Interpretation of Bran's vision. [BOOK SPOILERS]

I am not sure about Jon Snow discovering the truth of his parentage in the crypts. Who would believe him? If he has this vision and he knows it how would he convince the rest of the world that R+L=J? What proof would he have? Even if he got something out of Lyanna's crypt he would have to have the fact substantiated by someone else.

I like the theory that the High Septon in TDWD is Howland Reed. Someone with high standing would have to state it and then prove it. Or maybe the dragon Rhaegal will have some role in it.

Or maybe this is just another twist that I cannot see yet. Only time will tell.

This revelation will not affect Jon much because he will be concentrated on the war against the Others. I think he will continue what he is doing, i.e. organizing the people against the common threat. After the Wall fails and no other person left to play the game of thrones except Dany, he will press his claim to unite what force left in the Realm under his command against the Others. People will believe his claim after he saves the humanity. There cannot be a more convincing proof than this.

I actually tried making a thread on this topic but it hasn't gone up until now. Anyways here's my interpretation of each and every vision except for the last one where BR says "North":

Crypts of Winterfell - The first vision we see is that of a heart tree, followed by the TRV flying through the crypts of Winterfell. Directly after that, we see the image Eddard Stark sharpening Ice and the close shot of his eye in the Black Cells of the Red Keep when Varys comes to visit him in season 1. You could simply say that this is repetition of Bran's previous vision in season 1 where he predicts his fathers death, but I think it points to the importance of the crypts of Winterfell. Many here on the forums believe that the Crypts of Winterfell will have some importance in the revealing of Jon's parentage and that something is hidden in Lyanna's crypt specifically. The fact that Eddard is being shown could be hinting towards the fact that he knew something about the crypts and about the secret that he took with him to his grave (Which is that R+L=J).

The Little Girl - After that vision, we see an image of a girl in robes standing in the woods beyond the wall. In the background we hear a voice, obviously BR, saying that Bran should look for him "beneath the tree". As many pointed out from one of the trailers, this girl could be one of the CotF and in this case, BR is hinting to Bran as to who will help him find him.

Snow on the Throne and Winter - After this we see a series of visions all dealing with the coming Winter. We see the Other's dead horse from the end of season 2, we see one staring through what looks like a frozen river and we see, once again, Snow on the Iron Throne. There are two ways of interpreting this. On the one hand, you could simply say that BR is trying to show Bran the ultimate outcome if he is to fail in his mission to stop the WW. On the other hand, the fact that they are showing us the same imagery from Dany's vision at the HotU could point towards a stronger meaning of this scene. It could be that this directly points towards Jon Snow's actual parentage. Just like how the first vision could point to it, this vision could mean that snow is of royal heritage. It doesn't necessarily mean that he will sit on the IT or become King, just that he is Rhaegar's son and therefore, the true heir to the IT.

Bran falling - This is one of the visions that I loved the most. We see Bran falling down the tower, with Cersei screaming "He saw us!" in the background. Could this possibly point towards Bran regaining his memory of why he fell? How would that have any significance for his story if he finds out why or how he fell, especially if he is to be the next greenseer?

The Black Dragon over Kings Landing - I'm just going to flat out say it here. I don't think that this is hinting to Dany heading to KL, and that it is just there to put the show watchers off. I think this scene is hinting more to the fact that Aegon will take KL since it only shows the shadow of a dragon looming over it. In the books, we know that "dragons" in prophecies don't have to literally mean dragons but that they could be refering to Targaryens or Blackfyres instead. The fact that it is only the shadow that we see is also interesting: It is a black dragon flying over a red city, the banner of House Blackfyre. In short you could say that this visions means "a black dragon will come to KL". Could this possibly hint to the fact that Aegon is indeed a Blackfyre and that he will take King's Landing in TWoW?

About the crypts: I like that theory, although I think it might also symbolize Bran's journey (Winterfell --> Ned's Death --> hiding in the crypts --> going north).

The little girl: As others have pointed out, this is clearly the Wight girl from episode 1 of season 1. After that, we see an undead horse and the White Walker through the ice, which to me means pointing out the dangers of going north / showing Bran what's awaiting him up there.

Snow on the throne: This could have so many different interpretations. We know that winter will definitely arrive in KL. It might also mean that the White Walkers will arrive in KL or that KL will be nothing but ruins and ash when all is said and done (general symbolism: winter = death) or it might mean that Snow (Jon) will sit on the IT.

Bran falling: I agree. This most likely symbolizes Bran's memory returning.

Dragon over KL: Interesting theory which I fully support.

http://youtu.be/wEBTxrvzvNA what's that supposed to be at 3:08?? if it's bloodraven ill be extremely disappointed!!

That's the face of a heart tree (I think).

I love this thread. I love the dragon shadow possibly being Aegon casting a shadow over KL. The Snow on the throne seems a little obvious, but maybe that's because we're here on this forum. I'm sorry Coldhands isn't in the story because it means he's not important to the bigger story, but I love seeing more visions - the HOTU visions were so long ago - I needed more. I hope we get some more warging visions as well, from Bran, Arya and Jon.

I dunno I kinda feel as if the dragons in KL IS dany, but the war is too destructive and the importance of the WW is overlooked by the players in the war and they will take over the ruins of westeros (this is IF something doesnt change, bran/jon/anybody fighting off/helping in someway to destroy the WW. the fact that they are in the visions is a warning to bran in some ways.

z little off topic but my hope for the asoiaf-thing is ice=jon dany=fire and somehow they both help in overcoming the WW. the importance of dany and the DRAGONS(VERY OLD MAGIC) is heavily undermined in some of the discussions here...

could also be fire=r'hllor ice=ww.. i dunno..

i do think the snow on the throne isn't so much philosophic but more of a warning of what will happen if something isnt done about the WW

I like that Meera says to Bran "Without you, we have nothing". I'm sure she doesn't mean that without Bran she, Jojen and Hodor have nothing but something broader.

Bran was the first POV in the story and I have the feeling that he will be the instrumental character for the end. I see him a little as Frodo, the character that is isolated by all the action, the plotting, the wars; the character who has the hardest path to follow (Mordor/Beyond the Wall); and will -very possibly - be the last POV making the story come full circle. GRRM had thought of the endgame when he started writing the books so maybe his decision to start with Bran and not one of the other POVs of the Starks is telling.

I thought I was the only one who noticed that. The snow in the throne room is a previous scene from HOTU in season 2 along with the others you listed. There will be no COTF in the HBO version and it seemed that it was just thrown together...BUT I still think they have meaning.

what makes you say that? about the COTF.

Long time reader of the forum and first time poster here, hopefully I do this right.

So I don't know how many of you watch the 'Inside the Episode' videos after they air but for episodes 2 video D&D talk about Brans visions. I'm pretty sure they say they picked each one very carefully and the one they thought was the most important was the destroyed throne room with snow falling on it.

I think it symbolizes 2 things: what's going to happen in the future war with Aegon and the Lannisters/Tyrells/Other allies. If I remember right snow has begun to fall in KL at the end of ADWD. And second that Snow (Jon Snow) will end up saving what is rightfully his, the Iron Throne.

Edit: I re-watched the video and they actual say the dragon flying across Kings Landing was the most important vision. My bad.

I know the show is following its own canon but isn`t it supposed to snow in KL by the end of ADWD? In that case, how can the dragon shadow be a vision of the future?

It is a vision. It can be past, present or future.

Snow comes and goes, even in this universe.

Correct me.

I thought I heard someone scream North in the end! And it seemed like Stannis.

That was Bloodraven screaming North. He was basically telling Bran where to find him. He also says to look under the tree. After rewatching the scene though I can easily see how you would think it sounded like Stannis. However, it's clearly Bloodraven talking the whole time so it would make little sense to switch to Stannis at the end.

I actually tried making a thread on this topic but it hasn't gone up until now. Anyways here's my interpretation of each and every vision except for the last one where BR says "North":

Crypts of Winterfell - The first vision we see is that of a heart tree, followed by the TRV flying through the crypts of Winterfell. Directly after that, we see the image Eddard Stark sharpening Ice and the close shot of his eye in the Black Cells of the Red Keep when Varys comes to visit him in season 1. You could simply say that this is repetition of Bran's previous vision in season 1 where he predicts his fathers death, but I think it points to the importance of the crypts of Winterfell. Many here on the forums believe that the Crypts of Winterfell will have some importance in the revealing of Jon's parentage and that something is hidden in Lyanna's crypt specifically. The fact that Eddard is being shown could be hinting towards the fact that he knew something about the crypts and about the secret that he took with him to his grave (Which is that R+L=J).

The Little Girl - After that vision, we see an image of a girl in robes standing in the woods beyond the wall. In the background we hear a voice, obviously BR, saying that Bran should look for him "beneath the tree". As many pointed out from one of the trailers, this girl could be one of the CotF and in this case, BR is hinting to Bran as to who will help him find him.

Snow on the Throne and Winter - After this we see a series of visions all dealing with the coming Winter. We see the Other's dead horse from the end of season 2, we see one staring through what looks like a frozen river and we see, once again, Snow on the Iron Throne. There are two ways of interpreting this. On the one hand, you could simply say that BR is trying to show Bran the ultimate outcome if he is to fail in his mission to stop the WW. On the other hand, the fact that they are showing us the same imagery from Dany's vision at the HotU could point towards a stronger meaning of this scene. It could be that this directly points towards Jon Snow's actual parentage. Just like how the first vision could point to it, this vision could mean that snow is of royal heritage. It doesn't necessarily mean that he will sit on the IT or become King, just that he is Rhaegar's son and therefore, the true heir to the IT.

Bran falling - This is one of the visions that I loved the most. We see Bran falling down the tower, with Cersei screaming "He saw us!" in the background. Could this possibly point towards Bran regaining his memory of why he fell? How would that have any significance for his story if he finds out why or how he fell, especially if he is to be the next greenseer?

The Black Dragon over Kings Landing - I'm just going to flat out say it here. I don't think that this is hinting to Dany heading to KL, and that it is just there to put the show watchers off. I think this scene is hinting more to the fact that Aegon will take KL since it only shows the shadow of a dragon looming over it. In the books, we know that "dragons" in prophecies don't have to literally mean dragons but that they could be refering to Targaryens or Blackfyres instead. The fact that it is only the shadow that we see is also interesting: It is a black dragon flying over a red city, the banner of House Blackfyre. In short you could say that this visions means "a black dragon will come to KL". Could this possibly hint to the fact that Aegon is indeed a Blackfyre and that he will take King's Landing in TWoW?

Woah awesome theory about the Black Dragon over KL. Didn't think about the black on red aspect. I believe Aegon 1) is a blackfyre and 2) will sit the IT (at least for a little bit) so I'm fully on board. You're right about dragons in prophecies never being about a literal dragon but more of symbol for Targs or Blackfyres. I'm really hoping the vision alludes to either this, or Bran warging a dragon, considering it representing Dany in KL is too obvious.

Archived