[Book Spoilers] Littlefinger goofed?

No shit! Lysa's revelations will be a game changer for non-book fans of the show. It'll show who was in the driver's seat all along.

Unsullied: Who the fuck is Jon Arryn?

He doesn't sound Welsh at all, I'm wondering if he's bored with GoT and looking for voiceover work and trying to show off as many accents as possible with whatever dialogue he gets- he crams all sorts in, none of them placeable to anywhere in particular

:lol: :lol:

Well it's not quite Gavin and Stacey, he seems to be going for the Anthony Hopkins or Richard Burton sort of rumbling cadence, but yes, it is too affected. It would be interesting to see someone address it in an interview with him - perhaps it is deliberate, Littlefinger's thick backwater accent coming out when he's not around the highborn lords of King's Landing?

The actor playing Littlefinger is a real crappy actor in my opinion. When I first saw his casting I was excited because he LOOKED exactly how I imagined him to be in the books. Unfortunately, he doesn't provide anything more than that. His speech always sounds so staged and artificial. And he's nowhere this creepy in the books, simply smooth, calculating, and very very clever.

Out of curiosity, are the Unsullied this clueless? I was an Unsullied until Season 3, and I definitely kept characters straight, and remembered details from earlier episodes. I feel like it's not that confusing.

Out of curiosity, are the Unsullied this clueless? I was an Unsullied until Season 3, and I definitely kept characters straight, and remembered details from earlier episodes. I feel like it's not that confusing.

Not all of them but some definitely are. And Jon Arryn has barely being mentioned again.

I can totally understand why Jon Arryn would be forgotten by the unsullied, his part of the TV series was short and at a time the characters were unknown.. and since he's barely been mentioned..

Jon Arryn was the very first death in the very first show of the first season... he was the hand of the king to Robert and his death was the reason Ned was called to Kings Landing to become hand himself.

Jon Arryn was also Lord of the Eyrie, Defender of the Vale and Warden of the East.. He was Husband to Lysa (Tully) Arryn, the crazy sister of Cats.. Jon also trained Ned and Robert when they were young boys and they were extremely close..

The actor playing Littlefinger is a real crappy actor in my opinion. When I first saw his casting I was excited because he LOOKED exactly how I imagined him to be in the books. Unfortunately, he doesn't provide anything more than that. His speech always sounds so staged and artificial. And he's nowhere this creepy in the books, simply smooth, calculating, and very very clever.

I think Aiden Gillen is perfect for Littlefinger. I cannot think of anyone who'd do a better job.

Like when he is seducing a young girl he claims to be his daughter? And he is obsessed with her because her mother turned him down when they were kids?

He was a pretty creepy piece of shit in the books too.

I feel like it's the raspyness. I just feel like, how has Littlefinger been so successful in King's Landing because the way he's being portrayed now he practically has a giant sign above his head flashing that he's a power hungry weasel. Varys sees it but he's more open with Varys but i always felt that the way he succeeded was to blend in and use the fact that he was low-born to his advantage.

I mean he's creepy as shit and is nursing a what, 20 year crush, and is totally inappropriate with Sansa, but he was also competent, cunning and cruel. I guess maybe this voice is his version of the evil genius laugh that we get to experience now that his plan is coming to fruition. I'd rather them just give him a cat to pet though.

Also, I know there was speculation that Sansa poisons him, but I want her to beat him at his own game. Basically, right at that moment when he thinks he's gained power, the tables turn dramatically on him. I want Sansa on a thrown while he gets carried away. Because she needs to learn from him, but not become him.

I think all of you are pegging Aiden Gillen entirely wrong. While there may be legit complaints that his Welsh accent is not correct (IF that is in fact what they've directed him to use) - I think the 'bad acting' many of you are seeing is a more contrived 'posture' he's using for the cheesy/creepy Littlefinger personality that was most definitely how he was portrayed in the books. Petyr was all about drama and being snively and rat like. He reminds me of "Templeton" from Charlotte's Web... very sneering and full of himself and also somewhat fake and melodramatic. So what many of you are saying you dislike about his character portrayal is actually him being spot on despicable. Some of his scenes with Varys in particular in seasons past were amazing.

For me, Littlefinger's character was equivalent to Silk in David Eddings' Belgariad series - might be too obscure a reference, though. Littlefinger in the books is not creepy. Firstly, there was no evidence he was "obsessed" with Sansa in the books. Indeed, he had limited contact with her until he spirited her away. For the most part, he communicated indirectly via Dantos. The movie deliberately chose to show Littlefinger with a Sansa obsession - as was evident early in Season One when he tells her the story of the Hound and the Mountain. That scene never happened in the books - it was a story told by the Hound himself in a meeting with Sansa.

perhaps it is deliberate, Littlefinger's thick backwater accent coming out when he's not around the highborn lords of King's Landing?

This was my thought too. During childhood, we used an ethnolect at home. When we'd talk outside the home, we'd use the standard, literary language even with each other. LF is just doing similar code-switching, but with the pronunciation.

Littlefinger in the books is not creepy. Firstly, there was no evidence he was "obsessed" with Sansa in the books.

Err, yes he is creepy in the books too. Once he spirits Sansa away from King's Landing, there are many scenes where he sits her on his lap, and talks to her about strategy. He is a purveour of sexual services to kings and lords, no matter what the demand, even in the books. The show only amplifies his creepiness because they have limited time to present it.

I disagree. If he smooths out his accent, he is perfect for the part. The Littlefinger from the books is just as creepy, and his smooth, calculating, clever schemes are yet to fully come to light in the show. Some aspects already have, like his reputation in King's Landing as someone who snaps his fingers and makes money appear whenever the Crown needed it, whereas in reality he has made the kingdoms indebted to the Iron Bank of Braavos over the years. The same Bank who have a reputation of affecting a regime change in order to collect on their loans. This, along with what is going to come to light, makes the Show Littlefinger as clever and calculating as the Book one.

Littlefinger is creepy in the books, but he doesn't come across as creepy to those around him. People are inclined to trust him in the books, whereas for anyone to trust him in the show seems absurd.

In a way what the show has nailed with Qyburn is what they've missed with Littlefinger: Book!Qyburn looks like someone's grandfather. He doesn't look like someone who'd be involved in horrific experiments. And the TV!Qyburn, so far, is exactly like that grandfather figure. When we later discover what he's been up to, it'll be a horrifying shock. When Littlefinger is revealed as a master villain, there won't be any shock at all that he's a villain or a schemer - it'll be more like mild surprise that he was that central. "Huh, he's been describing himself as a criminal mastermind to everyone for so long, and it turns out he's actually right and not just self-important. I guess that's ... mildly interesting."

Come to think of it, Baelish could easily have misled Sansa into believing that Dontos was safe and well rewarded for his part on her escape if he felt like it.

It must follow that it does not suit his purposes to do so.

Part of the reason is pragmatic realism. He has little reason to present a façade to Sansa. She will soon enough realize that it is just an act, that he is no Noble Knight on a white horse. Besides, we have reason to assume that he does not particularly like to play along the social expectations of Westerosi nobility. He is too lowborn to love them that much.

Beyond that, she does indeed see Sansa as a young proxy of Catherine. And he wants to impress the two of them, even if that means presenting himself as a monster unworthy of respect. He has long accepted that he has no other means of impressing the Starks.

He can't be loved by the Starks, so he will settle for scaring, destroying and corrupting them.

Letting his guard down is in part lack of wisdom, but also sort of the point. He has spent far too much energy attempting to present himself as what others want him to be. His main goal is to be accepted as the monster that he truly is. In his mind he is "protecting" Sansa by showing her how things "truly are".

Archived