!

/punches the wall

Praise, our lord Rh'llor! :bowdown:

For the night is dark and full of terrors!

Jaime & Tyrion, feels...

love that scene not enough of them in the books

also,

Stannis' hatred for fish better not become the new "chicken" joke

pretty awkward dinner, if i say so, myself

every Unsullied on the planet during Bran vision

" :eek: what the fuck did i just see :eek: "

anyone, else notice Pod staring at the chick with her legs in the skies

" i so hit that, yup!"-pod

UHH, was staying quiet an admission on brienns part? this kinda pisses me off

ELLARIA IS SOOOOOO HHHOTTTT ahhhhhhhh!!!

Sansa :crying:

OKaY, now that was a DEATH! :devil:

way better than the mental image i had painted in my mind

:eek: i completely missed that, but who else? fuck it! im running with it

OMFG thats was Loras being ridden :eek:

a play by play of tonights episode

deleted some text boxes cuz im dumb :dunce:

re-watching and sleeping, goodnight! haha

:smug:

Suddenly I regret reading the books before watching the show.

Ramsay/Theon: waste of time. I'm sorry, it's okay for them to show hookers getting murdered, children and babies being killed, women getting raped... but they need to totally vanilla Theon's storyline? Are you fucking kidding me? Also, who was that crazy bitch with Ramsay? Wow, they totally completely fucked that storyline. So I'm guessing there's gonna be no Jeyne. No thank you. I'm so pissed about this. I was so looking forward to Reek's storyline. Now I hope they don't even bother. Fucking hell.

Suddenly, i regret reading your post.

Especially that. Ramsay/Roose/Theon was really really great and i cannot understand how anyone can be mad about that.

Did anyone notice during Bran's dream there was a brief glimpse of what looked like a gross, bloody elk snout? Cold Hands after all?

I hope they keep Cold Hands in the series and give us a good hint as to who he is/was. Also, Bran's visions through the weirwood were a great foreshadowing of things to come.

I'm not in love with the collective changes to the Stannis line as well, but anyone else think that D&D might try to float the idea out there that Mel tells Stannis to sacrifice Shireen for the Stone Dragon stuff?

So much about the Stannis line is different and in tonight's ep. Selyse is pretty critical of her which could suggest they could reasonably justify taking the plot in that direction at some point in the future. Shireen fits the "King's Blood" requirement that is needed. Again, I'm not suggesting that this happens, either in the books or the show, just that D&D could potentially float it out there.