[Book Spoilers] EP403 Discussion

Ran

I want a scene of Oberyn next to Sansa.

I kept waiting for Loras to show up in that orgy. Waited in vain.

However, the most important development of this episode is, obviously, that DOLOROUS EDD LIVES. Edd is back and D&D avoid making a grievous continuity error in their adaptation. Whew.

Kit is stepping up big time so far this season. Easily the most improved thus far, or maybe it's just that the script is getting better. I'm kinda digging Thorne and Snow skirting close to actually seeing Eye To Eye. Next Week Preview seems to suggest this will be undone soon enough, however.

Davos getting the Iron Bank idea was a bit too much "Eureka!" for me, but Liam Cunningham is such a good Davos that I'll look the other way. Also, there is no such thing as Too Much Shireen.

Daario? Whatever. Daario's Naked Lady Daggers? HELL YES BEST PROP EVER (at least until Mace's special chair shows up next year). That's how you squash a jabronie. Also, Emilia Clarke is at her best when she's yelling at people in a fake language.

Tywin almost looked like a normal loving human grandfather there for a minute or two. And I love the touch of Jaime asking "how are you?" seeing Tommen as a person and not just as the next king. Maybe even as a son...? We'll see.

Guess Sansa won't have Chekov's accessory this go-around. Littlefinger's accent is weird almost to the point of distracting me. However, we got the "a bag of gold buys silence for a while, a crossbow bolt buys it forever" line, and while it's not a direct translation from the book, at least it's there. And LF is bringin' the creepin' on Sansa, as he should.

More thoughts to follow as they leak back to me.

This was actually my favorite episode of the season, mostly on the strength of the Sept scene. There was some great stuff going on there, all around. Lena played the shit out of that scene.

True to the books, Dany's head is now so full of fire, blood, and ego, her bravado is becoming a cliche. I do get a hardon whenever she speaks in High Valyrian, though.

"becoming" It's been cliche since season 2.

Loved the ending. From the wildling raid to the assault on Merreen. But was sooooo hoping they were gonna throw Belwas in there. Very disappointed they didn't. Would of been an awesome cameo

They're not even putting Ser Kevan there, why would they put Strong Belwas?

I kept waiting for Loras to show up in that orgy. Waited in vain.

However, the most important development of this episode is, obviously, that DOLOROUS EDD LIVES. Edd is back and D&D avoid making a grievous continuity error in their adaptation. Whew.

Kit is stepping up big time so far this season. Easily the most improved thus far, or maybe it's just that the script is getting better. I'm kinda digging Thorne and Snow skirting close to actually seeing Eye To Eye. Next Week Preview seems to suggest this will be undone soon enough, however.

Davos getting the Iron Bank idea was a bit too much "Eureka!" for me, but Liam Cunningham is such a good Davos that I'll look the other way. Also, there is no such thing as Too Much Shireen.

Daario? Whatever. Daario's Naked Lady Daggers? HELL YES BEST PROP EVER (at least until Mace's special chair shows up next year). That's how you squash a jabronie. Also, Emilia Clarke is at her best when she's yelling at people in a fake language.

Tywin almost looked like a normal loving human grandfather there for a minute or two. And I love the touch of Jaime asking "how are you?" seeing Tommen as a person and not just as the next king. Maybe even as a son...? We'll see.

Guess Sansa won't have Chekov's accessory this go-around. Littlefinger's accent is weird almost to the point of distracting me. However, we got the "a bag of gold buys silence for a while, a crossbow bolt buys it forever" line, and while it's not a direct translation from the book, at least it's there. And LF is bringin' the creepin' on Sansa, as he should.

More thoughts to follow as they leak back to me.

I approve this message 100%

Also Shireen is my new favorite show character.

LOL, Shireen is going to end up winning Stannis' war and not Melissandre :lol:

i have to say this episode is making me think shireen might really have a chance at winning this thing! so many changes to a book character are met with moaning and groaning but making shireen more of a round, dynamic character is a great improvement, imho.

After that, I'm finding myself warming up to this new Daario. He's still no Strong Belwas, but he might do after all.

yes, he might be alright. to be fair, if he'd been cast in the first place, i think i'd like him better. it's just that the first daario really looked the part so much. this one seems to act the part. i'll get used to him, i'm sure.

I love the scenes where Dany speaking High Valyrian, so very good.

totally love it when she talks high valyrian! i also liked the symbolism of the broken collars. nice.

Sequence-by-sequence review:

Sansa's escape: My God was that woefully handled. One of the worst-staged moments on the show since Arya ran out of the Brotherhood's cave and tripped over the Hound like three seconds later. Sansa's barely out of the courtyard, in broad daylight, when Cersei starts screaming and Tywin starts barking orders, with no real chaos or anything in the crowd, and yet they somehow just run out of what should be a highly secured area down to the waterfront and get in a boat, then smash-cut to them at night. Yeesh. Sansa's been trapped in that city for 2+ seasons, and that's the best they could come up with for her departure?

Sansa/Littlefinger scene: Decent. Gillen's ever-changing accent still bugs me, but for what it was (and given the constraints the show has already imposed, like Dontos being a total non-entity), it was okay.

Dragonstone: TV Shireen and Davos continue to be delightful. I guess Stannis was implying he would kill Davos if Davos didn't shape up, which is...about par for the course on this show, I guess.

Arya/Hound: I liked the peasant guy's character, and the loyalty shown there to House Tully, which has really gotten short-shrift in the TV show. As the Hound robbing those people, I do hope this isn't supposed to be a "harsh lesson" in that what the Hound says is supposed to be true, because that's absurd, as Arya correctly stated. I suppose the stealing here is reasonably consistent with the Hound's behaviour last year.

Tywin/Tommen: Nicely done, though I'm sure the GoT Wiki writers will be frustrated as all get out over that new Targaryen king they created.

Jaime/Cersei: Terrible adaptation choice.

Tywin/Oberyn: I liked this quite well, though I'm not clear, if Tywin has explicitly promised vengeance against Clegane here, he's going to renege on that in order to force Oberyn to seek justice via championing Tyrion.

The Wall: Turning all the Wildlings into coldblooded peasant-killers is going to pretty much kill any sympathy for them, though I suppose, again, that was already true based on last season. I liked Sam's interactions with Gilly.

Dany: Decently handled, though trying to figure out the acoustics of that moment just distracted me through the whole thing.

Edited by Colonel Green

Guess Sansa won't have Chekov's accessory this go-around.

he left it on the railing, didn't he? sansa probably still has it, right? i mean, isn't that the "tool" everyone is speculating sansa will use to do him in?

And LF is bringin' the creepin' on Sansa, as he should.

yes, it's really heavy handed. not liking that as much.