[Book Spoilers] EP402 Discussion

Ran

Need to recheck this, but in S04E01, the scene where the QoT throws a neclace into the bushes (dismissing it as not nice enough) couldn't that have been her way of leaving it there for Dontos to retrieve it. That way noone could have seen Qot/Donto/Sansa together with the necklace...

That's not the same necklace (they don't look remotely the same).

Yeah, I hadn't realised but that probably means Loras isn't going to join the KG. I dont know why, but that hadnt previously dawned on me.

You're right! Guess I was in denial about that as well. Now I wonder if they'll give him some of Willas' or Garlan's supposed big roles that GRRM mentioned or if they'll have him go to Dragonstone and get injured (or "injured")

You're right! Guess I was in denial about that as well. Now I wonder if they'll give him some of Willas' or Garlan's supposed big roles that GRRM mentioned or if they'll have him go to Dragonstone and get injured (or "injured")

I thought they were still nudging in the direction of Loras joining the Kingsguard, actually. Seemed like they were hinting at it during Loras and Jaime's confrontation, as it would also prevent the marriage from happening and allow Loras to be close to Margaery.

We'll see anyway. I'm not entirely sure how they'll handle the Tyrells moving forward into AFFC territory.

I thought they were still nudging in the direction of Loras joining the Kingsguard, actually. Seemed like they were hinting at it during Loras and Jaime's confrontation, as it would also prevent the marriage from happening and allow Loras to be close to Margaery.

We'll see anyway. I'm not entirely sure how they'll handle the Tyrells moving forward into AFFC territory.

I dont know how they could have Loras joining the KG, seeing as he's the heir to Highgarden in the show.

I dont know how they could have Loras joining the KG, seeing as he's the heir to Highgarden in the show.

I know, I was just thinking in terms of how they'll end the marriage pact between Cersei and Loras. I suppose he can still run off for his heroic siege of Dragonstone, but it would just seem more foolhardy now that he's the heir.

What? That's where the poison came from. The poison is ingrained within the chalice itself after Olenna dropped it in . Sublimation friend.

You are so wrong. Read the book. Although we don't have confessions yet, Olena was clearly trying to rid her precious granddaughter of a monster husband. I am going to bet Margarey regrets how the poisoning went down, but Tommen is such a happy replacement Olena may convince M that she will still be queen. This is when Csecei goes ballistic with jealousy and just can't let the third royal marriage go forward, but I bet it does. Tomen is someone Margarie won't need to manipulate as much. If Csercei goes in for her book manipulations, Marg may have trial trouble, I ,

But seriously...what was with that infidel line...

I don't much like Stannis even in the books (I should die, I know) but they really made him sound like a fanatic here.

I dunno if i'd say Fanatic, especially when you compare him to seleyse and Mel in the same scene. Seleyse had the crazy eyes, while Stannis looked like he was meeting his in laws.

Oh and one last thing. With having Jaime and Brienne arrive in KL so early, I thought they would actually have Jaime idly stand by while Joff died. Jaime has said in the books that he shows no paternal instinct towards Joffrey and does not consider the kids his, only Cersei's. So that combined with what an asshole Joff was to him last week (about his hand, then insults him with the book), then, I can't remember at what specifically, but Joff was being Joff again, and they showed a clip of Jaime rolling his eyes or something at him. I just KNEW he was going to stand there and do nothing when Joff dies, so it was out of character for him to rush in. Regardless of if he's in the white cloaks or not, and I knew it would throw a wrench into his relationship with Cersei. HE changes their relationship by turning him down. He's on a path to redemption and the showrunners are leaving out sooo many of his redeeming qualities. So the Unsullied look at me like I'm crazy when I say I like Jaime (yes he tried to kill a child and nothing changes that, but his story is interesting!) or when I say I want Stannis to be King (because look at how they portray him on the show).

Ok, back to the show!

I am confused. You seem to say that because Jaime seems to care-at least a little- that Jeoffrey dies, he loses some of his redeeming qualities. Isn´t it supossed to be the other way around? Jeoffrey is Jaime´s son, afterall. Wouldn´t it look like Jaime is a total jerk if he doesn´t care at all about his son????? Mad and horrible as this son may be.

Besides Jaime is also the Commander of the KG. He could not stay there and do nothing. I thought that him rushing to Jeoffrey was a nice touch. I didn´t like the way they filmed the scene, though. The scene seemed comical. And Jaime a little bit of a fool; as in not being able to do his job and protect the king.

Random, but did anyone else miss Garlan Tyrell? I honestly don't know how Tyrion could have made it through that entire wedding without Good Guy Garlan being extra nice to him to counterbalance all the shit Joff was throwing his way

(And bummer, I would have loved to see the "Garlan put the poison in the cup" theory confirmed in the show)

Yeah I know right? I still remember Ragnorak being saddened by the "Garlan the Not So Gallant" theory. :lol:

Still, I normally find the difference between the novels and TV show jarring, but I do think they got most of the nuances just right with this episode.

- Sansa's grief was so obvious and it was also obvious that everyone at the wedding (minus the Lannisters perhaps) knew about it. Especially the scene where the wolf's head was lopped off the dwarf fighters was just heartbreaking. :( Making Olenna's throwing Sansa under the bus together with Tyrion even colder.

-Olenna murdering Joffrey was brilliantly done, you could see her fussing over Sansa, then zoom to the necklace missing a stone and then zoom again to Olenna just before Joffrey picked up his cup. It was also plain that the murder would be pinned on Sansa+Tyrion with how they both touched the cup before Jofffey took it. Neatly explained.

- LOL to all the "Jaime and Brienne are just friends" romance haters. There must have been some teeth grinding there.

- Stannis the Kinslayer. I wonder if this is a setup so that Stannis' darker path will have a proper turn at the end of the season when he gets to rescue Jon Snow? It's also pretty clear that he is being lead by Melisandre as she is his only key to beat the odds, you might say. Even if it jarred that he called Ser Axel Florent "infidel", I still think the spirit of the burning is not all wrong. Old Stannis (pre-Mel) would not have burnt Ser Axel. Her influence on him is not all that healthy.

- Is this the end of Tyrion the white washed? Here was saw a bit of Holier Than Thou and Better Than Thou attitude a la my Lord of Lannister just like his self-deceptive relationship with Shae in the novels.

I think it shows they careless. In book, there is many people around the King helping him. Here, it's only Joffrey's parents and they both pushed people aside to get him. If people kept having doubts, well, they have none now.

Also, Jaime calls him "Joffrey". Not "my King" or "Your Highness". "Joffrey". I mean, come one. He might claim he doesn't care but it's his son nevertheless. Jaime says what he says in books because he wasn't there to watch him die but now he's starting to be closer to the kids he's having feelings.

Also, Jaime calls him "Joffrey". Not "my King" or "Your Highness". "Joffrey". I mean, come one. He might claim he doesn't care but it's his son nevertheless. Jaime says what he says in books because he wasn't there to watch him die but now he's starting to be closer to the kids he's having feelings.

Yeah, I liked that little touch. Also having he and Cersei being the ones holding Joff, until Cersei pushes Jaime away.

Edited by Koi No Yokan

I think it shows they careless. In book, there is many people around the King helping him. Here, it's only Joffrey's parents and they both pushed people aside to get him. If people kept having doubts, well, they have none now.

It was weird. Jaimie has the 'duty as head of the Kingsguard' card to play.