[Show and Book Spoilers] A Balanced review of Stannis.

You've proved my point. It's all a misdirect for the audience so that we'll kind of forget what happened in the S3 finale. He's going to the Wall because we've seen him arrive in the trailers, they just don't want the audience to think he is. And now they've found a way to even get him on a ship and sailing away from Dragonstone without it being apparent that the Wall is his ultimate destination (after his stop in Braavos).

He'll get there, I agree. Davos and Mel just aren't done convincing him that the Wall is worth his time yet.

I actually thought, that the scene was pretty good until Stannis said: "which means you're running out of time" :shocked: Save the Stannis threats for Jon, come on. What is this the third time now, that Stannis has threatened to kill Davos!?

BTW Good job Davos for getting Frey's vassals on Stannis' side :thumbsup: .

I took that line more like "you're as fucked as I am if we lose this".

He'll get there, I agree. Davos and Mel just aren't done convincing him that the Wall is worth his time yet.

I really don't think that's happening on the show. Davos isn't talking about it now, he's talking about hiring sellswords and going to the Iron bank for money. We're supposed to believe this is for some kind of big attack on the capital again but it's going to be shown out of the blue that it's really for the Wall.

As Stan the Man says in the OP, the Dragonstone scenes were rushed.

On rewatch I had no problems with the lines, but the word tempo was so high, it was clear the actors weren't able to put the nuance of their meanings across quite right. I mean Shireen came across a little too much as Little-Miss-Bossy-Boots all of a sudden. Having her stronger is fantastic, but the scene was so rushed it just came across as Davos being beset upon rather than pushed and guided.

As I said last week, I didn't necessarily hate the burning scene, but I found it utterly pointless. Last week's scene lacked any sense of urgency in their plans - then this week's lands and they have urgency but it is magnified by the word tempo and just seems so out of place its jarring.

It is quite clear to me they could have had parts of the Stannis Davos scene moved to replace the burning and slowed the word tempo down, kept the dinner and kept Shireen/Mel (to reintroduce Shireen to the viewers). This week could then have been Stannis/Davos talking about Joff then run the Davos/Shireen scene as it was but with a slower word count. Plot maintained and better dramatic effect.

Edit: loved the 'pantry' line.

That is sardonic Stannis in a nutshell

I actually thought, that the scene was pretty good until Stannis said: "which means you're running out of time" :shocked: Save the Stannis threats for Jon, come on. What is this the third time now, that Stannis has threatened to kill Davos!?

BTW Good job Davos for getting Frey's vassals on Stannis' side :thumbsup: .

He wasn't threatening Davos like you all seem to think, he meant that if he is running out of time, Davos(who is clearly loyal to him) is also subsequently running out of time.

I didn't dislike the scene at all, but I liked others more in this episode.

I think Stannis will demand the Iron Bank to support him who refuses.

Stannis conclusion in Season 7 or so should be that they go back to Dragonstone because they cannot fight with what is left from his army. "Stannis! Stannis! STANNIS!" in episode 9 then and "Ser Davos is a humble man" in episode 10.

I think this scenario is not that unlikely, especially seeing that they're not portraying him overly positive ( ;p), so that his redemption arc has a greater effect.

Also, with that post, I believe "agency" is now the most overused term on this site (narrowly beating out "whitewashed"). I'm going to go ahead and make the assumption that 90% of the posters who use that term here have ever used that word in this context before visiting Westeros.

Between the Stannis and Sansa threads, I wholeheartedly agree.

I quite liked the back and forth between Stannis and Davos in this episode. Looking forward to his interaction with Tycho now.

Did the ones in charge in KL stopped paying the interest to the IB already on the show? I don't recall. If not, why would the IB help Stannis?

Presumably they have but the IB will turn him down this time to allow them time to pay up.

They're just having Stannis go to Braavos so they can introduce the IB to the show only people, which will explain why they meet Stannis later and give him support

Presumably they have but the IB will turn him down this time to allow them time to pay up.

They're just having Stannis go to Braavos so they can introduce the IB to the show only people, which will explain why they meet Stannis later and give him support

Stannis has no men. Stannis has no ships. He will succed in Braavos or wont save the wall.

Archived