[Book Spoilers] Wildling raiding

C.T. Phipps

Styr was so cheesy this episode.

I do not like the TV portrayal of the Thenns. They could be scary without looking like mutants or something, nor acting as cannibals.

It would have been perfect if Styr had said all the same stuff to the scared little boy, to play on the fact the boy might think wildlings are cannibals - that would work, because then the boy goes running off to the wall crying about the wildlings were going to eat his mum and dad. But of course this potential cleverness was ruined by the fact that the Thenns already seem established in the show as actual cannibals.

I wouldn't call them completely evil. Styr's men butchering the boy's parents in front of him is evil. Tormund and Ygritte dealing quick deaths is a mercy. Not completely evil, but not good either. Besides, as far as the wildlings know, the Northerners are a bunch of bigots. It seems like there's quite a few members that want some of that good old black-and-white morality. It's like you've forgotten what book series the show's based on. :P

It helped characters like Ygritte and Tormund because it paints them as grey characters who we like sometimes, but who can come across as evil savages at other points.

Not sure what I thought of the Thenns. Even though it's probably over the top, their butchering of the boys parents and saying they were going to eat them was certainly more disturbing than cheesy, even if it was too much.

I like the wildlings being all savage and ruthless. That's what they are, merciless. Especially Styr, who was creepy as shit. They are that way to scare the villagers.

I'd rather they be like this than a bunch of pussies who left them alive.

Besides, in 3x09, we already saw that they didn't care about murdering an old man.

But when they come to the wildling civilians, I think they'll take a much softer stance on their portrayal.

At first I was like wow they are making the wildings too unlikable and evil that when Jon lets them join up (or whatever I forget the exact details) that it won't be acceptable. But then I thought this is how the 7 kingdom's does war. All sides just bust into an area and drop the equivalent of napalm on the area and kill whoever gets in their ways. What they are doing is really no different.

But the actual actions of the wildlings in the scene itself didn't trasmit that there was a strategic purpose, even if afterwards that was how the show justified it. I would have been OK with some plunder and rape, but not the calculated extermination of every single member of a village, with added cruelty and caricauresque comic villains.

Tormund and the Thenns are suposed to become reliable allies of the Watch. They shouldn't risk making it seem that the White Walkers are a lesser evil.

No worries there. It's obvious the walkers are a larger concern. They are the main reason that there is a wall. Besides, Styr would piss himself if confronted by a walker.

So further into the season(actually much further into futures seasons) how will they handle the Thenn plotline? Will Jon let them pass, i mean they are pycho murderin' cannibals.

Also, yah that kid is gonna kil Ygritte( :crying: )

He's probably the Satin replacement to

So further into the season(actually much further into futures seasons) how will they handle the Thenn plotline? Will Jon let them pass, i mean they are pycho murderin' cannibals.

Also, yah that kid is gonna kil Ygritte( :crying: )

He's probably the Satin replacement to

Most likely the Thenns will be annihilated completely and Tormund and his gang will take their place.

Archived