How is it possible that Locke is still alive?!

With Jaime in KL, and having spoken to his father I think it likely he told him just whose bannerman chopped off his hand. Tywin obviously still needs Roose to run the north, but he surely would have demanded Locke's head. Tywin never allows a slight towards his family to go unpunished- why would he allow someone to mutilate his favorite son with impunity?!

With Jaime in KL, and having spoken to his father I think it likely he told him just whose bannerman chopped off his hand. Tywin obviously still needs Roose to run the north, but he surely would have demanded Locke's head. Tywin never allows a slight towards his family to go unpunished- why would he allow someone to mutilate his favorite son with impunity?!

It's possible that Tywin doesn't really care who actually swung the blade - he doesn't want third offsider from the left (ie Locke), he wants Bolton to pay. However, now is not the time to call in that debt - as you say, Bolton is useful where he is, doing what he is doing.

Tywin's promise of Winterfell to Roose is obviously BS - as we know, Tywin is looking to put Tyrion and Sansa's child in that seat. And a little Lannister assistance in helping Ned Stark's grandchild take down the traitorous Bolton for his part in the RW won't hurt peace between the North and KL, either.

Tywin is playing the long game, however Roose Bolton is definitely on borrowed time.

It's a puzzle.

I can see why The Brave Companions (never liked name in the books, seeing who they are , it's a goofy name)were cut from the show. Could be 'Vargo Hoat' was one of those names D&D did not like. The BC in the books are kind of lose group of sell swords, neither Tywin nor Roose seemed to like them....and it the books the retaking of Harrenhal by the Gregorr and the killing of Hoat is side story that does not fit in a 10 episode show.

But your right even show wise Tywin is shown to really favor Jamie. Actually the news of Locke's deed would have probably reached Tywin before Jamie got back.

So they restructure Brave Companions into a Bolton what? raiding party , something.

I like Noah Taylor and his understated snaky Locke nut case.

However jez , considering that Roose is now nearly a Lannister vassal , the plot logic would be to either have Locke arrested or executed.

When it came out before the season that Locke was going to the Wall , I thought that was a plot point that Bolton had been given a choice by Tywin to send him there or execute him.(Tho the show's Tywin does not seem one who give Roose that choice, but o well.)

It's a plot logic faux pas. (So far!)

I think Tywin is kind of in Roose's debt in order to have him agree to turn on Robb and help orchestrate the RW. I'm sure he wouldn't be happy about Jaime getting his hand chopped but it may have been forgiven because Tywin needs Roose to get the North back in line for him. As Roose stated, Tywin's not lifting a finger to help him reclaim it from the Ironborn so that could be a form of punishment as well.

Not sure why Tywin would care about exactly what happened to one random soldier with Roose. What's done is done, don't think he's going to dwell on Locke's fate since it's not going to affect him one way or the other.

For the same reason that Littlefinger lived after Tyrion returned to KL knowing full well that it was he who had framed Tyrion for the attack on Bran?

Despite the strong vein of brutality running through Game of Thrones, the spirit of forgiveness is strong.

:p

You know, I had not thought about this! But the OP is right. Tywin of the books AND the series is not a forgiving man when it comes to his family, especially because he values the Lannister name over anything else. To have a lowly lieutenant dare to slice off his son's sword hand is not something he would forgive easily, because what kind of message would it send about the Lannister name? Seeing as Locke cut off Jamie's hand in public, I think Tywin would take some kind of action against Locke and maybe even Roose Bolton.

However, Tywin has a habit of keeping things close to his chest, so maybe he has put things in motion, and we just don't know it yet. He does want Sansa to bear Tyrion's child, and then take claim to Winterfell, and hence is not helping Bolton take control of the North. Maybe that is when he would go Castamere on the Boltons, and all his lieutenants. Unfortunately, we never find out in the books (that I remember), so I doubt the series will address this too.

Im a bit confused as I thought Locke was on Rob Stark's side how come when did he switch sides. On another note I am new this forum where is there a general thread to discuss the latest episode? I am about to watch episode 3 in UK now can't wait to see what happens after Jofrey Baratheon's murder.

It is a logical flaw.

Regardless of how Twin feels about Jaime after their conversation together to him it is all about Lannister pride and power.

He ravaged the riverlands because someone seized a son he despised. What would be do to someone who had mistreated a lannister captive to the extent of cutting off their hand?. Logically part of the price of the alliance between the Boltons and the lannisters would have been Locke's head and the show has messed up.

Archived