[Book Spoilers] EP402 Discussion

Ran

4- Snow in the thrown room (future).

Liked the way you put this. Reminds me of Mel's "I pray for a glimpse of Azor Ahai, and R'hllor shows me only Snow."

I'm sure an unintentional parallel, but it made me happy all the same. ;)

I've heard some suggest that Locke will take the role of Bowen Marsh, but I find that extremely unlikely.

On Locke: after this episode, I'm assuming that he's not joining the Night's Watch, but is rather going to the Wall as a visitor, much like Tyrion back in Season 1. He'll be looking for signs of the Stark boys, and possibly hoping for a chance to assassinate Jon Snow as well. In retrospect I'm surprised this wasn't suggested as a possibility here on the forums (or if it was, I didn't notice): Bolton needs a hunt for Bran and Rickon. Locke was first introduced as his best hunter. And we saw clips of Locke at the Wall, which is after all the obvious destination for Bran and Rickon.

Lots of story potential. Barbecue opportunity for the Thenns; a chance for Alliser Throne to look badass and say something like "Yeah, we want to hang Jon Snow, but he's OURS to hang, so you can just eff off". Who knows - maybe Locke will "volunteer" to help Jon and others attack Craster's, and thereby hope to get his hands on Bran. It could affect whether or not Sam tells Jon about Bran, although for that to happen the timeline would get a bit odd (not exactly unprecedented on the show!). At the moment I like Locke's story simply because it adds an element of uncertainty in the north.

At the moment I see Locke being killed by a White Walker, but I have absolutely no reason for thinking that.

I think the shared torture congratulations with Ramsey have pretty much demonstrated we're not going to be seeing Locke as a more sympathetic character.

no, we all don't know it's not Tyrion...some people do, some don't. People watching the show who have never read the books may not have any clue there could be someone other than Tyrion - especially since (as things stand right now) there were no gems mising from Sansa's necklace

We all know it wasn't Tyrion. The show clearly portrays that. He has a genuine look of shock on his face, and he would never have picked up the murder weapon after (the cup) if it was him. The best part of the scene is when he picks up the cup, not realizing what is about to happen to him, Then instantly he feels Cersei's accusatory eyes on him, and realizes, I picked up the murder weapon, I am about to become a patsy.

At the breakfast, what did Tywin say to Cersei after she mentioned Shae's true identity? I believe it was something along the lines of ".......in the tower of the hand" but I missed the first part of his line.

I apologize if this topic has already been addressed but I couldn't find an answer on a few of EP 2's topics.

At the breakfast, what did Tywin say to Cersei after she mentioned Shae's true identity? I believe it was something along the lines of ".......in the tower of the hand" but I missed the first part of his line.

I apologize if this topic has already been addressed but I couldn't find an answer on a few of EP 2's topics.

"Bring her to the Tower of the Hand".

Oberyn needs much more facetime while still among the living. It's going to suck when he dies (as it did in the books), but he is just so awesome badassery - I love his threats to the Lannisters. His fight against the Mountain is going to be epic.

Agreed! Not so much facetime yet as there was in the books. We should see more now as I believe much of the season will be about tyrion, and oberyn and tyrion have many convos. But at this point in the book they had several as well. Surprised they didnt do those on the show. Probably just time constraints. This show should really be two hours long!

My unspoiled sister picked up on Olenna right away.

And there was a gem missing from Sansa's necklace. On the right side (her left) by her hair.

That. Was. Glorious.

But I'll miss Jack. He was amazing.

Exactly the gem is missing from the far right side right where Olenna touched it.

My wife hasn't read the books either, and said it was Olenna right away (or "the old lady"), but she didn't see the slight of hand.

Other non-readers I talked to all said it was obvious it wasn't Tyrion. These are people that can't even remember the characters' names. I think they tried to make it rather obvious that Tyrion is a patsy.

I don't think most non-readers will pick up on HOW it was done, but I think they have an idea as to who.

While there are still Shae scenes to come, at this point I can say that the writers aren't handling the downfall of the show's version of the Tyrion/Shae relationship very well. The whole thing is monumentally contrived, and the addition of the Shae/Sansa interactions has ended up being as irrelevant as I thought it was all along.

Edited by Colonel Green

Liked the way you put this. Reminds me of Mel's "I pray for a glimpse of Azor Ahai, and R'hllor shows me only Snow."

I'm sure an unintentional parallel, but it made me happy all the same. ;)

Say by the when Mel is talking to Shireen she puts the emphasis on the gods of Light and Darkness....

Now George wrote this episode , I guess D&D made a rule he was not supposed to mention The Great Other...

or they changed that line in the teleplay?

Exactly the gem is missing from the far right side right where Olenna touched it.

My wife hasn't read the books either, and said it was Olenna right away (or "the old lady"), but she didn't see the slight of hand.

Other non-readers I talked to all said it was obvious it wasn't Tyrion. These are people that can't even remember the characters' names. I think they tried to make it rather obvious that Tyrion is a patsy.

I don't think most non-readers will pick up on HOW it was done, but I think they have an idea as to who.

I'm sorry. But I have to ask.

Why couldn't Olenna simply just carry the poison herself?

:bawl: Nooooo! If that happens, Davos could no longer back Stannis. He would take his onion boat and join the Manderlys. Or hopefully he'll smuggle Shireen out. Please nothing bad happen to Shireen!

Well we know that does not happen in the books.

The way Stannis reacted last episode he's not going to let it happen either.

Lots of comments on the lack of an anguished wail from Cersei. I missed it too. I felt real sympathy for her during this scene in the book. I also thought it would be a good parallel with Catelyn's cry when Robb is killed--two mothers, two screams. In fact, that would have been a good way to end the episode and save the accusations for episode 3. However, perhaps they were trying to show the difference between Cat and Cersei. Cat goes into a stupor at her son's death and Cersei springs into action/accusation to bring his "murderer" to justice. Works both ways.

Lack of anguished wail = shock =/= not loving her child. Loved that scene, great acting, wouldn't mind something more intense, but no problem.

Edited by Lady Winter Rose

5- Dragons over Kings Landing in summer (past vision foretelling of a present & future threat).

If this vision is relevant in anyway, I believe it is relevant in that it tells us that the 3EC sees the dragons as much of a threat as the Others.

i understand that for some people the dragons are a threat but in canon are they really?? bc to me it didn't seems so. on the contrary, i think they will be very helpfull in the fight against the Others, who are the only threat to the realm.

I'm sorry. But I have to ask.

Why couldn't Olenna simply just carry the poison herself?

Even in the books I wondered that myself.

In the show they have been constructing Marg differently , I liked the Machiavellian turn, have to see , but next week's preview is confusing.

Edited by boojam