[Book Spoilers] EP402 Discussion

Ran

The stannis scene ruined the whole episode for me.

I cant possibly think of a more effective way to demonize a character.

I think it's clear the creators want to show Stannis having a moral dilemma. Problem is, I don't think they're doing a good job of it at all.

Margery put the cup on the table in front of the QOT

I was trying to watch QoT in the background after that happened but she wasn't in all the frames. I mean obviously she did it, but I'm wondering how kong they're going to keep the unsullied guessing.

Also that Jaime/Loras scene was glorious.

I'm back to thinking they're going to have Tywin kill Shae and it will be a total total whitewash of the whole thing.

My impression was that Shae would go scorched earth on Tyrion for revenge.

Oooh, though, I really like Chebyshov's idea that Bronn is already bought off and is already lying to Tyrion about Shae. Nice.

Also liked Oberyn reminding Cersei that Myrcella was effectively the Martells' hostage and subtly threatening Myrcella's safety. Well done.

Edited by Newstar

I'm back to thinking they're going to have Tywin kill Shae and it will be a total total whitewash of the whole thing.

I can't decide. Obviously she didn't get on the boat, so has Bronn turned at this point?

There's plenty of time to establish the fact that Sansa's necklace played a role in the murder. I don't see why D&D wouldn't do that. In the books it happened shortly after the wedding, so I'm hoping next week Sansa tells Dontos that the necklace is missing a stone.

They did an excellent job, once again, of writing Sansa out of her own POV chapter. She had, what, two lines, and no scenes of her own? And no agency whatsoever.

The death was handled fairly nicely.

The Bolton scenes were quite good, actually, which is a nice change of pace.

I think it's clear the creators want to show Stannis having a moral dilemma. Problem is, I don't think they're doing a good job of it at all.

The word infidel has such a loaded meaning i cant even start. Its heavily linked with terrorists. I will stop complaining, but man, they may as well have had him talk about his "final solution" for westeros.

The effects/make-up department outdid themselves with Joffrey's face as he suffocated. Awesome. The tension between Tyrion and Joffrey was palpable. You could have cut it with a Valyrian steel sword.

P.S. During the credits, The Rains of Castamere, really almost sounded like it could have been Jack Gleeson singing it.

There's plenty of time to establish the fact that Sansa's necklace played a role in the murder. I don't see why D&D wouldn't do that. In the books it happened shortly after the wedding, so I'm hoping next week Sansa tells Dontos that the necklace is missing a stone.

That plus the preview showed a scene between Margery and Olenna clearly discussing the poisoning. I'm guessing they might just be explicit about it there so the audience knows Tyrion is innocent

When Joffrey grabbed the cup away from Tyrion you could tell there was no wine in it. It was empty. Then he took a sip from it, as if wine was filled almost to the top.

Absolutely. Joff snatched the cup away and it was obviously empty.

Good episode, but I think the show might be making more deviations than I am comfortable with.