[Book Spoilers] EP402 Discussion

Ran

I think they wanted it to be ambiguous, but is bet next episode Sansa is going to comment on a missing jewel

It doesn't seem possible to tell, because the gem holder on the left is obscured by sansa's braid/outfit in all of her scenes wearing it in the episode and it could be the way the necklace was designed. There is no gem in the right holder, though, that much is certain. Mayhaps a screenshot of the necklace when Dontos offers it to her, pre-wedding?

Check it out again. First you clearly see QoT take the jewel:

http://500px.com/photo/66996631?from=user

Then you can clearly see the last jewel missing. See the jewel on the far right?

http://500px.com/photo/66996633?from=user

Not enough visually to go on.

The jewel on the far left could also be missing since it's obscured - so it looks like the necklace could just not have been made with gems on either side.

This didn't make sense to me in the show or the book. Why doesn't Olenna just keep the poison on her? What was the point of having Sansa smuggle it in? Were people being patted down as they went in? I just don't get it.

Possibly because they set up Sansa's disappearance - with the evidence - as well. Can't be too careful. In the book and so far in the show she still has extra stones - or are they more poison?! - but not clear if GRRM did this on purpose.

The jewel on the far left could also be missing since it's obscured - so it looks like the necklace could just not have been made with gems on either side.

I think it's enough to go on...especially because then as Olenna is walking to her seat, you hear an audible "plink" right as she passes Margery. The only thing that I can't find is Margery slipping into Joff's cup, but we see her handle his cup right before he cuts the cake, and she was sitting next to him all wedding. I haven't had time for a proper rewatch yet, so maybe it's in there somewhere.

I doubt the Unsullied caught any of this, which is why I'm assuming next episode it will be made explicit.

There are better screencaps where you can see the empty holder that actually clamps the jewel.

Possibly because they set up Sansa's disappearance - with the evidence - as well. Can't be too careful. In the book and so far in the show she still has extra stones - or are they more poison?! - but not clear if GRRM did this on purpose.

I have brought this up before , but might as well again.

In the book we have a somewhat elaborated set of meetings of Sansa with Dontos.

This comes about all because LF has set a plan into action.

The chaos that ensues at the PW works in getting Sansa out of KL.

How the hell did LF know about the murder of Joffrey?

He had to since he would have known then that Sansa also would be in jeopardy and needed to remove her.

Even in the book, even when Jamie comes to doubt Tyrion's guilt...nobody but nobody says:

HEY! WASN'T IT REALLY CONVENIENT THAT LITTLEFINGER WAS NOT HERE DURING THE WEDDING!???

Edited by boojam

Since I've only managed to make it about half way through the thread so far, and I don't have the time to finish it right now, I could not wait to ask if there has been any discussion on this particular image from Bran's weirwood visions?

http://i.imgur.com/r3udFJD.png

Geez, what are you supposed to do when someone's choking to the point of bleeding out their eyes and nose? Jaime tried to do whatever he could in that situation, while Cersei was just in pure shock. I don't know how anyone could dispute Lena's acting there; she went wild at the end of it. She literally spat at the guards to seize Tyrion.

Lots of comments on the lack of an anguished wail from Cersei. I missed it too. I felt real sympathy for her during this scene in the book. I also thought it would be a good parallel with Catelyn's cry when Robb is killed--two mothers, two screams. In fact, that would have been a good way to end the episode and save the accusations for episode 3. However, perhaps they were trying to show the difference between Cat and Cersei. Cat goes into a stupor at her son's death and Cersei springs into action/accusation to bring his "murderer" to justice. Works both ways.

How the hell did LF know about the murder of Joffrey?

Because he was behind it.

Even in the book, even when Jamie comes to doubt Tyrion's guilt...nobody but nobody says:

HEY! WASN'T IT REALLY CONVENIENT THAT LITTLEFINGER WAS NOT HERE DURING THE WEDDING!???

Plenty of people were not at the wedding. Littlefinger was sent away by Tywin. There's no reason to connect him to it.

Edited by Colonel Green

I think it's enough to go on...especially because then as Olenna is walking to her seat, you hear an audible "plink" right as she passes Margery. The only thing that I can't find is Margery slipping into Joff's cup, but we see her handle his cup right before he cuts the cake, and she was sitting next to him all wedding. I haven't had time for a proper rewatch yet, so maybe it's in there somewhere.

I doubt the Unsullied caught any of this, which is why I'm assuming next episode it will be made explicit.

Actually, I just re-watched the scene when Dontos gives Sansa the necklace.

It has exactly seven jewels.

There are only five jewels visible in the wedding scenes.

Because he was behind it.

Yeah I know.

Plenty of people were not at the wedding. Littlefinger was sent away by Tywin. There's no reason to connect him to it.

And that does not raise a red flag about Littlefinger?

Or Tywin too?

Edited by boojam

It can be put that way.

Still it's a symbolic emblematic image , not a literal one.

Bran's vision was a call to join the 3EC along with a an account of dangers, threats and calamities that have come to pass for Bran, and some that are yet to come.

1- A sword and Eddard Stark (self-explanatory)

2- A crow flies through the crypts.

2- Bran pushed out of the tower with Cersie's voice in the background (Bran never knew who pushed him).

3- The Others: the child from the pilot (past), the zombie horse from season 2 (past & future), a reflection of a WW in ice (future).

4- Snow in the throne room (future).

5- Dragons over Kings Landing in summer (past vision foretelling of a present & future threat).

If this vision is relevant in anyway, I believe it is relevant in that it tells us that the 3EC sees the dragons as much of a threat as the Others.

Edited by Sun