Why do they treat Jaime that way?

MsLibby

Why is it that all the other Lannisters are portrayed in a more kindly fashion on the show than they are in the books with the exception of Jaime.

Why do this to his character?

Is it because the audience was starting to like him? Or is it that the show runners know the ending and they want his redemption ark to be that much bigger.

I can't figure this out.

Suggestions?

I really hated how they portrayed Jaime in this episode. They made that sept scene suggestive of being something less than consensual.

It was straight-up rape as far as I could tell. Maybe there will be some post-ep interviews that suggest something different, but right now I find it hard to see it as anything else.

I really hated how they portrayed Jaime in this episode. They made that sept scene suggestive of being something less than consensual.

I haven't read aSoS in a while, but didn't Cersei initially try to get Jaimie to stop because she was on her period?

I keep telling myself that the writers and directors know stuff that we don't. That's the only way I hope to explain this to myself.

Of all things that Jaime did in the books, taking a stand against rape was one that impressed me the most.

Yeah, playing the scene out that way was just distasteful. Granted, the book's version wasn't much more pleasant, but for Christ sake.

What other needless deviations need to be made to undo what little good he's achieved in the show so far? Kinslayi- oh, no, wait...

I haven't read aSoS in a while, but didn't Cersei initially try to get Jaimie to stop because she was on her period?

She did try a bit to get him to stop but I never thought the scene was rape. it was forcfull yes, but not rape.

It's like the rape is the worst Jaime has done. Because pushing an innocent kind from a window and fucking his own sister was ok, apparently.

Rape is worse than fucking your sister. The point however is that Jaime was on an upswing he's supposed to be redeeming himself inch by inch. Rape now sets him back again for no reason.

She did try a bit to get him to stop but I never thought the scene was rape. it was forcfull yes, but not rape.

The thing is, although Cersei does say stop a lot in this scene, she was still kissing him back so I don't see a problem with it personally. It just seemed like rough[er] sex like it was in the books...

Director Alex Graves on the scene, via Hitfix:

"Well, it becomes consensual by the end, because anything for them ultimately results in a turn-on, especially a power struggle. Nobody really wanted to talk about what was going on between the two characters, so we had a rehearsal that was a blocking rehearsal. And it was very much about the earlier part with Charles (Dance) and the gentle verbal kidnapping of Cersei's last living son. Nikolaj came in and we just went through one physical progression and digression of what they went through, but also how to do it with only one hand, because it was Nikolaj. By the time you do that and you walk through it, the actors feel comfortable going home to think about it. The only other thing I did was that ordinarily, you rehearse the night before, and I wanted to rehearse that scene four days before, so that we could think about everything. And it worked out really well. That's one of my favorite scenes I've ever done."

It's like the rape is the worst Jaime has done. Because pushing an innocent kind from a window and fucking his own sister was ok, apparently.

Raping your grieving sister is far worse than just fucking her consensually.

Also the attempted murder on Bran can be justified.

Raping Cersei can't

Rape is worse than fucking your sister. The point however is that Jaime was on an upswing he's supposed to be redeeming himself inch by inch. Rape now sets him back again for no reason.

My thoughts too. It's like when they had him murder his cousin in Season 2 when that didn't happen all, though at least that was a means to an end.

Is rape worst than pushing a kid to his death BECAUSE you were fucking your sister?

Really, IN BOOK he fucked his sister NEXT to his dead son's body INSIDE a Sept AFTER he meet Brienne and started his "path to redemption". He was still quite a disgusting man.

I never understood what was the point of the scene in the book either.. Any suggestions?

I didn't believe for a second that Cercei or Jaime would do that - and I was hoping this was another point D&D would deviate from the book. Oh well..

Archived