Why do they treat Jaime that way?

MsLibby

And the fact that the scene ends with him thrusting and repeating "I don't care" is particularly disturbing. If they weren't going for rape, then what in seven hells is wrong with the director?

Right. And I can't wait for the smallfolk to vote for the next king. The liberal media LOVES Tommen but Rush and Fox News are really touting Stannis!

I am a Republican I respect Dany and Stannis. We respect power and strict old laws. . . :| Now Bill Maher is supporting Tommen, Madge Tyrell and Obama is a big Littlefinger fan.

Well, to be utterly honest, I think it's clear quite a bit of the dialogue is ADRed...

So I suppose what we may have is that Headey and Coster-Waldau played it as becoming consensual by the end, but then D&D looked at it and decided they wanted it to be more ambiguous/troubling and so added some stuff.

It's going to be pretty hard for the director/showrunners to rationalize away the non-consensual imagery of her begging him to stop up until the last second of the shot.

I am going to continue watching the show for my friends and our Sunday evening ritual. But the quality of the directing, acting, pretty much everything has been in free fall since the second season began. You can compare the acting of Joffrey/Littlefinger/Tyrion from the first season and directly see how forced it became later on.

The show is bad.

There is a reason it's not winning the major awards. Homeland, Breaking Bad were seen by many as better shows.

I don't know why they made that scene into rape, just as Jaime is slowly redeeming himself...

They butchered Stannis last week, this week Jaime gets the treatment. Tough luck, maybe next week they'll knock Dany down a peg.... Nah, who am I kidding, they're gunna keep building her up as a messiah.

That was definitely rape... He physically forces her, is clearly angry with her instead of loving and, most importanly, she keeps saying 'NO' the entire time. This should not even be worth a discussion.

And to all people saying 'it's Cersei & Jaime so it's fine': What are you talking about? Because she enjoyed consensual sex with him, she must be ok with being forced too? Seriously?

I just watched it again - seemed to me like Cersei was protesting up to the last moment of the shot, saying 'it's not right' and 'no', followed by Jaime's last "I don't care".

Yup, and in between his I don't cares, she kept saying "don't." Very disturbing

There is a reason it's not winning the major awards. Homeland, Breaking Bad were seen by many as better shows.

The drying up of critical awards recalls how HBO originally was going to ax the show after the first pilot they shot. Tim Van Patten of The Sopranos re-directed it but he has not, unsurprisingly, returned to the show since. It solidifies to me that Benioff & Weiss, on their own, are just not very good at this.

I don't know why they made that scene into rape, just as Jaime is slowly redeeming himself...

They butchered Stannis last week, this week Jaime gets the treatment. Tough luck, maybe next week they'll knock Dany down a peg.... Nah, who am I kidding, they're gunna keep building her up as a messiah.

I wonder how things will eventually play out for Dany with what is to come.

Though the one character they will never "knock down a peg" is D and D's Saint Tyrion. They've managed to strip him of every single shade of gray in his very soul.

My review, with some thoughts on the scene.

I have been rewatching that scene quite a bit over the weeks. There's four points I would note:

1) As they're slipping down to their knees, it's fairly clear that she actively kisses him back, grabbing at his face... and then pushing him away. But the camera is playing tricks here: when she's kissing back, it suddenly dips down to sort-of-but-not-really obscure, and next its focused on Jaime's hands...

2) ... but at the same time, it sure _looks_ like her hands are fumbling around his waist area too.

3) The final shot of her hand clenching at the cloth is pretty standard iconography in film and television to indicate passionate lovemaking.

4) Taking it to the books, when Bran witnesses Jaime and Cersei having sex, and then again when Jaime has sex with her on his return from King's Landing, Cersei protests... and then gives in. The main difference in this scene as compared to the novels is that Cersei both appears to give in and at the same time continues protesting. It makes it all more ambiguous, and I think this all ties to the changes they've made to Cersei's character on the show.

She clearly said no repeatedly. Also she basically broke up with him in 3x01. He needs explicit and unambiguous consent, and you shouldn't defend him.

Archived