Is it just me or has the dialogue lost something?

I don't think people should feel they have to think a certain way just because some of the actors on the show do, regardless of how talented they are. The show does have a lot of good dialogue, both from the books and a few snappy gems that D+D manage to come up. But it can be very patchy at times and sometimes comes out rather awkward and stilted.

I find some awkward dialog too, but , to me, it is quite rare.

Also I do wonder about 'takes' , not as much time as one has for film.

Also why I mentioned earlier about how good the directors are with dialog?

Most directors don't get where they are unless they are good at organization and execution of visual drama.

But not all directors have as good an ear for how a piece of dialog has been delivered.

I don't know how many takes they do with Dance?

He's the kind of actor who can do the sow's ear to a silk purse kind of thing.

A number of the actors on the show can do that... tho I don't think as consistently as Dance.

I note reading, was it from Graves?, that when Jack said "My mouth is dry", the cast and crew would break up and they would have to reset...

I would have guessed that line would have been Natalie's "Look!Here the cake!" (or does she say 'pie')....

her delivery is funny , even if it's meant to defuse things.

As I have already said, Tywin was at three places at once - covering Tommen's eyes, looking over Cersei to see dying Joffrey and standing in front of the dais. It a huge directorial faux pas.

I just rewatched the scene with your point in mind - and it's simply not true. When Jofrrey falls to the ground and starts vomiting, Tywin goes to Tommen to cover his eyes. We see him again 7-8 seconds later heading toward Joffrey and Cersei. He remains there, near Joffrey's feet, for the remainder of the scene.

I suggest you have another look. :cool4:

I thought Kit Harington in his one little scene did much better than in previous seasons. I take my own criticism of the show and its dialogue with buckets of salt because of my tendency to compare it across mediums and finding the show to be much inferior. Of course a lot of the subtlety from book to show is going to be lost but sometimes I do fill in a lot of the gaps in the show with what I know from the books. Makes it seem much richer that way even though in reality it might not be to someone who hasn't read them.

I don't fucking know haha

You raise several very good points, and I agree with your take. But you really undercut yourself when you conclude with "I don't fucking know." Be a bit more confident, if you say you have no clue, no one will bother taking what you have to contribute seriously. And thats a shame because you seem to have a good perspective.

Ok whoa...some jerk spoiled

TYWIN AND SHAE?

for you? I would kick him right in the berries. I have unsullied fans all around me giving me theories about whats gonna happen now and i wouldnt dare spoil that for them. I havent hinted at it.

If he'd been in front of me, and not some anonymous internet DB, I very well may have. My problem is that I read very fast but my mind is rather slow, so by the time I realized I shouldn't be reading it I was already done (not unlike Jaime Lannister at the Whispering Wood).

I suppose the good thing was that the RW was easier to digest knowing the PW was coming. And knowing about Tywin kind of stunk, but I didn't know all the details and the way in which everything goes down with Tyrion still made that whole sequence an enjoyable read.

I slightly disagree. When I was watching the RW last year (and I don't even like Cat while being totally indifferent towards Robb) as a sullied book reader, I ended up standing with my hands over my mouth, saying "no, no, no". With PW I was totally unmoved. It dragged on and on. It didn't look like a royal wedding. And when it all happened, it was a total anti-climax for me.

I think this is what it boils down to. The analysis and debate is fun, but at the end of the day many of us simply had no emotional response as a result of watching the PW.

Throughout much of Season 3 I was underwhelmed with the majority of each episode but the 'WTF moments' at the end were still impactful. I knew what was coming with Jaime's hand and I still squeezed the remote so hard the battery cover popped off. The entire RW was absolutely gripping, and the end had me clutching my own chest and covering my neck with my shirt.

I really enjoyed watching Joffrey as he died (which is very, very strange for me - I'm really uncomfortable with even fictional violence and death), but the whole thing just felt very anti-climactic (sorry for stealing your word, Lannister, but it's perfect).

Comparing the emotional impact of the RW to that of the PW is illogical. When I read the RW I honestly got so pissed off the next few chapters I read nothing was absorbed. I wanted to rip apart the book. When I read the PW I was pleased, not awestruck and certainly not even remotely close to as emotionally impacted. It's unfair to compare them and try to draw any meaningful analysis of the quality of directing/acting/storytelling/writing.

Comparing the emotional impact of the RW to that of the PW is illogical. When I read the RW I honestly got so pissed off the next few chapters I read nothing was absorbed. I wanted to rip apart the book. When I read the PW I was pleased, not awestruck and certainly not even remotely close to as emotionally impacted. It's unfair to compare them and try to draw any meaningful analysis of the quality of directing/acting/storytelling/writing.

Comparing the emotions that you felt afterward is illogical, I agree. Comparing the level of emotional buildup during each event, or comparing whether there was even any emotional impact at all, is anything but illogical, IMO.

edit: If you were honestly indifferent to the PW in the books, then yes, the comparison is pointless.

Comparing the emotions that you felt afterward is illogical, I agree. Comparing the level of emotional buildup during each event, or comparing whether there was even any emotional impact at all, is anything but illogical, IMO.

The emotional buildup during the RW and the PW aren't comparable at all. I can't speak to watching them without having read first, but one of them leads to the betrayals and deaths of 2 relatively beloved main characters, several beloved minor characters, a massacre of hundreds of unarmed men, and an end to what was popularly viewed to be the "Just" cause. The other leads to a widely hated character being poisoned.

The PW wasn't written as emotionally intense. I remember reading the RW and the whole time my heart was thumping because everything seemed wrong. GRRM couldn't even write the RW until the rest of the book was done because of its emotional impact.

Maybe I'm offbase but I thought I heard D&W say that this season had three "episode 9" moments. I was coming into this season anticipating PW to be one of those moments and if it was, then they failed IMO.

Maybe I'm offbase but I thought I heard D&W say that this season had three "episode 9" moments. I was coming into this season anticipating PW to be one of those moments and if it was, then they failed IMO.

From the stuff we know for sure, we still have:

Oberyn vs. Mountain

Tyrion vs. Tywin and Shae

Littlefinger vs. Lysa

Massive Castle Black battle

Also I would say that Joffrey dying is an episode 9 moment for sure, since it's a pretty huge detail, but whether you think it was episode 9 quality is a different discussion entirely. Also D&D didn't write Joffrey dying, GRRM did, so if you don't think that's as impactful as the BeNeding, Blackwater, or RW, then you're probably right because it really isn't.

This whole thread is so odd, I guess it just corralled all the tin ears on this forum.

As noted at the beginning of the thread the majority of the TV critics of the show have praised it for the sharp dialog (and no I don't think they have tin ears!)

Charles Dance and Dianna Rigg , both veteran Shakespearian actors, took to their characters because of the writing, that means the dialog too... I am not going against the judgment of experienced actors.

Yeah i agree with you, mate. Im not gonna argue with Charles fucking Dance. :P

but the whole thing just felt very anti-climactic

To me, it was a wee bit like that in the book. Its because it sorta comes out of nowhere but its a zinger that gets you later on. When you start thinking about the who and the why, etc. Then it swings back to awesome. I think its supposed to be a little anti-climactic but get your brain buzzing when you think about it. The show captured this well. Unsullied are still talking about the details so i would say its successful.

I really enjoyed watching Joffrey as he died (which is very, very strange for me - I'm really uncomfortable with even fictional violence and death), but the whole thing just felt very anti-climactic (sorry for stealing your word, Lannister, but it's perfect).

Steal away. We, Lannisters, have our way with words and don't feel besmirched if someone uses them. :-)

What are the members of the cast supposed to say? "The dialogue sucks, but they pay me a lot, so I don't mind." Come on.

Isn't that essence of what Harrison Ford said to George Lucas about Star Wars. That didn't seem to matter, I hear it was well received!

Archived