[Book Spoilers] EP403 Discussion

Ran

Well, that was quite an episode. I'd say it's the worst out of three, though It definitely had its moments. Episode 1 and 2 had a lot going on.

The Good:

- Although weirdly placed considering how it happened, I enjoyed Sansa's escape from King's Landing. Mostly because I adore everything Sansa and Sophie is such an amazing actress. LF's dialogue was right on point, and Sansa's reaction made complete sense. The show has usually cringe-worthy lines, so I'll give them that.

- Daenerys scene at Meeren made, in my humble opinion, for the best scene of the episode. It seemed to work, when many of the previous scenes seemed to be rushed/awkward. Daario really stepped up his game (Though It would be great if it were Barristan) and the character is growing on me far more than Book!Daario. The trebuchets with broken chains were a nice touch, and it gave an amazing ending to the episode. Emilia's performance seems to work better in these kind of scenes, in general. And how great was it to see Hidzhar intrigued at the Silver Queen? Besides Missandei behaving "comedy-romantic" like, great scene.

- Tywin/Tommen was interesting, if brief. Same with Margaery/Olenna, and in retrospect, both were "lecturing" their grandchildren, so it makes a nice parallel. Who the hell is Orys I? Oberyn/Tywin, interesting as a scene, but more on that latter.

- Shireen. She's such an adorable girl, who wouldn't want to spend time with her? Although a scene lacking passion, it was more than likeable. Davos was great on it as well.

- Although not that great, Arya and Hound. Unnecessary, though I enjoyed the nods to the Seven, Hoster Tully and The Freys/Red Wedding. Not entirely sure what was Sandor's point in this episode.

- Jon small scene. Not that bad. Surprised that Kit didn't suck as much as he's used to..

The Bad:

- Oberyn's purpose as the nudity quota of the show, entirely. I've also wondered, have Pedro Pascal and Indira Varma agreed not to appear naked? I've noticed they're always fully clothed on their scenes on the brothel, which makes them even more weirder. Also, what was the point of the whores in the background despite the man-whore? I'll take anyone's bet about Oberyn sleeping with Loras until the end of the season. Oberyn/Tywin's scene was great, but it seemed odd to go with this first part.

- Sam the Boring. I just don't like this show!development. Everytime his scenes are on I wish I could skip them.

- St. Tyrion. I wonder how anyone even thinks he killed Joffrey, he's so good. Tyrion's deep connection with Pod, amongst others, are a reason for why I just can't wrap my head about him killing Shae this season. I hope he does.

- Jaime/Cersei. No remaining arguments.

- Oh, look. It's the Wildling butchery. They could be worse than the White Walkers,at this speed.

- Am I supposed to like Show!Stannis? Doesn't seem like it. Also, Aidan Gillen doesn't even seem to try with LF anymore.

General: 8/10. Good Episode. If I was a show!viewer only, I'd probably only enjoy Dany's scene. Lacked momentum.

Edited by Alayne's Shadow.

- Oberyn's purpose as the nudity quota of the show, entirely. I've also wondered, have Pedro Pascal and Indira Varma agreed not to appear naked? I've noticed they're always fully clothed on their scenes on the brothel, which makes them even more weirder. Also, what was the point of the whores in the background despite the man-whore?

I actually liked this scene a bit better, because Ellaria kept her clothes on just as Oberyn did, while the male prostitute got naked just as the female prostitutes did. Equal-opportunity nudity (or lack thereof, as with Ellaria and Oberyn).

I'm kind of disappointed that Oberyn never kissed Olyvar. Step up, man!

- Tywin/Tommen was interesting, if brief. Same with Margaery/Olenna, and in retrospect, both wwere "lecturing" their grandchildren, so it makes a nice parallel.

They were both grooming their grandchildren to marry each other. Olenna telling Margaery "The next one will be easier" and Tywin giving Tommen the Talk.

Edited by Newstar

Am I the only one that thinks Tyrion is going to be whitewashed

I think that ship has sailed.

...although I do think the writers will "course-correct" around the end of the season with Tyrion's character. There were complaints about Arya and Tywin being whitewashed in Season 2, and the writers have course-corrected since. I'm not too, too concerned at this point, although I'll be the first to raise hell if Tyrion doesn't kill Tywin and Shae as he did in the books.

Edited by Newstar

Could someone set up a promo thread on the Oathkeeper page? The preview is out and I'd much rather discuss it than skirting over outrage central here...

(I don't know how to do such things, before someone says "why don't you".)

Edited by Konradsmith

I actually liked this scene a bit better, because Ellaria kept her clothes on just as Oberyn did, while the male prostitute got naked just as the female prostitutes did. Equal-opportunity nudity (or lack thereof, as with Ellaria and Oberyn).

I'm kind of disappointed that Oberyn never kissed Olyvar. Step up, man!

They were both grooming their grandchildren to marry each other. Olenna telling Margaery "The next one will be easier" and Tywin giving Tommen the Talk.

I do agree with you. It just seemed weird that both would be fully clothed whilst their partners were completely naked. I completely agree that Equal-opportunity is better than the usual "woman naked" take. If Ellaria was to be with no clothes, so should Oberyn.

I've actually noticed that as well! And that's the second time it happens. Makes me wonder...

On that regard, maybe a second Royal marriage this year?

Edited by Alayne's Shadow.

I think that ship has sailed.

...although I do think the writers will "course-correct" around the end of the season with Tyrion's character. There were complaints about Arya and Tywin being whitewashed in Season 2, and the writers have course-corrected since. I'm not too, too concerned at this point, although I'll be the first to raise hell if Tyrion doesn't kill Tywin and Shae as he did in the books.

I hope so, I have a feeling he wont kill shae, I have a feeling they will make him kill Tywin to avenge Shae's death (probably killed by Tywin/Cersei)

+1, John is going to look like an idiot for letting cannibals south of The Wall.

Im thinking Styr gets murdered to be honest...

I hope so, I have a feeling he wont kill shae, I have a feeling they will make him kill Tywin to avenge Shae's death (probably killed by Tywin/Cersei)

*sigh*

Oberyn and Ellaria are bisexual? Did anyone know that?

Yep.

Its I likely scenario though to keep Tyrion as honourable as Ned Stark :bang:

Which is unlikely to happen. I find the arguments about Shae not dying by Tyrion's hands to be pointless and irritating. Having to see/listen to years of that horse shit repeatedly and the people making these comments think they are being witty, yeah it makes a person want to punch someone in the crotch. Tyrion gave Shae the chains. Hes gonna kill her.

Which is unlikely to happen. I find the arguments about Shae not dying by Tyrion's hands to be pointless and irritating. Having to see/listen to years of that horse shit repeatedly and the people making these comments think they are being witty, yeah it makes a person want to punch someone in the crotch. Tyrion gave Shae the chains. Hes gonna kill her.

But based on Sibel Kekilli's interview that sounds like Shae is going to be portrayed as a revenge-seeking psycho, I'd say it's more a question of the show wanting us to root for him there.