[Book Spoilers] Wildling raiding

C.T. Phipps

I did not find it cheesy at all. It had the right effect. He asked the boy to look at his dead parents while the other Thens were carving them up in the background, and then whispered in his ears that he was going to eat them. There was nothing cheesy or funny about it, IMHO.

I feel like if the Thenns had been regularly raiding and eating Northerners, the Starks and others (even Southerners) would have been way more careful to staff up the Night's Watch. There's no way the NW ends up being 300 guys if Thenns are hopping over the wall for carry-out once a month.

I feel like if the Thenns had been regularly raiding and eating Northerners, the Starks and others (even Southerners) would have been way more careful to staff up the Night's Watch. There's no way the NW ends up being 300 guys if Thenns are hopping over the wall for carry-out once a month.

If I remember the books correctly, the Thenns were from much farther North to bother having to cross the Wall again and again for "food". One of the reasons why they turned to cannibalism.

If I remember the books correctly, the Thenns were from much farther North to bother having to cross the Wall again and again for "food". One of the reasons why they turned to cannibalism.

I think that's right - the Thenns were from farther away (and actually, they also weren't cannibals - some other wildlings were, plus the Skagosi). The Thenns had a more Westerosi-style way of life - lords, armor, etc. But I guess I still think that TV-Starks and TV-Southerners would be more worried about TV-Thenns eating them...

I didn't like it. The wildlings can be cruel and brutal, but they have a purpose. They should not be depicted as people who enjoy killing for the sake of it.

There was a definite strategic purpose here - they're causing havoc in order to draw out and weaken the Night's Watch. The Thenns may be doing this kind of thing for fun, but presumably Ygritte and Tormund aren't. Even the main Thenn guy was involved in the strategy - that's why he let the boy go.

I suppose it's not far off Tywin destroying the Riverlands. It's brutal but strategically useful; unlike many of his commanders, Tywin doesn't seem to take any pleasure in it (or feel much guilt!).

While wildlings and Westerosi are not natural enemies - they share common interests - they do fight and kill each other. The Night's Watch raids wildling camps beyond the Wall, and the wildlings raid Westerosi villages south of the Wall. It's frustrating to watch because it's completely pointless, but it is a part of the world.

Gonna make a giant leap now with the way that little boy was looking at Ygritte that he is the one to stick a fatal arrow in her. Preferrably Jon trains him.

Yep. The shot lingers on her from his POV for quite a while. Can't say I blame the kid.

Still not sure what the point of Joseph Gatt's character is yet. He's a Thenn warg but why was his casting the only one that was so mysterious I wonder.

I didn't like it. The wildlings can be cruel and brutal, but they have a purpose. They should not be depicted as people who enjoy killing for the sake of it.

LOL. You really don't think people like Varamyr, Rattleshirt, Harma Dogshead, or The Weeper enjoy killing? Besides the point here was to draw out the Night's Watch, which is extremely obvious if you watched the scene.

There was a definite strategic purpose here - they're causing havoc in order to draw out and weaken the Night's Watch. The Thenns may be doing this kind of thing for fun, but presumably Ygritte and Tormund aren't. Even the main Thenn guy was involved in the strategy - that's why he let the boy go.

I suppose it's not far off Tywin destroying the Riverlands. It's brutal but strategically useful; unlike many of his commanders, Tywin doesn't seem to take any pleasure in it (or feel much guilt!).

But the actual actions of the wildlings in the scene itself didn't trasmit that there was a strategic purpose, even if afterwards that was how the show justified it. I would have been OK with some plunder and rape, but not the calculated extermination of every single member of a village, with added cruelty and caricauresque comic villains.

Tormund and the Thenns are suposed to become reliable allies of the Watch. They shouldn't risk making it seem that the White Walkers are a lesser evil.

But the actual actions of the wildlings in the scene itself didn't trasmit that there was a strategic purpose, even if afterwards that was how the show justified it. I would have been OK with some plunder and rape, but I not the caculated extermination of every single member of a village, with added cruelty and caricauresque comic villains.

Tormund and the Thenns are suposed to become reliable allies of the Watch. They shouldn't risk making it seem that the White Walkers are a lesser evil.

They slaughtered a village and let someone go to warn Castle Black. It seems pretty straightforward, similar to Theon's feint at Torrhen's Square. In fact it almost works but luckily Thorne, Aemon, and Jon aren't stupid.

The Thenns are awkwardly cruel, they remind me of The Bloody Mummers except instead of rape they partake in cannabalism.

In the books, its supposed to be a sneaky raid on castleblack. Well, since Snow escaped, caution is useless. But the same speech about cannibalism still bother me. "I'll eat your folks cuz i'm a wicked son of a bitch..."

Before they get to castleblack, every thenns will be fatter than Sam. And probably afflicted with many debilitating diseases you get when you eat people.

And even if they are badass cannibals, why not partaking in rapes? In most cases, lust is the first priority, food comes next.

Gonna make a giant leap now with the way that little boy was looking at Ygritte that he is the one to stick a fatal arrow in her. Preferrably Jon trains him.

He might be the Satin replacement? Bowen and the other NW brothers will crack up because the LC steward is just a little boy with no experience as opposed to him being a whore. Actually, this could be quite cute...Jon could develop a faher/big brother bond with him and take out all his sorrow over his 'dead siblings' on protecting this little boy who lost his father/family just like Jon. Although, I'm probably jumping the gun here and I still want Satin to turn up...we need a Jatin tumblr page.

Jon did seem nice to him- holding his shoulder for support/comfort. I wouldn't be surprised if they give him a bigger role other than just being an extra for the one episode.

He might even be killed in front of Jon or something by Ygritte and then Jon kills her...adding to the angst? Although, that might destroy the 'we should have stayed in the cave' scene.

The little boy might even tell Jon that a red headed wildling woman killed his father so Jon is aware of how dangerous Ygritte really is.

Although, yeah him killing Ygritte would be justifiable considering she killed his father. I don't think I'll miss her.

the raid itself is fine, just the over the top way they're having lines delivered is what gets to me. Raids aren't gentle, they aren't taking prisoners so the slaughter was expected...the warning/gonna eat your parents was sloppy.

Archived