[Show and Book Spoilers] A Balanced review of Stannis.

Stannis has no men. Stannis has no ships. He will succed in Braavos or wont save the wall.

Where has this assumption that Stannis has no men come from?

He obviously hasn't got the numbers to field against the Lannisters but I'd say he easily has the 5000 or so men he needs for the battle at the Wall.

Either way we'll find out soon enough.

Stannis has no men. Stannis has no ships. He will succed in Braavos or wont save the wall.

Well those certainly looks like men at arms watching the burnings in episode 2. Also in the trailers we see a ship with Stannis' sigil on the sails. Plus the pantry squad. I think he has the 1 500 or so men that he has in the books. I can only make out Baratheon men in the trailer Battle of the Wall shots, but maybe that's just me.

Where has this assumption that Stannis has no men come from?

He obviously hasn't got the numbers to field against the Lannisters but I'd say he easily has the 5000 or so men he needs for the battle at the Wall.

Either way we'll find out soon enough.

5000??????????????????????

That is just too big. Impossible. Stannis with mountain clans men and his forces at the beginning of their death march added up to ~5000.

At the wall he had around ~2000 men.

I don't think show Stannis has that many.

5000??????????????????????

That is just too big. Impossible. Stannis with mountain clans men and his forces added add up to ~5000.

At the wall he had around ~2000 men.

I don't think show Stannis has that many.

His host was 20 times smaller than Mance's in the books so I'm assuming it is here too.

Anyway,.he has no ships to transport them. they came back from Black Waters in Saaladors ships, and he has left.

Stannis needs to get something from Braavos.

I agree he has no ships. Salladhor Saan was only his man to transport him army to the Wall.

Stannis only had 30 lysene ships and they were all Salla's. Wonder where he will get his ships from.

He has 100k in the show.

That his not his army. That are his total numbers. Not all of them are soldiers.

He had 30k, didn't he? And his army was aroun 1,500 soldiers.

In the show, Mance has 100k, so, by the 20:1 logic, Stannis would need to have 5,000 men.

Yeah my bad. 30k is the proper one.

Again i feel Jon is over-stating it. He cannot have an army of 100k. Those are his total numbers.

In hindsight, and after reminding myself that i have to accept show stannous as just something entirely different from book stannous it wasn't entirely bad.

I liked the pantry line, and I liked the page in a history book line.

I have to remind myself that they're trying to keep the whole "rescue at the wall" a surprise. In a sense its similar to the then torture scenes from last season. they don't want to have him absent for so many episodes that people forget about him, so they have to make some stuff up. this sub plot with bravos might not end up being half bad.

the "urgency" of the episode makes sense. Stannis wants to take advantage of Joffrey's death.

that said i wish they still had some of the lines from the books "2 is not 3"...

oh well at least shireen is an adorable little bad ass.

That his not his army. That are his total numbers. Not all of them are soldiers.

Jon said he is marching on the Wall with an army of 100k men...I don't think he would add in the stragglers when informing Thorne etc. of the threat. It's fighting men they would want to know about.

Jon said he is marching on the Wall with an army of 100k men...I don't think he would add in the stragglers when informing Thorne etc. of the threat. It's fighting men they would want to know about.

Exaggeration is actually one of the best way to alarm someone of a threat.

If he has an army has 100k, that would mean his total numbers would be around ~200k which is just logistically absurd to move about.

Yeah my bad. 30k is the proper one.

Again i feel Jon is over-stating it. He cannot have an army of 100k. Those are his total numbers.

Well, Jon may be over-stating it, but, actually, it's the only information we know about Mance's army.

The show has always given us larger armies than the ones from the book. Tywin had 60,000 men fighting at the end of the S1, which is of course twice the numbers he had in the books.

Well, Jon may be over-stating it, but, actually, it's the only information we know about Mance's army.

The show has always given us larger armies than the ones from the book. Tywin had 60,000 men fighting at the end of the S1, which is of course twice the numbers he had in the books.

Ah yes, forgot about that. They have been messy about troops numbers. That could explain this logistically absurd march of Mance.

The numbers don't really matter in truth, just what happens in Braavos.

I don't think he's going to get the same funding he does from the IB later...at this early stage.

If he did he'd hire the sellswords he does later and smash Roose Bolton easily instead of it being a close run thing as it is in the books.

That's his new personal ship. He was Master of ships, he'll have 3-5 small-medium ships with him, nothing more.

Could be or the rest of his ships might not be in the shot. They had no chain in the show and all of Stannis' ships didn't burn. It's entirely possible that he has 1 500 or so men and ships to transport them in the show.

Archived