[BOOK SPOILERS] Discussing Sansa VI: Purple reign

Mladen

As usual, we discuss Sansa in this episode... Remember, this is thread dedicated to book/show parallels, so please have in mind that you might see book spoilers in this thread.

The Lion and the Rose episode has marked an important crossroad in Sansa's journey and I believe that Sophie Turner had another strong Martin-written episode. After her memorable performance in "Blackwater", GRRM truly did amazing job with emphasizing Ms. Turner's talent through Sansa's natural introspection. This was wonderful example of how TV can present a lot of things that are unsaid...

And the way Ms. Turner handled the dwarf show with Robb being mocked is truly wonderful. With the touch of brilliant music and long shots, it was truly heartbreaking to see her, but at the same time, it showed side of Sansa we all love. Her ability to endure, to maintain her composure when they are ripping her heart apart is truly admirable. And even more, to see it presented at TV show in that memorable way.

The problem of course was the damn necklace and confusing storyline around it. Simply, it appears that they wanted to keep it a secret, but got some rather mixed-up results... There were no missing jewels on Sansa's necklace, both Tyrion and QOT were far from the cup at different moments... IDK, but, in their admirable desire to remain secret, they truly made a bit of mess...

For the end, nice touch Sansa getting up to give cup to Tyrion and his "better her than you" line...

The problem of course was the damn necklace and confusing storyline around it. Simply, it appears that they wanted to keep it a secret, but got some rather mixed-up results... There were no missing jewels on Sansa's necklace, both Tyrion and QOT were far from the cup at different moments... IDK, but, in their admirable desire to remain secret, they truly made a bit of mess...

There's an empty spot on Sansa's far left, half hidden near her collarbone and edge of the dress.

There's an empty spot on Sansa's far left, half hidden near her collarbone and edge of the dress.

Yeah the removal of the gem is definitely there - rewatch the scene carefully... Lady Olenna fiddles with Sansa's braids, and then briefly fingers the necklace - her hand curled as if holding something - then cut to Sansa's face and you can see the missing gem is high by her collar bone (her left, our right) next to her dress collar hem.

Yep. I didn't even hear what Olenna was talking about in that scene because I was so absorbed in watching her hands, haha.

I'm pretty sure Joff picked up his goblet from in front of Lady Olenna on his second drink; but someone else will need to confirm that (can't re-watch at the moment).

I did like Sophie Turner's reactions to the jousts. Living hell, anyone ?

In any case "come with me if you want to live" - the Dontonator ? :lol:

Glad to see I wasn't the only one who picked up on this, although technically the line was "Come with me now. If you want to live, we have to leave."

I did like Sophie Turner's reactions to the jousts. Living hell, anyone ?

Sansa's stoic poise throughout the dwarf entertainment was so well done. She was perfect.

I didn't really care for the way Dontos rushed her that way... but they've changed that whole story arc from front to back so of course now it seems so odd to have him suddenly show up with the special necklace and then whisk her away.

I didn't really care for the way Dontos rushed her that way... but they've changed that whole story arc from front to back so of course now it seems so odd to have him suddenly show up with the special necklace and then whisk her away.

Less Dontos in the story overall. It's kind of sad that his whole trying to be a heroic knight again is lost, but I think this is mostly a casting thing driving it. Dontos role is shortened, but not gone.

As linked elsewhere, here is the shot of Olenna lifting the jewel from the necklace.

http://skywarpgold.com/img/QoT_stone.png

The missing jewel was definitely apparent. I went back to watch episode 1 when he gives her the necklace and it had 7 jewels. After speaking with Olenna, there are only 6 jewels. One of them is covered by her hair on her right side, but the one on the left is definitely missing.

At the same time Olenna takes the stone from Sansa's necklace, listen to what she's saying. She's condemning Lannister actions at the Red Wedding, implying Joffery since he claims credit for winning the war, and subtly calling him a monster for killing a man at a wedding. Notice she also implies herself with this line, albeit a more graceful and wise monster. And as Tyrion says: Monsters are Dangerous.

But the conversation about the RW also reveals Olenna's motive for involving Sansa at all: Justice. Olenna likes Sansa and thinks that what was done to her family was a crime. She also knows Sansa is not in any position to seek any redress of this. So, planning on killing Joffery anyway, she arranges to have the instrument of Joffery's death be borne by the last of the Stark family. That Sansa knew nothing was simply done to protect her, but still... The Starks send their regarrrrrrds.

Olenna put on a show of "this is how you wield power." Joffery is dead. Margery is the queen, or at least has a claim the Lannisters can't ignore. The Starks got some justice. Dontos isn't the type the Lannisters/Joffery would be monitoring, and he and Sansa are entering Witness Protection. No one suspects the Tyrells at all despite the fact that she did it in front of ALL the Lannisters, the Kingsguard and all the Lords of the Realm.

Well Played Lady Olenna

At the same time Olenna takes the stone from Sansa's necklace, listen to what she's saying. She's condemning Lannister actions at the Red Wedding, implying Joffery since he claims credit for winning the war, and subtly calling him a monster for killing a man at a wedding. Notice she also implies herself with this line, albeit a more graceful and wise monster. And as Tyrion says: Monsters are Dangerous.

But the conversation about the RW also reveals Olenna's motive for involving Sansa at all: Justice. Olenna likes Sansa and thinks that what was done to her family was a crime. She also knows Sansa is not in any position to seek any redress of this. So, planning on killing Joffery anyway, she arranges to have the instrument of Joffery's death be borne by the last of the Stark family. That Sansa knew nothing was simply done to protect her, but still... The Starks send their regarrrrrrds.

Olenna put on a show of "this is how you wield power." Joffery is dead. Margery is the queen, or at least has a claim the Lannisters can't ignore. The Starks got some justice. Dontos isn't the type the Lannisters/Joffery would be monitoring, and he and Sansa are entering Witness Protection. No one suspects the Tyrells at all despite the fact that she did it in front of ALL the Lannisters, the Kingsguard and all the Lords of the Realm.

Well Played Lady Olenna

agreed. olenna really owns any scene she is in and in this scene, really showed where her loyalties lie and it was really cool of her to try to convey this to sansa. this is the type of writing grrm is known for. so glad he wrote this episode!

Well Played Lady Olenna

Definitely a brilliant power play by Olenna; but I disagree that she had any desire to avenge the Starks. She used Sansa as a pawn and scapegoat to shield herself and Margaery; and she had to know that Sansa would be accused of complicity. Olenna's actions also assured that Sansa would have to go into hiding, unable to use her own name, for a long time, possibly the rest of Sansa's life.

Great acting by Sophie Turner (and most of the cast except for Shae).

I really loved Sophie Turner in that episode. I have not been a fan of Sansa so far but Turner's acting in the two first episodes has impressed me and starts to win me over for (at least HBO) Sansa. She has a brain, she shows emotions, can be furious, she makes her position clear, and now her play shows that she has an understanding of the subtleties and power games that are going on. "And now we have a new Queen", her voice got so wonderfully cynical. Faced with Joffrey's cruelty Turner shows a dead face - let me disappear please - while at the same time giving a sideways glance of concern towards Tyrion, knowing that shit would soon hit the fan. We see every memory of her father's beheading at the dwarf jousting mirrored in her face, just like shame about Tyrion's treatment. Did she recognize Ice? Tyrion and Sansa were equally disgusted about the book chopping. Before that Sansa and Tyrion both had passed that incredulous look towards Joffrey when he talked about reading and learning.

And the solidarity and empathy she showed to Tyrion when she passed the goblet, putting herself in the same humiliating position Tyrion was, under the table, two victims of Joffrey and yet proud, full of understanding for each other, great acting.

I really can't add more than what was already said. Obviously, Sophie Turner did an excellent job b/c even my Unsullied hubby picked up on her emotional response to seeing the sword, which he only understood the significance of that sword scene in the first episode after I explained it to him. I haven't had a chance to rewatch it yet, but the whole display of the War of the 5 Kings was great - seeing her reaction and Tyrion's. I loved when she helped Tyrion with the goblet.

I saw the missing stone immediately, but like Koi - I zoned into the necklace as soon as Olenna came over to her and you can see what's happening and the missing jewel.

As linked elsewhere, here is the shot of Olenna lifting the jewel from the necklace.

http://skywarpgold.com/img/QoT_stone.png

Wow, I totally missed that...

Furthermore, has anyone also noticed how camera zoomed to Olenna several times? I especially liked "cursed be he who seek to tear them asunder" by the HS, and Olenna in the shot (quite Eowyn moment :))

Dontotator :)

Well Played Lady Olenna

I am sorry, but I have to disagree with this. Olenna certainly had no Stark in her mind when she was doing this, both in books and TV show. Tyrells are doing this for the power, not to avenge anyone. As to Margaery, she has no claim, as the book series showed and as TV will too, as far as I have seen the promo for the next episode.

There were no missing jewels on Sansa's necklace

1 was missing.

And QoT sitted right of Joffrey and was near the cup, when the pigeon pie was cut.

Sophie was awesome. From season to season she grows up as an actress stronger and stronger.

And the reaction of QoT and others to the dwarf performance is mostly confusing. Too much disrespect was shown to Sansa, Loras and other related characters.

Archived