[Show and Book Spoilers] A Balanced review of Stannis.

I just miss all the good Stannis quotes they have left out-

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/66319-stannis-humor/page-2

If they don't have this one, I won't be happy-

"Her own father got this child on her? We are well rid of her, then. I will not suffer such abominations here. This is not King's Landing."

Even if they do turn around his character come his Wall scenes, they've still done him a great misservice just by missing out his dry humour in his earlier scenes.

Honestly, I've learnt to accept show Stannis and book Stannis aren't the same. It's the shows loss, really.

Yeah that's such a great line. Picking on a poor girl who was repeatedly raped by her father. What a hero that Stannis is.

uhm. okay. So is Stannis on his fucking period or what! jeez...

cool line

"I will not be a page in someone else's history book" preceded by blood dripping out his vagina :bang: :bang:

Ehmmm moodiness is PMS, where nothing weird is dripping out one's vagina that was not intentionally put there.

But I'll forgive the scene 'cause of the adorable ball-busting Shireen.

BTW for all you questioning D&D for making Stannis threaten to kill Davos let me point to a line from the books.

" It is his silences you should fear, not his words."

Can't wait for people to get upset when he threatens to kill Jon as some sort of character assassination.

BTW for all you questioning D&D for making Stannis threaten to kill Davos let me point to a line from the books.

Can't wait for people to get upset when he threatens to kill Jon as some sort of character assassination.

Is there a single chapter in the books where Stannis doesn't threaten to execute someone? I particularly find it hilarious ^_^

Can't wait for you to stop moaning about Stannis not being butchered.

on the bright side I got to say its quite incredible he had a scene without Melissandre.

Coincidentally he seemed to have more agency and wit back with her gone. The same thing happened in season 2 and 3 as well. It seems that whenever D&D write scenes with them together they muck it up.

They might still go about it a different way but I think it's kind of genius if they are planning on showing Stannis setting sail but the destination is not the Wall, but Braavos to treat with the Iron Bank. We always assumed once we found out that Stannis was going to Braavos, that it would be a stopover on his way to the Wall (which it still will be) but it looks like they might keep the audience out of the loop on this.

One of the great things about Stannis' arrival at the Wall in the books was how it was (more or less) a surprise. The show looks to be going out of its way to not bring up the plans from the S3 finale this year in order to maybe have the audience believe Stannis has other priorities. He'll spend the remainder of the season packing up and setting sail but without revealing that the Wall is the ultimate destination (kind of like they did the "oh shit, Dany has understood Valyrian the whole time" bit from S3). That way, his arrival at the climax of E9 will pack more of a punch.

I'm hoping this is what they're doing.

But we specifically see him talking about taking advantage of Joffrey's death. Confirming to us that heading for the Wall (whose troubles would be identical with Joffrey living or dead) isn't his goal at all right now.

Coincidentally he seemed to have more agency and wit back with her gone. The same thing happened in season 2 and 3 as well. It seems that whenever D&D write scenes with them together they muck it up.

Well there was that scene where he went ahead and choked a bitch. And no shit that when the evil devil on his shoulder isn't around, he thinks more for himself. That's not a hard concept to wrap your head around.

Also, with that post, I believe "agency" is now the most overused term on this site (narrowly beating out "whitewashed"). I'm going to go ahead and make the assumption that 90% of the posters who use that term here have ever used that word in this context before visiting Westeros.

But we specifically see him talking about taking advantage of Joffrey's death. Confirming to us that heading for the Wall (whose troubles would be identical with Joffrey living or dead) isn't his goal at all right now.

You've proved my point. It's all a misdirect for the audience so that we'll kind of forget what happened in the S3 finale. He's going to the Wall because we've seen him arrive in the trailers, they just don't want the audience to think he is. And now they've found a way to even get him on a ship and sailing away from Dragonstone without it being apparent that the Wall is his ultimate destination (after his stop in Braavos).

Some people obsess over certain characters to the point that if they aren't depicted as carbon copies of what they see in their head, the character is ruined. Despite any changes made Stannis isn't much different in the show.

Killing people for treason vs killing people for not serving the right gods is a big difference.

This episode confirms to me that Stannis plot is about Shireen. She's going to win the Iron Throne in name of his father. And she IS her father's daughter.

Since I don't think Stannis will survive until the end of the series, I've been rooting for Queen Shireen I for quite a while now.

What do you guys think about Stephen Dillane?

He's awesome.

Say what you will but I felt that there was a strong bro-vibe at work. Especially when Davey compared Shireen to Stan in the later scene. Their was love in his eyes, man!

As a total fanboy, I loved that.

Aside from having none of his excellent book lines, threatening yet again to kill his most trusted man, get angry at the chance to not burn an innocent yet again despite being relieved in the book, and condemning the use of sellswords just so Davos (D&D) could call him out on his bullshit with the shadow demons...... yeah, I guess he was pretty good.

Yeah, but honestly, it wasn't as bad as some previous episode butcheries. Also, considering they made the Hound a butcher and had Jamie raping his sister next to the corpse of their son, both of whom are in the middle of "redemption" type arcs, well.... it's kinda hard to be upset by some of the Stannis stuff this episode (or even some of the previous episodes).

Honestly, I love the show, but this season seems pretty bad with sloppiness ("here's a necklace, I'll just tell you it's valuable and say nothing about wearing it to Joffery's wedding, because there's no chance you'll hide a necklace that came out of nowhere or decide it doesn't go with your dress") or blackwashing characters.

Well there was that scene where he went ahead and choked a bitch. And no shit that when the evil devil on his shoulder isn't around, he thinks more for himself. That's not a hard concept to wrap your head around.

Also, with that post, I believe "agency" is now the most overused term on this site (narrowly beating out "whitewashed"). I'm going to go ahead and make the assumption that 90% of the posters who use that term here have ever used that word in this context before visiting Westeros.

Feeling a little snippy today, are you? Let me apologise for clearly not being at your level of intelligence by not wrapping my head around this concept. I was discussing this in a civil way, but you clearly felt the need to get passive aggressive.

And assuming things get you nowhere when you clearly don't know the truth.

Archived