Tommen and Tywin (book spoilers)

Also kinda weird thinking about how Jaime has been the father to two Kings, yet has never been King himself. Doesn't happen much.

Well, so far he is only topped by Steffon Baratheon, father to three kings.

Also, Littlefinger said Joffrey tormented Sansa "for years". That made no sense.

Would it sound better if he said "Joffrey abused you for 1 year and 10 moons" ?

Because that is roughly the time Sansa was abused by Joffrey..

Repeating myself from another thread, but what the heck: I wonder if the Tywin/Tommen relationship was being planned back in the Tywin/Arya scenes? Would Tywin in this scene seem entirely out of character but for his interactions with Arya?

I love how the show is handling Tywin. He's far more interesting in the show than he ever was in the book for me.

But isn't that only because we kinda have a Tywin pov in the show? I mean there are way more scenes and interactions than in the book. In the books we had him interact only with Tyrion three times and with Jaime two times.

Now he pretty much has scenes with every KL based character.

But he is still the same awesome badass as in the books. I see no toned down or more sympathetic Tywin.

The actor looks 12 for me. And since he is same age than Bran, the character is probably 12 too.

They did kind of screw themselves back in Season 1 though, because I think Loras says to Renly that Tommen is 8. The new actor does not look like a 10-year-old.

However, I like that Tommen isn't just going to be a tubby boy playing with kittens and outlawing beets. I think he will still be sweet and easily controlled, but giving his character a little more agency might make it interesting when he ends up liking the Tyrells more and more.

The conversation was excellent, setting up the role of the grandfatherly advisor who only has the best interests of the kingdom at heart. Made me reevaluate Tywin as less having less of an oak tree up his ass; there's some genuine concern for the stability of Westeros, even beyond his family's interest. Helps that this time he's got a malleable grandson rather than a lunatic. Loved him calling Joffrey as he saw him in front of grieving Cersei - she knew the monster she'd birthed, said so last season, but she needed to hear it and Tommen did as well. So glad they cut away from Tywin's perspective on the birds and bees....creepy. There are moments where D&D have gone for subtlety and then, other scenes that are so obtuse. My first sight of the new actor resulted in "who the fuck is that?" I keep waiting for someone to say, "So, Tommen...." because he could be just another of those golden-haired shits for all any viewer knew.

The scene itself was a little long but would have been perfect if Tommen wasn't so old. He comes across as slow rather than the Tommen of the books who is simply a child being a child.

I know it's been discussed to death, but what a stupid decision. The show has an excellent track record of casting child actors in notable roles from back in season one so it's not as if they had to get an older, more accomplished guy in. If they were going to replace the first kid then fine, but I don't see why they went down this route.

Renly in season one said Tommen is 8. Blackfish in season 3 says Martyn Lannister is 15. A year later and now he's supposed to be playing a character who is 10 at the most.

Despite all that, I really do like seeing this side to Tywin. It's easy to miss but he makes a b-line for Tommen as soon as Joffrey hits the ground in last week's episode.

The scene itself was a little long but would have been perfect if Tommen wasn't so old. He comes across as slow rather than the Tommen of the books who is simply a child being a child.

I dunno about that. I know I wouldn't give more lengthy answers if my grandfather and greatest villain/hero of their time called me out like that at 15. While Tommen is exceptionally childish in the books. He's two years older then GOT Bran when he's chasing Ser Pounce around, outlawing beets, stamping everything mindlessly.

Archived