Stannis is not iron.

hollowcrown

It's kind of moot since Renly was much softer than either of his brothers and diamonds are extremely hard ;)

How is Renly soft? We never see anything suggest as much except for the people mocking his homosexuality.

He kept by his word and morals during the whole series, and would have managed to win the war while extremely minimizing losses on his side in a matter of a few moves if not for a magical killer queef.

The High Septon and his "Feed and Protect the smallfolk" campaign might want to disagree with that.

That's a decent point, but I never said he was the only one who did anything for Westeros, and I'll still argue that if the Wildling horde and subsequently the White Walkers had broken through the wall (which was very likely without Stannis) it would have caused more harm than the High Septon is preventing. I just have a hard time liking the High Septon because he's such a hypocritical, religious nutcase but I understand the irony of that sentiment as many people feel the exact same way about Stannis :P

How is Renly soft? We never see anything suggest as much except for the people mocking his homosexuality.

He kept by his word and morals during the whole series, and would have managed to win the war while extremely minimizing losses on his side in a matter of a few moves if not for a magical killer queef.

He's definetely not the hard one out of the 3 brothers.

At this point I am not even sure if you're serious, especially since you gave serious replies.

That's a decent point, but I never said he was the only one who did anything for Westeros, and I'll still argue that if the Wildling horde and subsequently the White Walkers had broken through the wall (which was very likely without Stannis) it would have caused more harm than the High Septon is preventing. I just have a hard time liking the High Septon because he's such a hypocritical, religious nutcase but I understand the irony of that sentiment as many people feel the exact same way about Stannis :P

The difference is, if there's one fanbase who isn't delusional about their favorite character or his role in the books, it's Stannis'.

Stannis is iron when it comes to black and white decisions. For example, once he chose Robert's side in the rebellion he wouldn't have bent to Aerys. When he is the Robert's true heir, he will not bend to bastards or Usurpers, regardless of the odds.

However, if you speak about strategy when fighting battles, receiving advice, he adaptable and pragmatic. Look at Jon Snow's advice to attack Deepwood and Davos' advice to go the Wall.

He's definetely not the hard one out of the 3 brothers.

At this point I am not even sure if you're serious, especially since you gave serious replies.

Oh, I am serious.

We saw Robert rust and subsequently break after his Rebellion, how is he any more solid than the more psychologically sound Renly?

For all we know, he's the one with the healthiest love life, the best relationship with people around him, and the one who never really had any social or mental issues. As a politician, Renly was as solid as solid goes.

Oh, I am serious.

We saw Robert rust and subsequently break after his Rebellion, how is he any more solid than the more psychologically sound Renly?

For all we know, he's the one with the healthiest love life, the best relationship with people around him, and the one who never really had any social or mental issues. As a politician, Renly was as solid as solid goes.

No seriously. Am I having a stroke?

Renly is solid enough, but he's also selfish - he knows full well he has no right to the throne, he just mistakenly thinks the same goes for Stannis (let's not discuss the legality of Stannis again, the point I'm making is about intent and whether you agree or not nobody can argue that Stannis doesn't believe himself legit).

Renly is solid enough, but he's also selfish - he knows full well he has no right to the throne, he just mistakenly thinks the same goes for Stannis (let's not discuss the legality of Stannis again, the point I'm making is about intent and whether you agree or not nobody can argue that Stannis doesn't believe himself legit).

Selfishness and solidity are not mutually exclusive, as you said.

If Robert crowned himself even if it meant bypassing Viserys (who was still in Westeros at the time), why shouldn't Renly do the same? He was the one who would have ended doing all the work, and as far as he knew, he would have made a considerably better king. (Though that matter is up to debate)

As for Stannis believing himself to be the rightful King, I don't think anyone can argue about that.

Selfishness and solidity are not mutually exclusive, as you said.

If Robert crowned himself even if it meant bypassing Viserys (who was still in Westeros at the time), why shouldn't Renly do the same? He was the one who would have ended doing all the work, and as far as he knew, he would have made a considerably better king. (Though that matter is up to debate)

As for Stannis believing himself to be the rightful King, I don't think anyone can argue about that.

Robert and then Stannis have a valid casus belli, a reason for declaring war and taking the crown.

These reasons are the madness of the king, and the illegitimacy of Joffrey.

What does Renly have? Nothing...not reason to be be king apart from his vanity and being manipulated by the Tyrells.

Robert and then Stannis have a valid casus belli, a reason for declaring war and taking the crown.

These reasons are the madness of the king, and the illegitimacy of Joffrey.

What does Renly have? Nothing...not reason to be be king apart from his vanity and being manipulated by the Tyrells.

He wasn't being manipulated by the Tyrells, if them being his most powerful supporter means he is being manipulated by them then that must mean the Florents are manipulating Stannis.

So, you're saying Donal Noye lied to us? Heresy! ;)

Changing your gameplan and being adaptable doesn't really go against the idea of breaking before you'll bend. It's not a question of not deviating from a set path so much as being unable to rethink who you are and what is important. Stannis hasn't reached a crisis point where he has to decide whether or not he can bend in his overall goals. He still plans to be king, he's just going about it a different way. I have a feeling that his crisis point will come and it will have something to do with Shireen. If he has to choose between his daughter's life and being king, we'll find out whether or not he is truly the "brittle iron" Donal said he is.

This. Stannis cannot except giving up. He doesn't change his views once formed. He can't reassess people very well; he was never going to leave Davos to die, just as he never trusted Alester Florent.

He wasn't being manipulated by the Tyrells, if them being his most powerful supporter means he is being manipulated by them then that must mean the Florents are manipulating Stannis.

He arguably was. Tyrells such as Margaery were putting vision of grandeur in Renly's head to add to his already substantial ego.

Archived