[Show and Book Spoilers] A Balanced review of Stannis.

Who is going to support Dillanes scenes while he marches on WinterFell? Stannis needs a buddie to do the scenes....at best Asha is supposed to be a prisoner.

or not. the scenes in the north are really stannis' time to shine. it might be best to strip him of a buddy.

The Scene where Stannis saves the day or so we think:

• Jon and Mance reach a truce
  • Acknowledge that they must fight together to defeat the White Walkers
  • Suddenly trumpets are heard
  • Mance looks outside
  • fire everywhere, knights are charging towards the wildlings
  • Baratheon men cutting down every man, woman and child
  • Mance valiantly fights, but is captured and burnt alive on the spot
  • Stannis arrives
  • Orders his men to rape every wildling women
  • A couple of his men protest
  • Stannis has them gelded for insubordination
  • Finds Ygritte
  • Offers Jon a Lordship and orders him to burn all Weirwoods
  • Jon refuses
  • Stannis threatens to rape Ygritte
  • Stannis ties up Jon and forces him to watch as Ygritte is raped
  • Stannis then burns her alive on the orders of Melisandre
  • STANNIS! STANNIS! STANNIS!

The Scene where Jon is offered WF or so we think:

“My loyal silly jealous hand,” he said, chuckling. “I’ve only have one adviser, I promise you.”
Davos Seaworth smiled tremulously. “Only one? Your Grace do you swear it? Only one?”
“Only Melisandre.” He gave him a short, sharp shove.
Davos stumbled backward, his feet slipping on the ice. And then He was gone. he never screamed. For the longest time there was no sound but the wind.
Jon Snow gasped, “You … you …”
The King was screaming "This bastard killed my Onion Knight.”
Both scenes are Written by D&D. True Story.

“My loyal silly jealous hand,” he said, chuckling. “I’ve only have one adviser, I promise you.”
Davos Seaworth smiled tremulously. “Only one? Your Grace do you swear it? Only one?”
Davos stumbled backward, his feet slipping on the ice. And then He was gone. he never screamed. For the longest time there was no sound but the wind.

Don't give them any ideas :angry2:

I think what irritates book-readers most about this is the fact that the great majority of the little changes which set our own teeth grinding whilst watching the series do seem to be completely unnecessary in our eyes. On the whole, the merging together of minor characters and relocation of certain events in place and time are understood to be part and parcel of making a TV programme, due to the time and money constraints they have. We get that. But, why remove great, character-developing, fan-loved lines from the books like those mentioned above in favour of others (though not always bad ones) written by the writers. Yes, it's an adaptation, but there seems little need to deviate in these minor things for no obvious gain.

The Stannis we know and love doesn't need softening. Again and again the best scenes in the series turn out to be taken directly or closely adapted (in spirit, if nothing else) from the books. Dillane is a great actor. For me, he IS Stannis Baratheon when he's given good lines and allowed to act the character from the books. The writers need to trust more in the source material, the cast and, most importantly, the audience. No character from the books is black or white. People understand that in real life too and Stannis' flaws and inner turmoil make him all the better a character. That said, he doesn't need painting as weak, lustful and downright evil in the way they have. If they want to have him leading from the front at Blackwater or whatever else for 'cinematic value', then fine. But for everything else, for Stannis the character, why fix what isn't broken?

Unlike Stannis, I believe Jaime's been a bit whitewashed in the show. Except for scenes like Alton's murder and Cersei's rape, Jaime is much more likeable than in the books to me. He seems genuinely concerned about Brienne and doesn't treat her like shit all the time. He loses his hand trying to save her and doesn't appear to be really trying to kill Brienne in their duel. It's a bigger bromance in the show and he has more respect for her. That's why I think they will easily salvage Jaime this season yet. I really doubt it that people will still hate him after he sends Brienne to rescure Sansa, defends Tyrion in his trial, helps him escape and shits on his own reputation when writing the White Book. People will look back and see his last scene with Cersei as a relapse he quickly recovered from.

Stannis, on the other hand, will take some more time until he becomes more likeable to the non-readers, most likely by season 5 only. The only things about him that were whitewashed were his love for his daughter and his bravery in battle, while the rest of his positive qualities were omitted. Remember that there wouldn't be a "Stannis the Mannis" in the first place if he hadn't personally climbed the walls of King's Landing, but it's been a while since that happened, so they would have to do more to his character to make him likeable again. Maybe we will see him slaying a giant by himself?

I wouldn't say this is necessarily true. Book!Stannis has not really had any screentime with Shireen, so it's kinda hard to tell if they are "whitewashing" his character in this circumstance. Though it is surprising thing that they decided to develop and expand on this aspect of Stannis's life and actually make it positive. EDIT: I do get what your saying, but I think "whitewashing" might not be the best term since it is an *unknown rather than changing a negative trait or action into a good one or ignoring it all together.

*Though the times she does get mentioned by Stannis, he does seem to care about her. There just has been no long scene about her with Stannis.

why the fuck is there a Jaime and Rape discussion here

1. For once, someone got "blackwashed" worse than Stannis.

2. It's comparing the two.

• Mance looks outside
  • Stannis arrives
  • Finds Ygritte
  • Jon refuses

My loyal silly jealous hand, he said, chuckling. Ive only have one adviser, I promise you.

Davos Seaworth smiled tremulously. Only one? Your Grace do you swear it? Only one?

Only Melisandre. He gave him a short, sharp shove.

Jon Snow gasped, You you

The King was screaming "This bastard killed my Onion Knight.

What are your thoughts about the season 2 Stannis?

Stan the Man:

I think you need to stop looking at Stannis through rose-tinted glasses with regards to your D & D true story.

I think you are purposely omitting the flashback scene from Bran / Weirwood tree where we find out it was actually Stannis's shadow demon that killed Ned Stark. You bet. And also murdering Sansa's wolf. That too. Not too mention infecting Khal Drogo's wound and murdering Syrio Forel off screen. Clearly he orchestrated the red wedding with the blood-filled leech as well.

I'm just saying you really need to be more objective and balanced with Stannis. The "Both scenes are Written by D&D. True Story." article is clearly a historical white-wash of Stannis.

• Mance looks outside
  • Stannis arrives
  • Finds Ygritte
  • Jon refuses

My loyal silly jealous hand, he said, chuckling. Ive only have one adviser, I promise you.

Davos Seaworth smiled tremulously. Only one? Your Grace do you swear it? Only one?

Only Melisandre. He gave him a short, sharp shove.

Jon Snow gasped, You you

The King was screaming "This bastard killed my Onion Knight.

yep... his scenes with Jon will include lines as "I can feeeeell your anger, it makes you stronger"...

Stan the Man:

I think you need to stop looking at Stannis through rose-tinted glasses with regards to your D & D true story.

I think you are purposely omitting the flashback scene from Bran / Weirwood tree where we find out it was actually Stannis's shadow demon that killed Ned Stark. You bet. And also murdering Sansa's wolf. That too. Not too mention infecting Khal Drogo's wound and murdering Syrio Forel off screen. Clearly he orchestrated the red wedding with the blood-filled leech as well.

I'm just saying you really need to be more objective and balanced with Stannis. The "Both scenes are Written by D&D. True Story." article is clearly a historical white-wash of Stannis.

You also forgot the part where he wargs into Amory Lorch to kill Yoren and wargs into Mountain to kill Oberyn.

What are your thoughts about the season 2 Stannis?

Speaking for myself, I think season 2 Stannis is almost perfect with the exception of the omission of Proudwing. Him choking Mel is whatever compared to his amazing scene with Davos on the boat where he names him Hand of the King. "You'll be the first crabber's son to wear the badge," is an awesome line, and classic Stannis. The fact is, he is darker and more villainous before he goes to the Wall, it's just that he isn't nearly as heartless or as stupid as D&D are portraying him, which is why we're all so pissed off. The fact that George wasn't consulted about the Jaime-Cercei sept scene shows just how little control he has over the show, and perhaps just how little control he has over their portrayal of Stannis.

Don't D&D hate Stannis? Nice to see that they allow their bias to seep all over the show's version of him. I wonder how they intend to screw up his appearence in the North. They'll probably just keep him as totally unlikeable.

This is what I don't like about the show. D&D allow their bias of characters to warp their perception of the story, so ultimately at points the show watches like a badly written fanfic.

• Mance looks outside
  • Stannis arrives
  • Finds Ygritte
  • Jon refuses

That is from the #stannisisavillan tumblr right? can you also include the Brienne of Tarth + LoTR Mashup?

I know the "infidel" line irked some Stannis fans but I thought it fit in with a frustrated impatient king with inner skepticism at an emotional point trying to brush Davos off, trying several lame lines that he didn't believe himself. I'm a big Stannis fan, book and TV. Book Stannis did threaten Davos often and burned banner men because Mel told him he'd get good winds to the Wall. He only does what she advises when it suits, or won't hurt, his purposes. The "infidel" - he didn't say it with much conviction. Threats to Davos weren't empty either. Davos thought Stannis might be angry a lot more than he actually was and feared Mel more than he needed to. But when Stannis hauled out Lightbringer over Gendry, Davos had to do some fast reading.

My biggest problem is that they so openly express their opinions. This opens everything in a new light, making everything so much more bias on their part. Thats my take atleast. I may be wrong

I think it's good. At least people who argue with us can't say it's all in our heads when we claim they are biased against him.

Also, should we start taking bets on if his men will be shouting "STANNIS" or "MELISANDRE" ?

Archived