[Book Spoilers] Gilly in Mole Town

Great idea, Sam, take the girl to the vulnerable town likely to be raided any day now, instead of letting her stay in the castle, where the only fighting force able to defend her is.

A lot of them, including Sam I presume are leaving to go beyond the Wall soon so nobody she knows would be there to keep her safe.

We can see in the trailers for season 4 Molestown being burnt by the wildlings so Gilly will proberbly be involved in this. The decision for Sam to send her away could be to do with the selfish decison the actor spoke about in an interview, he is doing it for himself.

I'm guessing that either 1) Sam gets word of the attack on Molestown and goes to rescue Gilly and the baby, or 2) Gilly and baby run away from the brothel and return to Castle Black. Then Jon comes up with the idea of having Aemon and Sam go to the Citadel (maybe with the detour to Braavos?), and Sam asks if Gilly+baby can come with him.

How can they possibly add the baby switch / Mance Rayder son plot line now? No baby for Mance Rayder has been shown at all and Gilly's been stuffed in Mole Town ... That's going to be really tough to move back around now. AND if they're dropping the baby switch story, why? It was important for Stannis and wanting a king's blood to sacrifice when they got to the wall, right?

I think they can still do it. And I hope they do. In the books, Jon offers the citizens of Mole Town a chance to come to safetly in Castle Black. So maybe that's how Gilly gets back. And we still have a few episodes to introduce Mance's baby. I'm keeping my finger's crossed. :P

To be honest, I do not see the need for this scene/detour from the books at all.

The only reason I can think of for this scene is that they wanted the actress tucked away somewhere till they need her. But that is still a lame reason for having this scene/sub-plot.

I would have rather suffered another 10 minutes of meaningless brothel scenes than see 3 more seconds of Sam and Gilly - Love on the Rocks. Worst waste of screen time thus far across all three previous seasons.

I agree. Completely unnecessary scene. Sometimes following the book wastes film resources.

Did not like leaving Gilly and little Sam in the brothel. It seemed the old blind man Mormont (can't recall his Castle Black name) was protective of her, as well as Sam's friends.

You mean old man Targaeryen? He is Aemon, and even if he is the maester of Castle Black, he has no way to protect her, how do you stop a dozen rapists? just hope they respect their vows?

I think they ARE going to skip the baby-switch plot, but I think the important part about that isn't the king's blood or Gilly's road trip, the important part about it is to show that Jon is capable of being cruel and heartless if it's in the best interests of the greater good. So maybe they'll have him make another cruel decision, but almost nothing could be crueler than sending a mom away from her baby...

I agree. Completely unnecessary scene. Sometimes following the book wastes film resources.

I don't think this scene was in the books. Gilly never leaves Castle Black before she has to go away with Sam and Aemon towards the Citadel.

Sam and Gilly are boring. Sorry. Both book and Show versions.

I did not find them boring. Sam actualy does some cool brainy tactical stuff with regards to getting Jon elected as Lord Commander. And Gilly is not that important a character in the books. Her purpose in the books is to mostly serve as wet nurse for the boy that is travelling down south with Sam.

I did not find them boring. Sam actualy does some cool brainy tactical stuff with regards to getting Jon elected as Lord Commander. And Gilly is not that important a character in the books. Her purpose in the books is to mostly serve as wet nurse for the boy that is travelling down south with Sam.

It's my opinion. I've never found Sam interesting, neither Gilly.

I agree with this, but I just don't see how they can introduce the baby-swap now. So I'm not sure what Show!Gilly's function is at all. And it just feels really unnecessary to focus on her so much.

I doubt they're going to do the baby switch. We've never met or heard of Dalla, and they're trying to keep characters to a minimum.

The decision, on Sam's part, is unintelligible. At Castle Black, he, Jon, his friends, and other good men can protect Gilly. At Mole Town, she's at the mercy of the prostitutes (who didn't seem to take too kindly to her) and the patrons. The patrons, however, are the very men whom Sam fears! Mole Town is the worst of both worlds: the danger of bad men without the protection of good men.

Who knows? With the way HBO gratuitously and grotesquely butchers characters and storylines, this could be anything. Maybe it's just filler fodder, maybe it's some ridiculous divergence.

Archived