[Book Spoilers] EP402 Discussion

Ran

Sorry if I missed this, but why is everyone so certain that she didn't leave?

There's absolutely no way Shae left. Not only do we not see her leaving and even the Unsullied are left believing that she probably didn't leave given the way the scene was handled, her presence in the Tower of the Hand is too paramount to Tyrion's rationale behind killing Tywin. It exposes Tywin--certainty not for the first but ultimately the last time--as a terrible hypocrite and the fact that Shae indeed was lying to Tyrion the whole time is foiled with the revelation that Tysha was indeed what Tyrion thought she was--only a crofter's daughter.

Great episode once again. Maybe it's just me, but the show has really improved its pacing since the beginning of season 4. No scene is wasted.

-The Dreadfort business was pretty good. I liked Fat Walda looking like she wanted to run the hell away from Ramsay, and then Locke being buddy-buddy with the bastard. Also the addition of Theon/Reek shaving his ''master'' was classic but effective.

-Bran's visions were suitably mind-screwy. That's twice we see the IT under snow, and in an episode wrote by GRRM no less. Too much foreshadowing to ignore methinks. Also yaya bloodraven!

-Stannis... ugh. The dinner scene I liked, he took a clear dig at his wife and showed his love for Shireen. But burning the Florents because they're ''indifels''? Come on. That's just idiotic. It's like if they had Dany feed people to her dragon because they were ugly or something. I heard GRRM didn't write those scenes, which kinda shows. Also liked Shireen herself not giving a fuck about Mel.

-Jaime and Bronn is hopefully the beginning of a new (gold-fueled) friendship.

-Tyrion and Shae... well at least she's gone now, but oh lord did she overstay her welcome. But I'm pretty certain Bronn lied to Tyrion. We'll see how they manage to make it work, but I'm still convinced Tyrion will kill her in the end. I did like Tyrion spilling his wine for Jaime; it was a very brotherly and supportive thing to do.

-Oberyn had few lines, but all of them golden. Pedro Pascal is a great actor, and I liked the threat towards Myrcella. Also, ''not you''.

-Poor, poor Sansa. She also had few lines, but the non-verbal language told everything.

And for the Purple Wedding, it was masterfully handled save for a few misgivings; Brienne not talking to Sansa is weird. The Kingsguard standing there while the king chokes to death wins a prize in the ''fuck this job'' category, surely. And Cercei went too quickly from shock to rage at Tyrion.

Everything else? Splendid. The subtle way Olenna got the poison in (we saw because we know about it and watched in stop-motion). Joffrey killing a bird in the pie. The ''war of the five kings'' which is just better than in the books. Joffrey trying Widow's Wail on Tyrion's book. Joffrey acting the like piece of shit he is in general. Loras burning Jaime. Cercei being privy to Brienne's obvious secret. And all the non-verbal language! Cercei finding her son's antics funny, while Tywin is exasperated, Sansa is horrified, and Marge has a ''yep, fine husband I have'' look. Tommen laughing, looking at his uncle and shutting up. Tyrion himself looking like he wants nothing better than toss the cup at Joff's face. Definitely one of the show's finest hour.

And the little bastard is finally dead. I'll miss his actor so much, he was amazing. Loved too how Jaime called out his son's name instead of a ''your grace''.

Pod+Oberyn+Ellaria+Upside down girl?? *Pod's eyeballs roll to the back of his head*

I never understood why they made such a huge deal in the show over the prostitutes giving back the money for Podric that means nothing really, it's a mild curiousity. (yea off topic)

Yoooouuu! Ive been waiting to hear your noise! Did you get a load of Fat Walda? Shits gonna be awesome!

I know. I cant wait. Dinklage can do it. Im so convinced he can do Dark!Tyrion after his growling at her this episode.

Dinklage can definitely do it. He's done a great job with the character despite the fact that the writers have stripped every bit of darkness and shade of gray out of the character. Saint Tyrion's behavior has become so predictable and risks becoming boring. At this point, I fully expect Shae to strangle herself to death while Saint Tyrion watches helplessly and cries.

Let we all take a moment and admire Ellaria's dress, Loras' line, Joffrey's death, Fat Walda, Oberyn's threats, Sansa... I mean, this is how you adapt inner struggle and emotions... Well done...

I like the focus of this episode. Contrasting between Melisandre and Bran and basically concentrating on KL. The Boltons were good (Allen's Reek brought some bad memories, as the follow up with the sausages) but it was OK... Fat Walda was so nice, and Ramsay's "mother" was the most repugnant thing I have ever heard :)

I would agree that dwarf show was better on TV than in series...

All and all, great episode... And people, he is dead... :) Long live King of beets...

I wasn't keen on show Ramsay last year but he's winning me over big time with those puppy dog eyes and childlike grin.

Crows don't have tails. :cool4:

My bad, I rewatched it and just noticed the tail. The screech is mixed into the crow caws so I got confused. I guess it's D&D being "We SWEAR she'll eventually get to Westeros!!!"

Ehehe, when he smiled at Walda, my first thought was "he's like a handsome shark!" Yeah, I think on screen the shifting contradictions in his looks/dialogue are more interesting than "I'm a brutish nutcase muahahahaha." Not that he isn't an evil nutcase, it just comes across on the surface with more nuance. If he's to be one of the next major villains, he needs to at least be entertaining.

Let we all take a moment and admire Ellaria's dress, Loras' line, Joffrey's death, Fat Walda, Oberyn's threats, Sansa... I mean, this is how you adapt inner struggle and emotions... Well done...

I like the focus of this episode. Contrasting between Melisandre and Bran and basically concentrating on KL. The Boltons were good (Allen's Reek brought some bad memories, as the follow up with the sausages) but it was OK... Fat Walda was so nice, and Ramsay's "mother" was the most repugnant thing I have ever heard :)

I would agree that dwarf show was better on TV than in series...

All and all, great episode... And people, he is dead... :) Long live King of beets...

YESSUM! Her quiet torment during the dwarf show broke my heart. But that's totally when she showed the steel in her spine. In the context of the show's continuity, I liked her handing the cup to Tyrion. It's not about "warming up to him" at all, just her innate desire for being decent, much like she told Dontos "Anyone else would've done the same."

The random dwarf show moment that was gold was the tentacles bursting out of the Balon dwarf.

Edited by PhoenixFlame

Dinklage can definitely do it. He's done a great job with the character despite the fact that the writers have stripped every bit of darkness and shade of gray out of the character. Saint Tyrion's behavior has become so predictable and risks becoming boring. At this point, I fully expect Shae to strangle herself to death while Saint Tyrion watches helplessly and cries.

Not after this episode I think. I think that Shae will be brought back to give evidence at Tyrion's trial as in the books. Based on the show, Shae has a plenty of justification to do so. Tyrion killing her at the end of the season might actually be pretty close to the tenor of the book. How can he complain of her "betraying" him if he sent her away as he did the last time they saw each other? It makes the killing the same sort of daddy revenge that it was in the books.

Yeah, I'm not at all sure they'll do it. They're odd, these writers; it's like they have a limit to how far they can go. Kill a baby at a wedding? Sure. But have Tyrion be an asshole...nah, that's too much.

I'm actually curious about how this ends now just to see how the writers resolve this plot they've written.

Based on the show, Shae has a plenty of justification to do so. Tyrion killing her at the end of the season might actually be pretty close to the tenor of the book. How can he complain of her "betraying" him if he sent her away as he did the last time they saw each other? It makes the killing the same sort of daddy revenge that it was in the books.

She has no justification. You don't get to kill someone (which is what she'll be trying to do) because they tried to send you away to keep you safe. The book reasoning is much stronger: she has no choice or loyalty to Tyrion so fuck him.

Hopefully we don't see vengeful Shae though. Christ, this plot is already melodramatic and tired enough.