Will Jaime ever be as Good..

Usman Mir

Ok with the release of the second episode of season 4, we see Jaime trying to overcome his amputation and try sword fighting with his left hand but is he ever going to be as good with in sword fight as he was with his right hand.

If we come to think of it, he can use his gold hand to block swords as we cant feel pain anymore than that so he can use this as his advantage.

I think this belongs in the Game of Thrones section and not the aSoIaF section but whatever. He will never be what he was but that doesnt mean he cant be a great swordsman (He was arguably the best alive with his right hand. His battle with Brienne should be telling since he was out of practice and in chains and she is probably top 15 currently alive as far as skill goes). He most definitely does not use his gold hand to block, he just straps a shield to his right arm. With extensive training he may be formidable again, but as he is getting his getting soundly beaten by a knight who's been fighting heads restrained on a block for the last 12 years, he has a long way to go.

Götz von Berlichingen had an iron hand at 24 and was a fighter and military leader for almost another 50. I doubt Jaime would ever be his own equal with his left hand, he can still be good enough. His position as LC of the KG means he won't have to fight on the field either.

As to whether or not he's good, yes he is finally or turning good.

Götz von Berlichingen had an iron hand at 24 and was a fighter and military leader for almost another 50. I doubt Jaime would ever be his own equal with his left hand, he can still be good enough. His position as LC of the KG means he won't have to fight on the field either.

As to whether or not he's good, yes he is finally or turning good.

I think he has been good all along. For instance, the first we hear of Aerys plans to "nuke" KL comes from a conversation with Brienne. This story is most likely true considering the caches of wildfire found in KL, yet this is a relatively unknown fact. As LC he will have to join the fight on the field whenever necesary. Think of Ned's memory of the ToJ, when Arthur Dayne was LC. Ned expected him on every major battle he fought. I don't suppose this is a big issue though as the KG is pretty much a joke right now. Ser Loras is the only knight of merit (with the exception of Jaime) currently residing on the KG, where as a generation ago almost all where.

Dayne wasn't LC, Gerold Hightower was, and neither was on the field the entire war apparently

Sorry you are correct, the White Bull was LC. Doesn't change my argument though as both took the same actions during Robert's rebellion, as you stated. Honestly I appreciate the correction. I hate being wrong, but I hate being wrong without knowing it more lol!

He might become as skillfull with his left hand as he was with his right. Look at the Halfhand,

but even should he never become as skillfull with left as he was with right, he could still be the very best.

Think about this in a time where being left handed is considered a taboo and so everyone learns to fight with his right hand against men who fight with their right hand.

It takes a huge adaptation in fighting technique for the right handed man to face a left handed, whereas the left handed will have no adaptation problems (except for learning to use left as well as right)

Victarion could have done much better for himself with a gold, or more likely, iron, hand. Certainly wouldn't have had to turn to the Red God to cure his situation.

I think Jaime will become decently proficient, at least good enough to kill or disarm Loras Tyrell at some point in the future. He will have the one thing he never had (and arguably the best asset Brienne has) which is that his opponents will now underestimate him.

Victarion could have done much better for himself with a gold, or more likely, iron, hand. Certainly wouldn't have had to turn to the Red God to cure his situation.

I think Jaime will become decently proficient, at least good enough to kill or disarm Loras Tyrell at some point in the future. He will have the one thing he never had (and arguably the best asset Brienne has) which is that his opponents will now underestimate him.

Victarion fights with a shield. An iron hand wouldn't be very useful in holding it.

Victarion fights with a shield. An iron hand wouldn't be very useful in holding it.

I guess they could still fix a shield to a forearm though, many wider shields were not directly held by the hand.

In Jamie's case however, he's just too experienced with his right hand, to become skilled with his left will require years if not decades of practise, just to learn to stop fighting his nstincts and stop blocking backwards. By then he could be long past his prime. He might be an excellent swordsman, or become a more skilled military strategist if he opens a few books and acts less rashly, but he'll never catch up to his former self in this area.

Archived