R+L=J v.79

Alia of the knife

Hi guys... I'm currently reading the second R+L=J thread (I want to read them all) but I have something to say.

Isn't Ghost an albino direwolf? Don't Targaryens look like albinos (White skin, white/silver/platinum hair, purple eyes)?

Coincidence? I don't think so.

Of course, there are other reasons for Ghost being an albino, but I think this is at least one of them.

Just something I wanted to mention.

Nothing much happening of late, so I'll throw in a little musing.

Generally, it is expected that HR will play some role in revealing R+L. I am wondering, though, if he would necessarily know about Jon being legitimate. He wasn't in the room when Ned and Lyanna were talking, so unless Ned told him or he figured out of what the KG had said, he may be in the dark. The same applies for Wylla - while she almost certainly knows of Jon's parentage, she need not necessarily know about the marriage.

So, I was thinking: what if the secret indeed died with Ned, but GRRM might still pull some ace out of his sleeve to get a dead character talking?

One option might be through Bran remembering the details of the dream about Ned in the crypts - so far, he recalls only that it concerned Jon, that it made Ned sad, and that the dream was disturbing. Another option may also feature Bran, and Ned's bones. We have been told multiple times that bones remember, and so do weirwoods. In ADWD, we see the greenseer skeletons encased in weirwood roots and learn that after their death, their essence goes into the weirnet. Now, Ned's bones are, hopefully, safely stashed with Howland, and I wonder very much if some kind of crannogmen magic might access the memories, or whether attaching the bones to the weirnet might work.

/well, yeah, crackpotting for lack of anything better to do, so bear with me :)/

I am almost certain it will be Bran that will figure things out.

Hi guys... I'm currently reading the second R+L=J thread (I want to read them all) but I have something to say.

Isn't Ghost an albino direwolf? Don't Targaryens look like albinos (White skin, white/silver/platinum hair, purple eyes)?

Of course, there are other reasons for Ghost being an albino, but I think this is at least one of them.

Albino's have red eyes, not purple. And Targaryens have a pale skin, but it can darken in the sun (look at Dany or Aegon V). Albino's can't tan in the sun, IIRC.

There has been one albino Targaryen, Brynden Rivers, also known as Bloodraven. And he currently resides beyond the Wall, in a cave, as the last greenseer.

Because his father was a Targaryen, and he was a trueborn son. Partlineal rules requires him to take his father's name. He was raised a Snow and called a Snow by Eddard. That still doesn't change his true identity.

I agree with you, but there is one thing; Jon was raised in Northern culture, so he is the ice dragon to the Targaryens' fire.

Hello, y'all.

I am sorry for the noob/newbie question, but I just need to know: Ned's dead, so how can we confirm the R+L=J theory? Using Bran new habilities or...?

Thank you in advance!

Howland Reed or the wetnurse Wylla are viable options to the revelation as well.

Albino's have red eyes, not purple. And Targaryens have a pale skin, but it can darken in the sun (look at Dany or Aegon V). Albino's can't tan in the sun, IIRC.

There has been one albino Targaryen, Brynden Rivers, also known as Bloodraven. And he currently resides beyond the Wall, in a cave, as the last greenseer.

actually, many human albinos do have purple eyes. The stereotypical red-eyed albino is rather the exception really. For some stunning photographs of albinos, click here.

actually, many human albinos do have purple eyes. The stereotypical red-eyed albino is rather the exception really. For some stunning photographs of albinos, click here.

Ok, I didn't know that. Site won't open on my phone, so I'll check out the pictures tomorrow. But I thought it was the lack of pigment that made the eye colour red (as in blood vessels behind the eye). Where does the purple come from then?

I know Targaryens aren't albinos. I was just saying that they LOOK LIKE albinos. Some albinos can have purple eyes.

Well, actually the description of Targaryens by GRRM pretty much coincides with what albinoids look like - very light silverish blond hair and purple eyes.

IKR. The problem is that IIRC Dany gets tanned in the Dothraki Sea. Albinos can't get tanned. But if it wasn't this, I would think that Targaryens are albinos and the reason they inbred is that albinism is caused by recessive genes and if they outbred it would be very unlikely to the child to be albino.

My opinion is that Ghost being albino wolf, who btw don't exist in nature, is a Targ reference. If the Ghost represents something unnatural, something more to the wolf, more than a wolf, with such clear association to Bloodraven, then it is safe to assume that Ghost's appearance is homage to Jon's Targaryen roots. So, I believe that Ghost is deliberately created in such manner by the author to emphasize the difference between him and the rest of the pack.

My opinion is that Ghost being albino wolf, who btw don't exist in nature, is a Targ reference. If the Ghost represents something unnatural, something more to the wolf, more than a wolf, with such clear association to Bloodraven, then it is safe to assume that Ghost's appearance is homage to Jon's Targaryen roots. So, I believe that Ghost is deliberately created in such manner by the author to emphasize the difference between him and the rest of the pack.

I definitely buy this. Plus the connection to the old gods that he sees in SoS, playing up both sides of his heritage.

Archived