[Book Spoilers] EP403 Discussion

Ran

Something doese not feel right, if Tywin promised red vipe the let him "have a conversation" with Mountain, then why would red vipe want to be Tyrion's champion? He did this in the novel exactly because Tywin refuse to sacrifice Mountain

Either Tywin goes back on his word (which would be kind of ridiculous considering that he just made the offer like two days earlier), or they're going to have Oberyn become champion because he's convinced by Saint Tyrion's goodness and innocence.

I assumed this "King Orys" was a King of one of the Seven Kingdoms pre-conquest. The story certainly doesn't match any Targ King.

I suppose that's possible, except I got the impression Orys was a Valyrian name, which is why Aegon's half brother had it and it has that "ys" ending (like Rhaenys, Viserys, Daenerys, etc. ad nauseum.) Unless Orys Baratheon was named by his mother and she was a Westerosi...ugh.

I don't know why D&D would need to add more lore. Isn't there already enough in the books for them to work with? *Headdesk*

The opening scene was pretty bad too. Like instantly everyone knows Sansa has run off. Completely implausible that Cersei and Tywin would be aware of that so soon. And the fact of their knowing makes it implausible that Sansa would successfully get away.

totally agree. to be honest, cersei's reaction to all of this has seemed to be too quick to me, starting with last week when she began accusing tyrion before one full minute had passed after joff's death.

"Some think the sky is blue because we live inside the eye of a blue-eyed giant..."

Named Macomber? :)

I did find it odd that S4 Tywin suddenly believes in the rumours of Dany and her three dragons when he was so damned certain before that it was all malarkey....

He doesn't, necessarily. He's just throwing it out there because he thinks it might help sway Oberyn.

Also if I recall the Tywin/Joffrey convo last season it's less that Tywin thought it was complete bullshit and more that she was too far away to matter. So if he, in his mind, overstates the "clear and present" aspect of Dany's danger and makes it more persuasive, then it serves its purpose.

"Some think the sky is blue because we live inside the eye of a blue-eyed giant..."

Named Macomber? :)

I did find it odd that S4 Tywin suddenly believes in the rumours of Dany and her three dragons when he was so damned certain before that it was all malarkey....

Don't know if he believes in it, just saying that because he thinks it's will have more impact on Oberyn accepting his proposal.

Also thought that scene was sweet since Oberyn should know about Doran's plan. Now he will be on the inside and gets the chance to "meet" the Mountain! 2 for 1's!!

That stannis scene was shit why is he threatening davos at times like this I wish they could keep him offscreen till he saves the watch instead of adding this bs filler.

completely agree with this! that relationship seems to be deteriorating fast.

Wasnt there an Orys Baratheon? Maybe he was referencing a Storm King?

Orys Baratheon was the King's Hand for Aegon the Conqueror, and rumored to be a bastard Targaryen. He founded the Baratheon line, but never sat the Iron Throne (in the books, anyway!)

Edited by Rill Redthorn

Orys Baratheon was the King's Hand for Aegon the Conqueror, and rumored to be a bastard Targaryen. He founded the Baratheon line, but never sat the Iron Throne (in the books, anyway!)

Yeah, just went and read his wiki entry. Think I had his name in my head from reading the sample chapter of World of Ice and Fire. Guess it was just the show inventing a character. Silly since there are so many Targ kings they couldve used.

In the Tyrion whitewashing department...

1. TV Tyrion demands Pod flee for his own safety, while Book Tyrion does no such thing (even though it would have been equally prudent advice).

2. TV Tyrion refuses to believe that Sansa had anything to do with Joffrey's death, while Book Tyrion strongly suspects she was in on it, even if he knows she could not have done it alone. (I suppose TV Tyrion could change his mind over the course of the season, but still.)

Maaaaaan, it's going to be one hell of a turn for the character when he murders Tywin and Shae. Yikes. The viewers will all have whiplash.

sansa stark is turning into a fine young woman

I totally read that in Aidan Gillen's weird Littlefinger voice. :D

Edited by Newstar