[Show and Book Spoilers] A Balanced review of Stannis.

more shit....

Stannis is portraied as a dumb man who cannot understand black magic is an even lower trick than sellswords.

He still threatens Davos.

And he blames and regret him for not burning Edric. Something he never does at the books where he is relifed and almost grateful....

Less butchery to the character doesnt mean no butchery. it still continues.

I just miss all the good Stannis quotes they have left out-

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/66319-stannis-humor/page-2

If they don't have this one, I won't be happy-

"Her own father got this child on her? We are well rid of her, then. I will not suffer such abominations here. This is not King's Landing."

Even if they do turn around his character come his Wall scenes, they've still done him a great misservice just by missing out his dry humour in his earlier scenes.

Honestly, I've learnt to accept show Stannis and book Stannis aren't the same. It's the shows loss, really.

What do you guys think about Stephen Dillane?

He's amazing. All the more reason why it's such a waste what they're doing with the character & the lines the writers are omitting/changing because I can see Stephen Dillane delivering them perfectly. He also has a great dynamic with Liam Cunningham & Carice.

He's also very...Stannis...in his interviews. I adore him :laugh:

The only part I enjoyed was the line about the pantry. It's the sort of derisive comment Book Stannis would make about his bannermen. Everything else, though, was pretty lame.

Bringing up Gendry again, only to complain about how he couldn't kill him, was stupid.

This random, out-of-nowhere objection to sellswords is silly as shit. He already hired pirates to fight for him. Pirates. And yet Show Stannis balks at the prospect of sellswords? All to make Davos Dragonstone's sole voice of reason, apparently.

The threat was bad, although I suppose it's to be expected given Davos only lives because of Melisandre.

They really shouldn't have tried to fit his story into season 3 and then make up their own content for season 4. Neither are benefiting.

ETA: On the bright side, zero chance of his attack on the wildlings looking bad. They're crazy.

Even if they do turn around his character come his Wall scenes, they've still done him a great misservice just by missing out his dry humour in his earlier scenes.

Honestly, I've learnt to accept show Stannis and book Stannis aren't the same. It's the shows loss, really.

At this point, I'm expecting none of his great lines to appear. Not the I was trying to win the throne line or the Robert's piss line. Time to just get over it. I'm also convinced they won't make his character turn around at the wall. Don't really see how they could at this point.

They might still go about it a different way but I think it's kind of genius if they are planning on showing Stannis setting sail but the destination is not the Wall, but Braavos to treat with the Iron Bank. We always assumed once we found out that Stannis was going to Braavos, that it would be a stopover on his way to the Wall (which it still will be) but it looks like they might keep the audience out of the loop on this.

One of the great things about Stannis' arrival at the Wall in the books was how it was (more or less) a surprise. The show looks to be going out of its way to not bring up the plans from the S3 finale this year in order to maybe have the audience believe Stannis has other priorities. He'll spend the remainder of the season packing up and setting sail but without revealing that the Wall is the ultimate destination (kind of like they did the "oh shit, Dany has understood Valyrian the whole time" bit from S3). That way, his arrival at the climax of E9 will pack more of a punch.

I'm hoping this is what they're doing.

One of the great things about Stannis' arrival at the Wall in the books was how it was (more or less) a surprise. The show looks to be going out of its way to not bring up the plans from the S3 finale this year in order to maybe have the audience believe Stannis has other priorities. He'll spend the remainder of the season packing up and setting sail but without revealing that the Wall is the ultimate destination (kind of like they did the "oh shit, Dany has understood Valyrian the whole time" bit from S3). That way, his arrival at the climax of E9 will pack more of a punch.

I agree with you that the surprise arrival of Stannis in ASoS was one of the best parts of the book, and I appreciate that D & D might be trying to find a way to preserve that surprise, but, if that's the case, I really wish they'd found a less cack-handed way of doing it. If they do indeed have Stannis' arrival be a surprise, and it's as cool as it could be, then I might be willing to re-consider.

At this point I'm worried I won't get my favourite Stannis quote ever, the one that truly made me realize how much of a badass he was:

We all know what my brother would do. Robert would gallop up to the gates of Winterfell alone, break them with his warhammer, and ride through the rubble to slay Roose Bolton with his left hand and the Bastard with his right. I am not Robert. But we will march, and we will free Winterfell … or die in the attempt.

They might still go about it a different way but I think it's kind of genius if they are planning on showing Stannis setting sail but the destination is not the Wall, but Braavos to treat with the Iron Bank. We always assumed once we found out that Stannis was going to Braavos, that it would be a stopover on his way to the Wall (which it still will be) but it looks like they might keep the audience out of the loop on this.

I sincerely hope you are correct.

Stannis rocked this episode, y'all are tripping.

Aside from having none of his excellent book lines, threatening yet again to kill his most trusted man, get angry at the chance to not burn an innocent yet again despite being relieved in the book, and condemning the use of sellswords just so Davos (D&D) could call him out on his bullshit with the shadow demons...... yeah, I guess he was pretty good.

Aside from having none of his excellent book lines, threatening yet again to kill his most trusted man, get angry at the chance to not burn an innocent yet again despite being relieved in the book, and condemning the use of sellswords just so Davos (D&D) could call him out on his bullshit with the shadow demons...... yeah, I guess he was pretty good.

So much of this.

Stannis rocked this episode, y'all are tripping.

This.

The very first time I've enjoyed TV-Stannis. I didn't quite understand why/how he both gained and lost allies at the same time but the acting was on point...

Aside from having none of his excellent book lines, threatening yet again to kill his most trusted man --

He's always threatening to kill Davos, though. :lol:

Well, Queen of Whores, I'm not going near that Jaime/Cersei topic, it's the sort of thread where you get called names for defending any aspect of it. On the Stan front however it seems to have his mojo returned to him. Not since he sliced that fellow's head in half has he displayed this much alpha-ness. I unlike most of those who frequent this set of Stan threads, really like him in the show and I like brooding Stannis as much as man of action Stan. But I must say, the latter's return was welcome.

Well, Queen of Whores, I'm not going near that Jaime/Cersei topic, it's the sort of thread where you get called names for defending any aspect of it. But I will say that Stannis seems to have his mojo returned to him. Not since he sliced that fellow's head in half has he displayed this much alpha-ness. I unlike most of those who frequent this set of Stan threads, really like him in the show and I like brooding Stannis as much as man of action Stan. But I must say, the latter's return was welcome.

I do agree that he's got a bit more of his agency back in this episode, and that's great. As a self-confessed Stannis fanboy nothing makes me happier. I just wish they wouldn't bring up things he's said/done in the past that don't need to be, like threatening to kill Davos again, and wishing he could kill Gendry. Sure, Stannis in the book sometimes threatened to have Davos' tongue out, but I never really thought he was serious. He said stuff like that cause he know deep down Davos was telling the truth, and didn't want to admit it. On the show it seems like he truly wants to have Davos killed, and that's just a really terrible interpretation of their awesome bromance in the books.

Archived