Bronn and Jaime [Book Spoilers]

I find their new "partnership" interesting and perhaps a welcome deviation from the books if it continues. I would assume that Bronn will continue to ride with Jaime and effectively replace the partnership of Ilyn Payne. While there were some nice comedy moments between Jaime and Ilyn, I think Bronn will fill that void nicely with his one-liners. After all, he's a fan (and personal) favorite and he's not going to be of much use at Stokeworth for the TV adaptation.

If so, I am interested to see how their story and dynamic plays out, for better or worse.

Honestly, so happy about this. Bronn is probably my favorite character in both works, with both Jaime and Tyrion being right up there. So Bronn working his way back in to a prominent story-line, as he is about to traipse his way out of another one, great. The fact that it's Jaime that he's going to be trading barbed banter and sword blows with, a HUGE plus, in my book.

I love the choreography, attitude, and direction of their sparring session. It really did remind me so much of playing one-on-one basketball or sparring in Kung-Fu, playing against (or being) that person who kept up their practice while you sat on your laurels, showing you exactly what your current limitations are, and making you push yourself again. The cocky, shit-eating/shit-talking grin, coupled with that "check-yourself" rough-housing... nostalgia. Would love to see more than a minute of it.

And of course, Bronn spews out about 3 or 4 classic quotables. I loved Jaime's "come on then."

Looks like it's going to pan out well.

It's funny though - I guess Martin was exaggerating after all when he said low-born would never speak rudely to high-born like that! Turns out he can write those kind of scenes after all.

I always thought the reason for using Ilyn Payne was somewhat flawed. He comes from a noble family and would have received an education from a Maester, so he could conceivably read and write couldn't he?

I think it said somewhere that he couldn't. I'm nowhere near the books so I can't check it though.

As much as I think Bronn and Jaime will be entertaining to watch, I always liked that Ilyn Payne was mute, his silence drew things out of Jaime that he would never have said, and allowed him to drop his guard and become vulnerable, knowing that no one would find out. I don't know if or how they would replicate that relationship with Bronn.

They'll be great together. Both character have that cruel sense of wit and the two actors already look like they'll feed off of each other.

I did really like the Jaime/Ilyn stuff in the books. Ilyn's a character who we're supposed to hate because he carried out the execution on Ned, but we soon see a different side to him and an unexpected friendship between him and Jaime. Despite that, the character is not too well known and it makes sense to use Bronn instead of him, because Bronn would become slightly redundant in S5 despite currently being a main cast member. It's a good deviation because the showrunners are being economical - they don't need to reduce the part of a main actor, but the increased usage will work and make some good TV nevertheless. Good decision from them on this one.

Wilko Johnson, the actor portraying Ilyn Payne, has pancreatic cancer. I'm sure this is the reason behind the change. He is probably in no shape to swing a sword.

Indeed.

Having Bronn take over as Jaime's sparring partner is certainly preferable to finding a new actor to play Payne in my opinion.

Looks like it's going to pan out well.

It's funny though - I guess Martin was exaggerating after all when he said low-born would never speak rudely to high-born like that! Turns out he can write those kind of scenes after all.

Bronn is actually a knight at this point and almost Jaime's equal.

It doesnt make any sense to me that Jamie would practice swordplay with such a loudmouth(especially one of dubious loyalty), but whatever its not a big deal.

But Bronn would be trusted to keep his mouth shut provided he was getting paid. Bronn's not an idiot; he knows that he'd be in trouble if he started talking about a Lannister behind his back, so he'll be sensible enough to keep his mouth shut. Tyrion would have told Jaime this.

Archived