[Book Spoilers] EP403 Discussion

Ran

I just can't believe that they thought that a completely unnecessary, gratuitous rape scene would add anything worth its while. I just watched the behind the scene video and one of D&D was saying how this scene was deeply uncomfortable to shoot. Well, no shit. Rape is such an ugly thing, always, and I won't be sad if it hurts the ratings.

are you kdding me? Have you not watched the last three seasons? how about when the baby got slaughtered? I mean come people are so overeacting its not even funny. It was consensual in end anyways.

I wanted to see black-red brick hair sculpted into shapes because I had no freaking idea what that was supposed to look like and could never picture it in my head.

I didn't like the Sam and Gilly to moletown, doesn't make sense and took up too much time that could have been used on someone else.

When I read the books I didn't read the Jaime/Cersei scene as rape, this was like a rape. Just felt wrong from where Jaime's character is right now.

Liked Edd and Grenn showing back up, would rather have seen and heard more from them and less Sam/Gilly.

Liked the barrels of broken chains, very symbolic. Hopefully this season will show more of Dany's failings in Mereen, how her just setting people free has had some really bad consequences.

Pretty much love every scene with the Hound and Arya, doesn't seem to matter what they are doing.

As far as Coldhands is concerned, GRRM stated that he is much much older, when asked about who he is, relating to Benjen. So, the author himself has said Benjen is not Coldhands.

Strong Belwas, eh, no big loss. He was a colorful character but he really only existed to get Barriston to Dany, and since the tv show couldn't hide who he was like the book could, there was no reason for the extra charater. I think I prefer Daario killing the champion anyway, lends more to Dany liking him.

I think I prefer Daario killing the champion anyway, lends more to Dany liking him.

I agree with this - while I recognize that Show-Daario is quite different from the book, and I miss some of the flamboyant silliness, what I do like about him is that I can see Show-Dany liking S3-Show-Daario. I had real trouble imagining Show-Dany liking S2-Show-Daario.

Gilly in Moles town- This seems to point to no Mance's baby. It seems they are trying to set up a reason to send Gilly south. I wonder if this means no Val either?

I'm assuming no Val. Seems a bit late in the game for her to be introduced, and I'm not sure she really serves much function anyway, especially if Baby Mance is cut.

Pretty boring episode. Not gonna complain too much since the first two were great. I feel like Petyr tries too hard to sound different for some reason. I swear he didn't sound like that season 1 and 2. Glad to see the Hound toe the line of paragon and renegade. The Tywin/Oberyn exchange was pretty good. Tywin guiding young Tommen away from Cersei is a nice indicator of future events where he tries to separate the next in line from being manipulated from a psycho woman.

I agree about Aidan's accent. His accent was perfectly fine in season 1, but now it's too overwrought.

I'm not usually one to nitpick either, it's just a little distracting.

I think the "Jaime rapes Cersei" thing totally messed up the end of A Feast For Crows with the "I love you, I love you, I love you" letter from Cersei to Jaime, doesn't it? If she still writes him that letter after being raped, that is F*KKED UP.

Did you forget the circumstances she was in when she wrote that? She would have declared her true love thrice to Tyrion if he she believed he could bust her out of that jail cell.

I don't think Oberyn is "ruined" but HBO is, like always, exploiting a single aspect of his life when he definitely has more that is way more interesting.

He's the Viper for Doran's grass. They haven't even explained WHY is he called like this, except that it's mentioned about poisons.

He loves Elaria and Elaria is not some fun girl he's sexing with.

They have four children, and he's a great parent to his daughters.

Of course, HBO want to overuse the fact that he is supposed to be bisexual, only based on rumours and sayings about him, probably the noble man people speak rumours the most. Because Oberyn's bisexuality is more like only chatter to put him in a bad light.

And of course, Pedro Pascal is great, like Dillane and many others actors in the show, it's not his fault.

Gilly in Moles town- This seems to point to no Mance's baby. It seems they are trying to set up a reason to send Gilly south. I wonder if this means no Val either?

I guess Gilly in Mole Town will allow for some Dramatic Tension later on, when the wildling are approaching Castle Black from the South. Possibly Sam rides south to defend her/rescue her, and fat pink mastage ensues at that point?

It was pretty good. Less so than the two previous ones but those were by and large excellent so that's to be expected. Still, it didn,t seem like the writers are losing steam.

-Let's get the elephant in the room out of the way; I wasn't a fan of the Cercei-Jaime scene, but this wasn't a book deviation. The consensuality of the sex in the novels is not clear cut, at all. Cercei repeatedly says no and voices objections, only for Jaime to ignore her, and then she says it was folly. The show did all that, without the last part. This is NOT DnD changing things around people, sorry. Jaime is not a perfect angel post-maiming and he still semi-raped his sister.

Yeah, I was a little confused about all the outrage around here over that scene.

It's been a while since I read the book, but I don't remember Cersei welcoming Jaime with legs spread wide...

I'm assuming no Val. Seems a bit late in the game for her to be introduced, and I'm not sure she really serves much function anyway, especially if Baby Mance is cut.

Depending on how the battle at the Wall is handled, there is still time to introduce Dalla and Val, if Jon goes to Mance's tent right before the wildlings are attacked. I need to reread this bit of the series, my memory is hazy on the timing of these events.

Yeah, I was a little confused about all the outrage around here over that scene.

It's been a while since I read the book, but I don't remember Cersei welcoming Jaime with legs spread wide...

I reread it last night myself after the episode. Cersei seems to be as eager/desperate as Jaime in the books, but is quick to point out to him afterwards how foolish it was.

I don't think Oberyn is "ruined" but HBO is, like always, exploiting a single aspect of his life when he definitely has more that is way more interesting.

He's the Viper for Doran's grass. They haven't even explained WHY is he called like this, except that it's mentioned about poisons.

He loves Elaria and Elaria is not some fun girl he's sexing with.

They have four children, and he's a great parent to his daughters.

Yeah, info-dumping the Red Viper's biography would make for some really compelling television.

The sand snakettes will probably be cut anyway, so why bother break out the Dornish family album?

For me ...

Loved

1. Arya calling out the Hound

2. Tyrion / Pod interaction

3. Grandpa Tywin going to tell Tommen about the 'birds and the bees'

4. Reappearance of LF

5. Tommen in general. Great choice in my opinion.

6. Shereen and Davos interactions are always great

Hated

1. Cersei / Jamie rape scene

2. Gilly to Mole Town

3. Thenns

4. Daario Naharis. It is taking a long time to get used to the new actor. I really liked the other one.

Meh

1. Dany's scenes. Just like others have said I was wondering how they were able to hear her as well.

2. Wished Sansa's escape had included the cliff.

Edited by Cersei the Great

“Hurry,” she was whispering now, “quickly, quickly, now, do it now, do me now. Jaime Jaime Jaime.” Her hands helped guide him. “Yes,” Cersei said as he thrust, “my brother, sweet brother, yes, like that, yes, I have you, you’re home now, you’re home now, you’re home.” She kissed his ear and stroked his short bristly hair.

Edited by ~DarkHorse~