[Book Spoilers] EP402 Discussion

Ran

I don't think Locke is a member of House Locke. I think it's his first name. I also am not sure he's actually supposed to be a Northman, since he has no clue who Jon Snow is.

I'm tempted to think he's a sellsword from somewhether other than the North, who's only relatively recently established himself in the North and the Dreadfort. If he'd lived in the North the last 18 years, you'd think he'd have heard of Ned Stark's bastard. But if he's only been there a handful of years, maybe...

Or they're just being strange.

I thought that scene between Locke and Ramsay was interesting. IIRC, it's noted in the books (ADwD I think) that House Locke dislike Ramsay Snow. Remember in ADwD Old Lord Locke and Wyman Manderley are eating merrily and japing together? I wonder than if Locke in the show only feigns friendship with Ramsay when in truth he actually despises him, or whether he and Ramsay are actually just two peas in a pod, and consequently will fight for and defend House Bolton no matter what. Truly an interesting development.

FWIW, from what I've gathered through the rumour mill Locke will be sent north to the wall.

So...thoughts?

I've heard some suggest that Locke will take the role of Bowen Marsh, but I find that extremely unlikely (and would totally undermine the Julias Caesar moment it was in the books). I'm assuming he dies in the battle at the Wall. The "fetch me a block" scene is reserved for one special character already there...

Did anyone else notice how in the scene with Bronn Jaime was holding Oathkeeper in his hand at the beginning, in the next scene as he is walking over to pick up the blunt practice sword it has magically disappeared? Glaring continuity error.

This episode left me a bit disappointed, so many scenes that either seemed pointless, wrong or could have been done much better.

The Oathkeeper is still there in the scene, just off to the side from where you think Jaime dropped it.

And darkside Tyrion discarding Shae. That's going to be ugly.

Wasn't it sort of the emotional equivalent of Arya chucking rocks at Nymeria to drive her off, though? I don't think he would have told her any of that unless he thought it was the only way to sever the relationship.

You are right, Newstar, with your answer.

Would Shae have listened if once again Tyrion had talked about the danger?

And the way Tyrion did this it would have been easier for her to forget faithless Tyrion in the future, not the concerned lover sacrificing his happiness for her safety but the arrogant nobleman sending his whore away. I guess once again Tyrion was thinking around one corner too much with his attempt at being evil.

And now we will see an Othello-like tragical misunderstanding when Shae dies, making Tyrion maybe darker than in the books because he won't listen when he should have??

I tremendously enjoyed Margaery!

You could see everything, everything in her face, disgust, false laughter, attempt at distraction and worry. That so very clever young woman! Dorner was extraordinary, just like Diana Rigg!

And I really loved Turner. I have not been a fan of Sansa so far but Turner's acting in the two first episodes has impressed me and starts to win me over for Sansa. She has a brain, she is furious, she makes her standpoint clear, is full of pity and now her play shows that she has a clear understanding of the subtleties and power games that are going on. "And now we have a new Queen", her voice got so wonderfully cynical. Her face showed every memory of her father's beheading at the dwarf jousting and shame about Tyrion's treatment.

And the solidarity she showed to Tyrion when she passed the goblet, two victims of Joffrey and yet proud, full of understanding for each other, great acting.

Edited by Woman of War

I liked the episode ,usually when a episode is hyped like this was ( among fans at least ) i'm left slightly underwhelmed but I really enjoyed this episode , I liked the Ramsay hunt , I loved Bran's visions and the wedding wasn't a let down for me at least , I really liked the Oberyn / Tywin , Cersei scene with the veiled threat to Myrcella and they nailed Joff's death ,his face made it look horrific and super painful , the only bits I didn't like were the visit to Dragonstone and what the heck happened to little cute Tommen , where did that little tubby Joffrey lookalikey come from :<

So please fill me as i won't get to watch until it airs in the UK tonight.

Did the episode stop dead (excuse the pun) at Joffrey's choking or do we get to see a distraught Cersei?

I'm looking forward to my friends reactions who are non book readers but love the show.

Do you guys reckon Pycelle was meant to return to the feast after delivering the message to the kitchens? Even tho Cersei stated he had to leave the feast, that she could do horrible things to him? Don't know exactly, noticed him sitting next to Varys and just wondered, might be an inconsistency

Do you guys reckon Pycelle was meant to return to the feast after delivering the message to the kitchens? Even tho Cersei stated he had to leave the feast, that she could do horrible things to him? Don't know exactly, noticed him sitting next to Varys and just wondered, might be an inconsistency

I noticed that too. I'm just gonna toss it up to an inconsistency. I doubt he got to the kitchens and got back in that time. I also took Cersei's threat to imply she didn't want him to come back to the feast, and Pycelle doesn't strike me as the type to outright disobey Cersei (or any Lannister) like that.

Edited by Queen of Whores

You are right, Newstar, with your answer.

Would Shae have listened if once again Tyrion had talked about the danger?

And the way Tyrion did this it would have been easier for her to forget faithless Tyrion in the future, not the concerned lover sacrificing his happiness for her safety but the arrogant nobleman sending his whore away. I guess once again Tyrion was thinking around one corner too much with his attempt at being evil.

And now we will see an Othello-like tragical misunderstanding when Shae dies, making Tyrion maybe darker than in the books because he won't listen when he should have??

I tremendously enjoyed Margaery!

You could see everything, everything in her face, disgust, false laughter, attempt at distraction and worry. That so very clever young woman! Dorner was extraordinary, just like Diana Rigg!

And I really loved Turner. I have not been a fan of Sansa so far but Turner's acting in the two first episodes has impressed me and starts to win me over for Sansa. She has a brain, she is furious, she makes her standpoint clear, is full of pity and now her play shows that she has a clear understanding of the subtleties and power games that are going on. "And now we have a new Queen", her voice got so wonderfully cynical. Her face showed every memory of her father's beheading at the dwarf jousting and shame about Tyrion's treatment.

And the solidarity she showed to Tyrion when she passed the goblet, two victims of Joffrey and yet proud, full of understanding for each other, great acting.

I was just about to sing praises to Natalie Dorner. Absolutely fantastic in this episode.

As for Sansa, I'm glad she and Tyrion had a slightly nice last moment (her handing him the cup). It was a good conclusion for them, and went along with the whole Show!Sansa bending at the wedding.

Meanwhile on Dragonstone...man, they needed to either cut 2 minutes or add a couple to those scenes. Seeing Stannis & Mel act awkward at the supper table because Selyse is a nutter does nothing for the plot, plus it's just more of the same, and undermines Mel's creepiness the following scene.

I don't think Locke is a member of House Locke. I think it's his first name. I also am not sure he's actually supposed to be a Northman, since he has no clue who Jon Snow is.

I'm tempted to think he's a sellsword from somewhether other than the North, who's only relatively recently established himself in the North and the Dreadfort. If he'd lived in the North the last 18 years, you'd think he'd have heard of Ned Stark's bastard. But if he's only been there a handful of years, maybe...

Or they're just being strange.

Since Locke does not exist in the book I think either D&D outlined for George or D&D flat wrote that scene.

D&D inserted a scene in Blackwater that GRRM said he didn't write.

Can't now figure out what Locke's plot purpose is?(Now.)

He going to the most dangerous place , Castle Black, in Westeros at the worst time.

I am guessing the Wilding crew south of Wall are going to kill him and his party.

Edited by boojam

yes, that was the first thing i noticed too. no girl dwarf. but that doesn't mean she won't show up later.

Goddamn, I'm going to miss Jack Gleeson.

You're right! We COULD see all the dwarfs' faces. Huh.

The one playing Robb Stark never showed her face.

Since Locke does not exist in the book I think either D&D outlined for George or D&D flat wrote that scene.

D&D inserted a scene in Blackwater that GRRM said he didn't write.

Can't now figure out what Locke's plot purpose is?

He going to the most dangerous place , Castle Black, in Westeros at the worst time.

I am guessing the Wilding crew south of Wall are going to kill him and his party.

I assumed they were setting up his rendezvous with Brienne. I'd guess she'd bite his ear.

Holy shit Balerion???!

I am really getting tired of this.

When season 4 was first starting to be previewed what sprung to my mind was that this dragon-shadow over KL was a symbolic foreshadowing of the Targaryen invasion on Westeros, we have Dany and maybe? another Targaryen ?

The dragon shadow is a metaphor for the Targaryen threat not some vision from the past.

No actual dragon like Balerion the Black Dread from the past is the signal, it's from the future.