Is it just me or has the dialogue lost something?

Maybe a budgetary reason to justify hiring the young actress who plays Shireen? I'm fine with it, because the girl is doing a fine job; she is really bringing Shireen to life for me. It was particularly poignant to see this lonely little girl sleeping in what looks like a dungeon (Dragonstone decor is particularly spartan) being addressed as "Princess" by the priestess who just burned her uncle (and others).

Count me in with those who found the Joffrey/Tyrion interaction at the wedding quite tense and riveting. The two actors had fine support from Sophie Turner as Sansa as well as assorted Lannisters and Tyrells and others who reacted in different ways (mostly with disgust at Joffrey's nastiness, except for Cersei, who was delighted and smug at the sight of her boy humiliating Tyrion).

I have no problem with it either. I was perhaps opening discussion on whether that scene will become important, or at least relevant, since I can't really think of why the discussion was filmed. I'm not one of those people that thinks Mel will suggest burning Shireen, but perhaps Shireen plays an important role if perhaps only to be a window into Melissandre's history.

Have to agree that the dialogue has never really been the show's strongest point (it lacks subtlety), but the non-verbal reactions were really good this episode (much better than all the dialogue combined). Especially Turner's reaction to the dwarves' performance.

I have no problem with it either. I was perhaps opening discussion on whether that scene will become important, or at least relevant, since I can't really think of why the discussion was filmed. I'm not one of those people that thinks Mel will suggest burning Shireen, but perhaps Shireen plays an important role if perhaps only to be a window into Melissandre's history.

I'd rather have Shireen/Melisandre dialogue than more of Selyse, especially Selyse and her dead babies in jars. I wonder if they're trying to suggest that Melisandre is basically a kinder person than Selyse, despite Mel's fondness for burning people alive? Or at least a more sane person than Selyse? Hard to tell. I'm not a huge fan of the show's incarnation of the Dragonstone group, except for Davos and Shireen.

I don't really see how they've made her any more shrill than her book counterpart. In many ways she's more realistic, like for instance, not having a mustache which would have made her into more of a caricature than the pickled fetuses would. The point is that Stan has an odd family dynamic and if Selyse disliking Shireen can make Shireen into Stan's "morality pet" (a tvtropes.com term) then it's fine by me.

My biggest problem is how flat everything felt. It didn't feel like it was building up to any thing, or that the atmosphere was getting more intense. In the book it felt this way, but not on the show. Normally the show is very good at building tension and atmosphere, like Ned's coup in the throne room in 1x7 (one of my favourite scenes in the show), and the mutiny at Craster's, but here it just... fizzled out. I dunno. I was underwhelmed. Hopefully this failure was a one-off and the show goes back up to better quality.

I think having read the books may spoil some on what a treat the writing can be in the show. There's often a preconceived notion of how a scene should be played out or acted in context with the novels.

There's a reason why critics and Unsullied praise the show as they do. What good is a complex character without well-written dialogue? I'm not saying it's always the case - they do stumble every now and then. But every show does, even the great ones. There's plenty of moments in Deadwood where dialogue falls flat because even Milch seems to try too hard in coming across as rough and poetic (never the case with Al though, I'll give him that!). The Wire is another example; although I think that can attributed to a lot of the "improv" that goes into making it feel authentic. It's just the way it goes. GoT does a fine job of getting across the essential points and conflict, without bogging down too much in exposition, and consolidating for those introverted characters. Again, they're not always perfect, but I still think they do a commendable job for the most part.

I thought they built the tension wonderfully during the wedding, and that seems pretty evident from all the Unsullied reactions of fearing a bomb would drop (not in their favour). Even though I knew what was coming, I was still on the edge of my seat just like the tavern scene last episode.

That's just my opinion as a person who watches GoT objectively, anyway.

Shireen/Mel scene was awesome because it really shows that Shireen is her own person and more like her daddy than she realizes. I loved it. I also loved it cuz the Great Other got a mention at long last.

Thoughts? Am I the only one who feels this way?

Heh probably. Two episodes in and we have the Hound's Chicken Extravaganza, Oberyn's everything, Loras' epic ice burn, Snarky Jon, and "I fucking hate Thenns."

If anything, its getting better.

I think having read the books may spoil some on what a treat the writing can be in the show. There's often a preconceived notion of how a scene should be played out or acted in context with the novels.

I remained unsullied until midway through Season 3, and part of the reason I gave in and read the books is because I felt the dialogue had diminished pretty substantially from Season 1 and didn't show any signs of improving (also because I fell victim to the spoilers of some massive, massive dick).

RW, PW, Shae

and Tywin

Doesn't mean I'm right or wrong, but I don't think it's a matter of preconceived notions and cognitive dissonance - at least not for me.

I remained unsullied until midway through Season 3, and part of the reason I gave in and read the books is because I felt the dialogue had diminished pretty substantially from Season 1 and didn't show any signs of improving (also because I fell victim to the spoilers of some massive, massive dick).

RW, PW, Shae

and Tywin

Doesn't mean I'm right or wrong, but I don't think it's a matter of preconceived notions and cognitive dissonance - at least not for me.

Characters are snarkier now, thats the only thing ive noticed. But everyone has been through so much, its hard not to be so snarky. /shrug

Ok whoa...some jerk spoiled

TYWIN AND SHAE?

for you? I would kick him right in the berries. I have unsullied fans all around me giving me theories about whats gonna happen now and i wouldnt dare spoil that for them. I havent hinted at it.

This is the first season that I'm not unsullied so a lot of the shock factor is gone for me, obviously. Really wanted to be blown away w this episode and just wasn't. Very disappointed.

That's how I felt about The Rains of Castamere last year, since season 3 was the first season I watched not Unsullied. Having read the books definitely takes away a certain element of excitement and satisfaction from the show.

I think its exciting because i love seeing how this comes alive on screen. Things i only imagined being realized, and seeing how the plots unfold all over again. Of course, im an optimist and dont like shitting on everything.

If having high expectations and being disappointed is being pessimistic, then I guess I am :dunno:

My biggest problem is how flat everything felt. It didn't feel like it was building up to any thing, or that the atmosphere was getting more intense. In the book it felt this way, but not on the show. Normally the show is very good at building tension and atmosphere, like Ned's coup in the throne room in 1x7 (one of my favourite scenes in the show), and the mutiny at Craster's, but here it just... fizzled out. I dunno. I was underwhelmed. Hopefully this failure was a one-off and the show goes back up to better quality.

This. It just felt flat all episode.

This whole thread is so odd, I guess it just corralled all the tin ears on this forum.

As noted at the beginning of the thread the majority of the TV critics of the show have praised it for the sharp dialog (and no I don't think they have tin ears!)

Charles Dance and Dianna Rigg , both veteran Shakespearian actors, took to their characters because of the writing, that means the dialog too... I am not going against the judgment of experienced actors.

That's how I felt about The Rains of Castamere last year, since season 3 was the first season I watched not Unsullied. Having read the books definitely takes away a certain element of excitement and satisfaction from the show.

I slightly disagree. When I was watching the RW last year (and I don't even like Cat while being totally indifferent towards Robb) as a sullied book reader, I ended up standing with my hands over my mouth, saying "no, no, no". With PW I was totally unmoved. It dragged on and on. It didn't look like a royal wedding. And when it all happened, it was a total anti-climax for me. I mostly blame the director and Peter Dinklage whom I really admire, but he was totally off in this episode. Jaime's presence at Joffrey's side was totally unused. So, why was he there then? He is his father. His son is dying. We have to feel what he feels. If he feels nothing, we have to see it. As I have already said, Tywin was at three places at once - covering Tommen's eyes, looking over Cersei to see dying Joffrey and standing in front of the dais. It a huge directorial faux pas.

It's probably impossible to watch the Joffrey-Tyrion back-and-forth in the same light if you know how the scene is roughly going to play out. If you are completely unspoiled you have to be worried that Joffrey is going to end up killing him by the end of the scene (we know he wants to, and we know no character is safe), and I'm pretty sure that every jibe and retort back and forth between the two is going to be seen as notching up the tension towards that very possible outcome. But if you know that's not going to happen in advance it will inevitably take something away from the scene, surely? (and there's nothing anyone can do about that).

This whole thread is so odd, I guess it just corralled all the tin ears on this forum.

As noted at the beginning of the thread the majority of the TV critics of the show have praised it for the sharp dialog (and no I don't think they have tin ears!)

Charles Dance and Dianna Rigg , both veteran Shakespearian actors, took to their characters because of the writing, that means the dialog too... I am not going against the judgment of experienced actors.

I don't think people should feel they have to think a certain way just because some of the actors on the show do, regardless of how talented they are. The show does have a lot of good dialogue, both from the books and a few snappy gems that D+D manage to come up. But it can be very patchy at times and sometimes comes out rather awkward and stilted.

Archived