[Book Spoilers] EP402 Discussion

Ran

I still don't understand how Olenna knew Joffrey would drink from that cup and not Marg,( or anyone other than Joffrey ). It seemed like it was by chance that Tyrion picked that cup up and gave it to Joff.

Edited by Cellio

I assumed they were setting up his rendezvous with Brienne. I'd guess she'd bite his ear.

That could be, I could see her and Locke crossing swords, and I am figuring killing him.

Need to jazz up here story , which after she leaves KL kind goes around in circles, until a certain event.

Geographically it's kind of out whack , would not expect her to get so far north in the time scale implied... but people seem to teleport all over the place in the show!

I still don't understand how Olenna knew Joffrey would drink from that cup and not Marg. It seemed like it was by chance that Tyrion picked that cup up and gave it to Joff.

Always assumed Marg was in on the set up, as well as another person or maybe persons.

One plot puzzle.

With Jamie back in KL.

With all the conspiracy communication between Tywin and Roose Bolton.

Since Tywin knows what Locke did, why hasn't Tywin sent a letter to Roose saying "kill that son-of-bitch" Locke?

Anybody think it was a Tywin conspirator to get Jamie out of the King's Guard?

So did Bronn lie to Tyrion and actually hand over Shae to Cersei?

Always assumed Marg was in on the set up, as well as another person or maybe persons.

I am not so sure anymore, in the promo for the next episode it looks kind of like she was not fully informed on what was going on.

Edited by Cellio

Re. the dragon vision: I believe it is likely an image from the past telling Bran that the dragons have returned to the world. That they exist once again and are a threat. That is all. It is not a vision from the future, it is from the past foreboding a present and future threat.

I'm curious for that as well. I didn't expect that Bronn would outright betray Tyrion like that by handing her over, however it would be a major deviation to actually send her away. The only other explanation would be that she did go, but found a way to get back onto land before the ship departed. The fact that it wasn't shown onscreen though is likely an indicator that something happened which they want us to be surprised by.

Edited by Jairion Lannister

From what I gathered, no. Bronn mentioned he was followed, but he/they believed it was just Varys since he was in on the plan as well. But since we know Tywin ordered Shae to be taken after Cersei pointed her out to him, I think it's safe to say that Bronn believed Shae was safely away before Cersei's people nabbed her.

Re. the dragon vision: I believe it is likely an image from the past telling Bran that the dragons have returned to the world. That they exist once again and are a threat. That is all. It is not a vision from the future, it is from the past foreboding a present and future threat.

I definitely felt it was a vision of the future, as was the the throne room of the red keep being destroyed from above, and seeing snow fall through.

Sorry if someone mentioned this already, since this topic is so big . . . Anyone notice the foreshadowing for Tywin when Olenna told him that he should try to enjoy things? Ala Shae ending up in his bed.

I really think HBO is going to be a lot more graphic than the books. We're gonna find Tywin and Shae all up in each other's arms. I don't think Tyrion will be finding him on the privy.

I thought the episode was really well done; I loved the Dreadfort scenes with Ramsay, Roose, Reek. Ramsay is badass and I can't wait until the scene where he skins Jon Snow alive. I knew the scene was coming when poor Joff got poisoned, but I still cried, just like when I read it in the book. He was my favorite character and part of me wishes that I had written ASOFAI because I would have made a grown up Joffrey the hero at the end of it all and he would adorn the iron throne with the heads of all the evil characters (I always pictured Dany's skull with the white hair still attached to it, lol, at the very top of the throne). Anyway, it's up to Ramsay now to save Westeros!

Overall a really good episode. Our HBOGO feed went out at like 40 minutes into the episode and my unsullied Husband grabbed his phone and I practically yelled at him to drop it cause I knew he was just going on twitter.

I felt like there was good reason for Brienne not to talk to Sansa, she paid her respect to the married couple and just bolted out of there. Until Cersei, on her rampage of verbal terror got to her. I don't mind her and Jamie being at KL earlier and I do wish we had more Jamie expression but they seemed to intent on showing the damage to Joffrey's face that I feel both him and Cersei got cheated out of having better reactions. I feel like they rushed through that part just to have her hurry up and accuse Tyrion.

My dad and husband are both Unsullied and they both think it was the pie and my dad has the killer as the Tyrell family and my husband just knows it's not Tyrion and even wondered if it was Tywin as he finds him tragic but competent.

I mentioned some of the deviations in the Stannis storyline and my husband seems to feel it comes across pretty clear that Stannis is not a believer but that he feels that if her magic works than he'll deal with it.

As far as whether or not Penny exists. Since a big part in the book was that her brother was killed and she attack Tyrion my guess is that if they cut that out they may not eliminate the Penny character as much as introduce her in another way. Although I feel that if Shae does just end up going where whores go they may just eliminate Penny all together and play up Tyrion and Jorah. I do feel that mostly the whole point of Penny's character was to re-humanize Tyrion after her leaves Kings Landing. To be honest. I think I'd much prefer a Tyrion-Jorah match-up if Jorah is less melancholy and more angry and determined in the show.

I am not so sure anymore, in the promo for the next episode it looks kind of like she was not fully informed on what was going on.

I don't think that is in the book.

So it's odd for the QoT to take such a chance.

It can be put that way.

Still it's a symbolic emblematic image , not a literal one.