[Book Spoilers] EP402 Discussion

Ran

Har. We are gonna get some Banana Peel of Off Screen Doom i believe.

As long as they haven't inadvertently left the Banana Peel on the cutting room floor (someone could break a hip). I half expected the Balon dwarf to say, "I'm not dead yet!" instead of "I'm drowning!"

It's possible she just takes up with Tywin there.

Does she need a justification to take up with Tywin? He's a total DILF (GDILF?). :D (Kidding...kind of.)

It's only because Shae is a moron and has been told multiple times that shit won't work out but she's apparently too dumb to hear.

In Shae's defence, Tyrion's guilty of mixed messages. He's been warning Shae for a while now about how dangerous KL Is, but all the while he's continued his relationship with her and has made no real move to end it, even though nothing was stopping him before. Even in 3x07, his plan was to set Shae up in a nice house as his permanent mistress and support any children they might have, a view hardly compatible with someone afraid for a loved one's life. So it's no surprise that when he warns Shae about the danger in 4x01 and 4x02, she's not seeing it as a basis for ending the relationship--since the danger never led Tyrion to consider ending the relationship before--and is rightly angry that he seems to be giving up on their relationship now when he was previously prepared to maintain it in spite of the risks.

Edited by Newstar

And thus my personal official countdown to his groundbreaking furniture continues...

Yes. Hand chair must happen. Muuuust.

In Shae's defence

Nah...dont even bother. Shae doesnt have a defense, especially in the show where shes just completely insufferable. Im shocked people arent rooting for her death yet.

What happened to Tyrion learning that Joffrey hired the catspaw to kill bran? Seems like a really big part of the story to just leave out. Learning that in the books made his death that much more awesome, hopefully they reveal at some other point in season.

Would have depended on the non-readers remembering that the dagger was Valyrian steel..small enough chance of that so better leaving it out altogether.

Erm, Brienne's love for Jaime is canon. She thinks it when Stoneheart's hanging her. She can do something for honor but still feel love for someone.

It sure is. Pretty classic way of writing it. Their interactions were full of romantic and sexual imagery ("fucking instead of fighting," for starters). And GRRM wrote the episode.

And also... he said so! Beauty and the Beast is a love story. He's got a couple going on in the story, Sansa and the Hound is a classic version, but lots of hints about this one throughout, too.

http://tvline.com/2014/03/25/game-of-thrones-season-4-spoilers-gwendoline-christie-brienne-jamie/

Edited by Le Cygne

What happened to Tyrion learning that Joffrey hired the catspaw to kill bran? Seems like a really big part of the story to just leave out. Learning that in the books made his death that much more awesome, hopefully they reveal at some other point in season.

Pretty sure it was revealed already.

Nonetheless, it's all irrelevant at this point. If you think Joffrey needed anymore reasons for people to find his death satisfying then you clearly haven't been paying attention.

Queen of Whores, so Stannis using the word "infidel" makes you ignore the great family dynamics scene? Stannis was obviously not happy about what was going on, he gave his wife the cold shoulder when she babbled fervently and he plainly felt none of that fervour himself. He was allowing the burning to take place which is a change to the book canon and he used religious language to rationalize it, but it seemed the guy disobeying him pissed him off more. But seriously if this episode makes you abandon the show...then we're not watching the same show.

Edited by Konradsmith

Although I'm no longer convinced the show chooses to go down the same road with Shae being a liar. In fact, the big change seems to be Tyrion lying to Shae because he think it'll save her life. I don't know how they are going to play the Tywin/Shae scene we can suspect (based on the trailers) is coming, but I get the feeling Tysha is cut, and Tyrion will go off looking for Shae in the end. This makes some sort of sense since no one is going to remember who Tysha is without the luxary of reading Tyrions inner monologue like we can in the books. This is a wobbly new direction they are taking, the only way I can see myself happy with it is if they eventually merge it with the Penny storyline. Penny needs to be cut. From the book (too late) and the show. If they send off Shae to have Tyrion find her later on in placed of Penny, that could work....maybe....

I mean I agree that the Shae-lying part can be changed; they've done a good job of setting Shae up to be a "spurned lover" so that bit could work, but there's still no way she's not in the Tower with Tywin if that happens. Also the show does an excellent job of setting up what will happen in the coming episode in the 3-4 minutes of "Previously on Game of Thrones-look at Episode 1 with the scene from S2 where Lommy dies, then have Arya kill Polliver at the end of the episode (also thought it was hilarious GRRM released the new Arya chapter from TWoW on the same day with her saying the same words to Raff).

If the show is going to work the spurned-lover Shae theme, Tyrion will still kill her before he kills Tywin. She'll be there-we still NEED the motivation for Tywin to die and I don't think Tysha is enough. That said, if they choose to get rid of Shae completely, I almost want to guarantee they'll do a "Previously on Game of Thrones" scene from S1 when they're in the tent and Tyrion talks about Tysha, then have Jaime tell him the story when Tyrion is escaping and have that be the sole motivation for killing Tywin. They absolutely have to have one or the other, and obviously I hope they have both.

I think it's that it has no relevance anymore now that Joff is dead. The astute watchers of the show already know that LF encouraged the strife between the Starks and Lannisters. When GRRM reveals that Joffrey was the instigator of the attempt on Bran, it comes like two chapters before Joffrey dies. On the first reading it looks relevant because Tyrion is considering taking Sansa and leaving court ASAP. On a second reading it comes off strongly as GRRM closing the book on Joffrey and telling the reader not to think about it anymore.

I mean I agree that the Shae-lying part can be changed; they've done a good job of setting Shae up to be a "spurned lover" so that bit could work, but there's still no way she's not in the Tower with Tywin if that happens. Also the show does an excellent job of setting up what will happen in the coming episode in the 3-4 minutes of "Previously on Game of Thrones-look at Episode 1 with the scene from S2 where Lommy dies, then have Arya kill Polliver at the end of the episode (also thought it was hilarious GRRM released the new Arya chapter from TWoW on the same day with her saying the same words to Raff).

If the show is going to work the spurned-lover Shae theme, Tyrion will still kill her before he kills Tywin. She'll be there-we still NEED the motivation for Tywin to die and I don't think Tysha is enough. That said, if they choose to get rid of Shae completely, I almost want to guarantee they'll do a "Previously on Game of Thrones" scene from S1 when they're in the tent and Tyrion talks about Tysha, then have Jaime tell him the story when Tyrion is escaping and have that be the sole motivation for killing Tywin. They absolutely have to have one or the other, and obviously I hope they have both.

Perhaps the former poster should re-watch the episode. Tywin explicitly stated he wanted Shae to be in the tower of the hand after the wedding.

Tyrion will kill Shae. Shae will die. It's that simple. Tysha is pretty irrelevant, even in the books imo, we all know she will never appear again in the books.

She's just like a sister to him. ;)

Haw! :D

"Are you sure you're not a Lannister?" in 4x01 sounded an awful lot like a pickup line coming from Jaime.

Tyrion will kill Shae. Shae will die. It's that simple.

Pretty much. The show has always preserved the "major beats" of the books, even if it takes various detours between those major beats.

Edited by Newstar

In one of the early Season 4 trailers, Shae is shown in Tywin's bed looking at a pissed off Tyrion. Also Olena's line to Tywin that he should enjoy something before he dies at least once.

2+2 =?

Tywin also told Cersei to send Shae up to the Tower of the Hand. Huuuuuge foreshadowing there. They wouldn't have included that line had they not intended to follow through with the end on A Storm of Swords.

In one of the early Season 4 trailers, Shae is shown in Tywin's bed looking at a pissed off Tyrion. Also Olena's line to Tywin that he should enjoy something before he dies at least once.

2+2 =?

That Shae scene you're referring to happened in Episode 1.

I highly doubt they would throw that Shae/Tywin chamber scene in the trailer though. That's way too much info.