The (attempted) murder of Jon was legally justifiable.

Bedwyck

Under the code of the Night's Watch, he broke his oath in a very serious way, and he was going to continue doing so. Not only did he deceptively free Mance Rayder, he now has put the entire Night's Watch at risk by bringing the wrath of the Warden of the North down upon them.

I really like Jon Snow. I think his actions are some of the most admirable of any character in aDwD, but Bowen Marsh acted well within the law.

Under the code of the Night's Watch, he broke his oath in a very serious way, and he was going to continue doing so. Not only did he deceptively free Mance Rayder, he now has put the entire Night's Watch at risk by bringing the wrath of the Warden of the North down upon them.

I really like Jon Snow. I think his actions are some of the most admirable of any character in aDwD, but Bowen Marsh acted well within the law.

I totally agree with the sentiment dude.

This is going to be a very long thread I'm thinking, because the issues aren't entirely clear cut. To help kick it off however, I think one could argue that Jon was responding to an immediate threat to the Night's Watch. In order to protect the realms of men he needs to protect the Night's Watch.

Jon legitimated his march on south by the fact the boltons are a threat to the human realms by overthrowing the established order and bringing turmoil and civil war.

Second point, he intended to attack the evil bastard with the wildlings only. If he asked the nw, they would probably follow him by a fair majority. Except some builders loyal to Marsh, Jon seems widely popular amongst the black brother.

Ramsay intended to attack the watch anyway, as he wrote.

And, in his speech, Jon called him a creature or monster, dont remember the exact term. Legally, Ramsay being worst than the others, its justify Jon's decision to exterminate him. OK, its thin as a legal argument, but the way most wildling warlords were eager to fight Ramsay, shows that even for them, he's despicable.

This is going to be a very long thread I'm thinking, because the issues aren't entirely clear cut. To help kick it off however, I think one could argue that Jon was responding to an immediate threat to the Night's Watch. In order to protect the realms of men he needs to protect the Night's Watch.

Wait. First Jon provoked Ramsay with his actions.

But why was Ramsay threatening the Night's Watch? Because he was provoked by Jon.

Remember, Jon DID NOT send Mance south of the Wall. It was Mel who did that. In fact, Ramsay asked for Val, the babies, Shireen, Selyse...they all were his guests. It's like what he did with those Karstarks guys who threatened Alys; as she was his guest, he had the right to put them in jail.

Jon had also the legal justification to defend himself from Ramsay.

Possibly. Also important to note that Jon was threatened by a clearly insane Ramsay Snow with a well-earned reputation for being such, demanding hostages that Jon Snow did not have and could never produce.

Remember, Jon DID NOT send Mance south of the Wall. It was Mel who did that. In fact, Ramsay asked for Val, the babies, Shireen, Selyse...they all were his guests. It's like what he did with those Karstarks guys who threatened Alys; as she was his guest, he had the right to put them in jail.

Jon had also the legal justification to defend himself from Ramsay.

Ramsay directly threatens Jon and the NW in his letter with extermination. Jon had every right to have a preemptive march to get into a better position to defend themselves. Bowen was panicking, and he did something rash and stupid. He was unjustified in what he did, and will face the proper consequences.

I don't rememeber, how so?

Jon is in his eyes an ally of Stannis, who is in his eyes a false king. Ramsay just enforces the law if he trys to kill Jon. Roose, as the Warden of the North has to retain peace in the North. For him, the NW are a bunch of rebels, allying with Wildlings and a false king, which threatens not only the North but the whole Seven Kingdoms.

Jon broke so many rules that I stopped counting....

I am not a Westerosi lawyer and I don't want to justify this stabbing, but I guess he had it coming.

I am surprised he got that far without any serious consequences...

He did not break a single rule.

Bowen Marsh is a hero.

Honestly, I would argue that what he did was for the betterment of the Watch as a whole since it will help mend their relationship with the Bolton's (who really appear to be the likely victors of the Battle of Winterfell from the NW perspective), but I cant get over the fact that now there really is no one who will be able to mediate the tension between the Wildlings south of the wall and the NW. Jon was the only person keeping that uneasy relationship in tact. Now without Jon, who's going to keep the NW and the Wildlings from being at each others' throats? Who knows how that will turn out if Jon were to not come back.

Archived