Jack Gleeson tribute thread

Mr Hodor

I saw an interview with him in which he said that acting just ceased to be fun for him. Maybe he simply needs a break ... and maybe he also just needs to realize what the employment chances (and the wages) are for somebody with a degree in Theology and Hebrew or whatever strange stuff he is studying.

I saw an interview with him in which he said that acting just ceased to be fun for him. Maybe he simply needs a break ... and maybe he also just needs to realize what the employment chances (and the wages) are for somebody with a degree in Theology and Hebrew or whatever strange stuff he is studying.

Yeah he said it was fun when he was doing it as a hobby, but he just didn't like it as a profession.

A good way to ease him back in there.

"Hey Jack, we're doing a bit of a play down the local hall, want to join in mate?"

"Cameras? Oh? Those, nah don't know what they are there for. Just ignore them mate."

He doesn't seem to want to carry on with acting.

He's left the door open for the distant future, in the last interview snippet of his I read. But for now he's done because he has other interests and other talents he wants to pursue. And that's awesome, because it means he'll never have to take on a project he doesn't want to do because he needs the money or something like that. He'll have a degree and a real life and options.

If he ever makes a return to acting, it'll be on his terms and it'll be because it's a role he really wants to do for his own sake. Which means he'll be excited about it and do it with his full passion and talent, which as we've seen with King Joffrey is considerable.

He doesn't seem to like Celebrity Culture very much (and who can blame him?) Maybe his "walking away" is a repudiation of that on top of everything else. Another reason for me to admire and respect his decision.

"Always leave them wanting more," they say. He's certainly doing that.

He's also retiring on top of his game, which is also very cool.

I have such love for that kid. Like Tom Felton was a great Draco Malfoy, but Jack Gleeson's Joffrey took the cake. He's gonna take a break and come back looking like a grown man. Someone is going to hand him a role he wouldn't refuse, and we'll be happy to see him again.

We have to understand that he saw acting as a hobby and he landed a role that now is part of the tv history and even pop culture. It was a huge thing for a young man to assimilate and he probably hasn't completely. I wish he reconsiders, though. Either way, he's retiring on top: never in my whole life as a tv junkie, I've seen a character who has been so delightful to hate.

This may be good for him or it may be bad, but he will be forever Joffrey.

He brought the vileness, the conceit that is Joffrey Lannister to life.

You loved to hate him, appreciated the skill it takes to be that evil and not be a caricature of evil that can happen so easily (Victoria on Revenge for example).

Mr. Gleeson.... :bowdown:

you earned it.

Im actually hella butthurt that Gleeson is retiring from acting. Cuz he would be so amazeballs in a lot of other stuff and a Caligula remake and omgosh...i just am so sad to see all these juicy possibilities get shot down. I mean, i respect his decision and all and hes got a really good reason, but still~~

:crying:

We got a fantastic Joff out of it so im pretty happy with what hes given us. He was best Joff. Best Joff ever. I loved that mannerism he created. You know the one, where hes on the Iron Throne and hes always kinda picking at the arm of it. It had an element of uncertainty in him. One of those little details that adds so much.

A couple episodes into the show there were two actors I had pegged as the people most likely to be made into stars by this show.

Maisie Williams and Jack Gleeson.

The casting on this show has been consistently excellent but they both stood out to me right away as absolute home runs. Great talents with the right look and charisma.

I'm still holding to my prediction on Williams, of course. But I think Gleeson's performance totally establishes that he could be a star of tomorrow if he wanted to. In light of that I think its even more cool that he is stopping. It's one thing to give up acting if you stink, but he's walking away from something he's great at, because he's got other things on his plate.

Though it would not be unprecedented for a successful child actor to give it up, have a real life and succeed at that, and come back to acting on their own terms many years later...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayim_Bialik

(edit: although it seems she did voiceover work in the interim so it's not exactly the same. but still...)

Though it would not be unprecedented for a successful child actor to give it up, have a real life and succeed at that, and come back to acting on their own terms many years later...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayim_Bialik

(edit: although it seems she did voiceover work in the interim so it's not exactly the same. but still...)

NPH as well, I think.

Hands down the best casting in the series I think. I wish him all the best in whatever other career he is interested in pursuing but I really do hope he takes a break and returns to acting later on. He has amazing talent. Love the batshit crazy lines he delivers so well;

"I AM KING"

"I SAID KNEEL"

"I'M NOT TIRED"

:rofl:

I loved reading about his death but in terms of the show, I loved seeing his over the top psycho performance and am really going to miss seeing both Joff and Jack.

Even Loki got nervous when Jack screamed "I SAID KNEEL!"

I'm still holding to my prediction on Williams, of course.

Oh shes gonna be a huge star. Her and Turner both. Williams has a passion for dance and Turner, a passion for fashion. So they have other avenues right away if they choose not to stay full on into acting. I do know Maisie did a short film but i cant remember the name of it.

Im just selfish and wanna see more Gleeson being awesome. /selfishes lol

If he ever comes back, ill be rooting for it.

Archived