[Book Spoilers] Gilly in Mole Town

Gilly going to a brothel and being assigned non-whore responsibilities is actually a safer environment than her being the only female in a place with former rapists and thieves who have blue balls. At least in Mole's Town, any guy looking for sex there has plenty of willing options as opposed to trying to hook up with the "waitress at the strip club".

It's kind of a shitty move by Sam but John Bradley did an interview recently where he talked about Sam making decisions early in the season because of his cowardice and insecurities that he later will regret but as the season progresses, he redeems himself and has his most heroic moments. I'm guessing this is the bad decision he's talking about.

But, yes, the Wildlings are coming to raid Mole's Town so she and the baby will be in danger soon enough.

Gilly going to a brothel and being assigned non-whore responsibilities is actually a safer environment than her being the only female in a place with former rapists and thieves who have blue balls.

I'm not so sure about that. She doesn't really have any friends there, [that other woman already seems to hate her] and they already know she's a wildling with a wildling baby. Wildlings are killing villagers left and right at the moment. Common folks would be out for revenge. News will travel fast among the common folk there is a wildling at Mole's Town with a baby. I don't think she is safe at all. At least at Castle Black, she has some friends, and some people in charge who would behead someone who rapes a girl after taking the vows.

I'm not so sure about that. She doesn't really have any friends there, [that other woman already seems to hate her] and they already know she's a wildling with a wildling baby. Wildlings are killing villagers left and right at the moment. Common folks would be out for revenge. News will travel fast among the common folk there is a wildling at Mole's Town with a baby. I don't think she is safe at all. At least at Castle Black, she has some friends, and some people in charge who would behead someone who rapes a girl after taking the vows.

It's about what Sam thinks, not what is the reality of the situation. Obviously Mole's Town is not going to be safe for her but based on the info Sam has, it's what he thinks makes sense. And as Bradley says, it's a bad decision.

Sam is really abdicating his responsibilities here because he doesn't think he has enough willpower or strength to protect her from fellow NW if they come for her. He's making a cowardly move because he still doesn't think he can protect her. Hard lesson for him here as this just ends up putting her in a more vulnerable position.

My impression of taking Gilly to Mole Town was that it was a way to introduce the concept of Mole Town to the show watchers. It makes us more emotionally invested when the Wildling attack does come, and gives a smoother transition to when we see the Mole-town residents help manning the Wall later. And a little about Sam's protectiveness of Gilly, but mostly the other stuff.

Hahah at that scene I thought it was a man talking to her!!! I even hoped it was Satin! Then i realised it was supposed to be a woman, not a man or a transvestite.

My impression of taking Gilly to Mole Town was that it was a way to introduce the concept of Mole Town to the show watchers. It makes us more emotionally invested when the Wildling attack does come, and gives a smoother transition to when we see the Mole-town residents help manning the Wall later. And a little about Sam's protectiveness of Gilly, but mostly the other stuff.

I guess you're right, but I still feel that precious minutes were wasted in Mole Town in this episode. They can explore Sam's feelings at Braavos or in the ship towards Oldtown.

Kind of assuming that's the last we see of Gilly until next season .. but they needed to touch on that plot line because even Unsullied in Youtube videos were asking "what happened to Gilly and her baby?" after s3e10/s4e1 .. now she's stashed away and perhaps Sam goes to pick her up on the way to Oldtown next season... Maester Aemon won't even see her!

In a way Sam's right (albeit for the wrong reasons) in getting her out of there before the wall is attacked, granted if they breached the wall it's not as if she'd be safe for much longer than she would've been otherwise.

Kind of assuming that's the last we see of Gilly until next season .. but they needed to touch on that plot line because even Unsullied in Youtube videos were asking "what happened to Gilly and her baby?" after s3e10/s4e1 .. now she's stashed away and perhaps Sam goes to pick her up on the way to Oldtown next season... Maester Aemon won't even see her!

In a way Sam's right (albeit for the wrong reasons) in getting her out of there before the wall is attacked, granted if they breached the wall it's not as if she'd be safe for much longer than she would've been otherwise.

Mole's Town is getting attacked by Tormund and the gang very soon so it's highly unlikely that's the last we see of Gilly this season.

Hahah at that scene I thought it was a man talking to her!!! I even hoped it was Satin! Then i realised it was supposed to be a woman, not a man or a transvestite.

I totally thought it was Satin too, and for a while I was really excited that they might have found a way to squeeze him in, then with all the "Wildling!" yelling, I realized that they hadn't been that clever, it's just supposed to be a really ugly whore, and I was sad.

Right, the entire baby/switch thing lends a richness to the Stannis/Jon plot. I hope they don't just do away with that.

How can they possibly add the baby switch / Mance Rayder son plot line now? No baby for Mance Rayder has been shown at all and Gilly's been stuffed in Mole Town ... That's going to be really tough to move back around now. AND if they're dropping the baby switch story, why? It was important for Stannis and wanting a king's blood to sacrifice when they got to the wall, right?

How can they possibly add the baby switch / Mance Rayder son plot line now? No baby for Mance Rayder has been shown at all and Gilly's been stuffed in Mole Town ... That's going to be really tough to move back around now. AND if they're dropping the baby switch story, why? It was important for Stannis and wanting a king's blood to sacrifice when they got to the wall, right?

He wanted king's blood, he didn't get it and then....nothing really. Don't see how removing this part makes a big difference. Unless Gilly having a magic baby with her in Oldtown is somehow significant, the baby switch thing is totally unnecessary.

I'm beginning to think they are going to ditch the baby switch subplot.

Sam will probably travel to Oldtown without Gilly. Looks like it's farewell to Gilly after this season.

Maybe he'll go to say goodbye to her before leaving, and that's when Fat Pink Mast takes place.

I'm beginning to think they are going to ditch the baby switch subplot.

Sam will probably travel to Oldtown without Gilly. Looks like it's farewell to Gilly after this season.

Maybe he'll go to say goodbye to her before leaving, and that's when Fat Pink Mast takes place.

You can ditch the baby-switch plot and still have Gilly travel with Sam (with her real baby). His developing relationship with her is important to his character. If there were no plans to keep her around, I don't know why we'd be spending as much time with the two of them as we have.

You can ditch the baby-switch plot and still have Gilly travel with Sam (with her real baby). His developing relationship with her is important to his character. If there were no plans to keep her around, I don't know why we'd be spending as much time with the two of them as we have.

You're right.

Only thing is that with no baby swap, Gilly would have no reason to travel far from Mel at the Wall.

Maybe they'll change it so she's not fitting in Mole's Town, and wants to be with Sam.

You're right.

Only thing is that with no baby swap, Gilly would have no reason to travel far from Mel at the Wall.

Maybe they'll change it so she's not fitting in Mole's Town, and wants to be with Sam.

I think she's going to be at Mole's Town for all of an episode or two since it's about to get decimated by Tormund and the crew. She'll be back at Castle Black later this season in some form or another. This is a very small detour to demonstrate Sam's poor decision-making as a result of him still hanging on to his insecurities. He'll redeem himself with Gilly later this season and they'll be a bonafide couple by the time they set out for Oldtown. Every scene with the two of them points to this being the ultimate destination.

Just because was haven't seen them yet does not mean Mance doesn't have a wife and child.

Putting Gilly in Mole's Town will allows viewers to have more engagement when the Wildling attack happens than 'parent's of potato boy die' does. It will ramp up the tension and does not mean the Gilly/Sam scenes later won't happen.

Let's see, keep her in the castle with rapers and thieves who have a hierarchical command staff that punishes crimes with corporal punishment...or the brothel where said rapers and thieves go to...well I suppose it's technically consensual at that point...

Sam the Stupid

Let's see, keep her in the castle with rapers and thieves who have a hierarchical command staff that punishes crimes with corporal punishment...or the brothel where said rapers and thieves go to...well I suppose it's technically consensual at that point...

Sam the Stupid

I live in a mining town with a large number of brothels. It also has the lowest rates of rape and sexual assault on the entire continent.

Sam's mistake was putting her in the path of the Wildlings.

Couldn`t he take her to a place in Mole Town that isn`t a brothel?

I think the entire town is a brothel.

I really hope that they're not just putting Gilly and the baby on a bus and dumping her on Mole Town because they're planning to cut out the Citadel storyline entirely. That would suck. I want Sam and pals to go to Oldtown.

Archived