Tommen and Tywin (book spoilers)

Charles Dance plays a perfect Tywin and so so good at it, they have expanded his role in the series. This man deserved awards for this and his work on A GAME OF THRONES will most likely be what he is remembered for the most as an actor. Excellent. This scene with Tommen was magnificent and the look on Cersei's face when Tywin says, in essence, what failure Joff was was priceless. Even more the better because Joff was 100% Cersei's life project as Queen.

what did Tywin say was the appropriate response to "a great house asks for support against a great navy...?" curious to know tywins mind

He basically said "it depends" and that it's best to listen to those who have experience in these things. Furthermore, it sounded to me as if he was implying that's what he would do/did when he was young.

Tywin was ruthless but I think he woulda made a boss king out of Tommen

That scene also made me oddly excited for Aegon (I'm guessing we'll be getting him early next season), because Tywin describing what makes a good king reminded me of Varys talking about how Aegon has been raised to be the best possible king.

Atrocious scene. Tommen isn't a 6 year old.

Daenerys, Jon and Robb were not 13-14 in the first season neither. If you think age differences make the series "atrocious", you should not watch it...

Generaly, I don't understand the complaints about age and actors growing up (like Bran). It's clear now that the time lapse of the saga is longer in the series than in the books. An author can keep his characters as child forever, but not showrunners.

There is absolutely no problem if a series that lasts like 5 years in the books lasts like 8 or more years in the series.

That scene also made me oddly excited for Aegon (I'm guessing we'll be getting him early next season), because Tywin describing what makes a good king reminded me of Varys talking about how Aegon has been raised to be the best possible king.

Well, then Tywin should take Tommen to his fishing trips and teach him how to skin a stag...

..that would actually be awesome. Kinda like a karate kid training montage with Rocky music...:'D

Charles Dance plays a perfect Tywin and so so good at it, they have expanded his role in the series. This man deserved awards for this and his work on A GAME OF THRONES will most likely be what he is remembered for the most as an actor. Excellent. This scene with Tommen was magnificent and the look on Cersei's face when Tywin says, in essence, what failure Joff was was priceless. Even more the better because Joff was 100% Cersei's life project as Queen.

:agree:

And this Tywin teaching Tommen was just great.

Daenerys, Jon and Robb were not 13-14 in the first season neither. If you think age differences make the series "atrocious", you should not watch it...

Generaly, I don't understand the complaints about age and actors growing up (like Bran). It's clear now that the time lapse of the saga is longer in the series than in the books. An author can keep his characters as child forever, but not showrunners.

There is absolutely no problem if a series that lasts like 5 years in the books lasts like 8 or more years in the series.

This, is the correct answer

Way to miss the point.

You don't give such a childish lecture as Tywin's here to a 15 year old teen. It makes no sense and it looks silly. if they wanted a character who is 9-10, they shouldn't have cast a 16 year old who is as tall as a typical adult, in that part.

Someone in his mid 20s trying to pass for 17-18 year old is one thing (no big deal), but a 16 year old playing a 10 year old is a different thing altogether.

In what galaxy was it an embarrassing info dump?

The Milky Way.

Other questions?

Agreed. For continuity though, they do mention Tommen being 8 in Season 1, and then Petyr specifically tells Sansa Joff tormented her for 2 years, which would make Tommen 10. He's probably supposed to be 12 or 13 (new actor is what? 15/16), which I think works well, but it is a continuity error nonetheless.

EDIT: for reference,

Renly Baratheon: I'm fourth in line.

Loras Tyrell: And where was Robert in the line of royal succession? Joffrey is a monster, Tommen is eight.

You don't give such a childish lecture as Tywin's here to a 15 year old teen. It makes no sense and it looks silly.
but a 16 year old playing a 10 year old is a different thing altogether.

The actor is 14 or 15, and plays a 12 year old boy (not 10).

I don't see how teaching politics is childish. Tywin could teach the same thing to a 30 year old man. In fact, Varys had such lines with Tyrion about who rules ("power is a trick, a shadow on the wall...").

The actor is 14 or 15, and plays a 12 year old boy (not 10).

I don't see how teaching politics is childish. Tywin could teach the same thing to a 30 year old man. In fact, Varys had such lines with Tyrion about who rules ("power is a trick, a shadow on the wall...").

teaching politics in itself is not childish. Teaching it the way Tywin did it here is definitely childish.

teaching politics in itself is not childish. Teaching it the way Tywin did it here is definitely childish.

And teaching it this way to a 12 (or even 14) year old boy is silly?

As long as they do not show Tommen complaining like a baby, I don't see the problem.

What solidviper and The Eunuch said. But also keep in mind that Tommen wasn't really raised to be a king, or much of anything. His father only died a couple years ago, and who thought Joff would be out of here so young. Tywin is basically starting from 0 with him, so going over the basics isn't that ridiculous.

Tommen is the second son of a king in a world where medicine is at a low level and people die young all the time. It is idiotic not to prepare him for the distinct possibility of becoming king one day. besides, as a high ranked royal he needs to know about politics and governing even if he never becomes a king.

Archived