[spoilers] Nitpicking with impunity

Well both the S206 and S305 (the episodes where these numbers come from) were written by non D&D writers. So at least the main writers know what they're doing right... right?

What's odd is that the scene where Robb tells us the Karstark numbers, as well as the completely false claim that the Frey's remained neutral in the war, was written by Bryan Cogman, probably the best writer for the show, as well as the guy they rely on to fix up any small inconsistencies in the plot, like numbers and sigils and stuff. Kind of weird for him to make such glaring mistakes in his own episode, unless D&D specifically told him to include those comments.

Using the HBO Go subtitles to confirm the spelling, this is what Tywin says to Tommen:
"Orys the First was just. Everyone applauded his reforms. Nobles and commoners alike. But he wasn't just for long. He was murdered in his sleep after less than a year by his own brother. Was that truly just of him? To abandon his subjects to an evil that he was too gullible to recognize?"
....this creates all kinds of problems.
At first I thought he was slurring "Aerys the First" or possibly "Aenys the First"...though they're both a stretch.
The problem is that there is no king who ruled for less than a year but was then murdered by his own brother (the only king to rule one year was Viserys II, but he was an old man, and his brothers were dead by that point - his last brother being the previous king).
Aerys I was not murdered by his own brother, or at least I'm fairly sure Maekar I never did that. And he ruled for many years. On top of that Aerys I was an infamously weak, do-nothing king, not a great reformer.
Aenys I...may have attempted reforms but been killed by Maegor the Cruel, his own brother. We don't know how Aenys I died in the books.
A RUNNING GUESS which I have is...maybe they thought that "Aenys" sounds too much like "anus" on TV, and in the TV continuity he's been renamed Orys? It's actually not much of a stretch to say that Aegon I would name his firstborn son after Aegon's Hand of the King and only close friend. Though it is weird to say that Aenys/Orys ruled only one year when he ruled for a few more than that (though not the biggest change in the world).
The other possibility is that "Orys the First" was an important ancient Storm King or something, but not a king who sat on the Iron Throne.
This is a serious problem.

Someone with access to Cogman via twitter (i.e. Westeros.org) really needs to ask about that one.

This. I don't think it would be a Storm King, the only Orys we know of is a Targaryen bastard who happened to marry a Storm Queen and become Hand of the King.

Omg, there are just SO MANY things that are wrong with this show...

Things i didn't like the most:

1) Tywin being a total idiot. Tywin asking Oberyn for a help against Daenerys? For real? Are you serious? Why does Tywin believe fairy tales about dragons? Why can't he offer just a seat on a small council, that is already a big enough deal? Oh, Tywin expects that the only house in the Seven Kingdoms, that was most loyal to Targaryens will fight dragons for a house, that butchered princess of Dorne and her children. If Tywin truly believed there are dragons, he wouldn't have even suggested to fight against them. Oh, silly Tywin, even Joffrey seems smarter than him, because he figured the dragon thing a lot earlier.

2) Tyrion making self-sacrifice... c'mon, lame scene to make Tyrion look good before killing his father. Look, look, it's all black&white, and Tyrion is the good guy

3) Making Thenns absolutely evil. How Jon Snow is expected to treat with them and even giving them a Castle? They could exclude Thenn's later, of course, but it's a deviation from the book i would not like

Everything else was fine in this episode. I enjoyed Dany's sequence.

Tommen is too old. I'm currently rewatching season 2, and he was a little kid back then. Now he looks like Joffrey's nice twin.

At least a short fight sequence between the Champion and Daario would have been nice.

The actor playing Tommen V2 is only about 1 year older than the actor who played Tommen V1 and is vastly more experienced and accomplished, having played Billy Elliott for some time.

1. Oberyn - Tywin. What the hell?

2. Jaime raping Cersei.

3. The Thenns letting Castle Black know, that they are coming.

4. Hound not-a-thief/thief

5. Daenerys. Emilia Clarke just can't act.

6. As always: Stannis.

The episode was just sooo bad.

3. The Thenns letting Castle Black know, that they are coming.

As I understood they wanted to draw the Night's Watch out of the castle, because it's easier to kill them that way. Th Night's Watch already knows the wildlings will come both from south&north via Jon Snow.

As I understood they wanted to draw the Night's Watch out of the castle, because it's easier to kill them that way. Th Night's Watch already knows the wildlings will come both from south&north via Jon Snow.

But they don't know that Jon Snow lives. Originally it should have been a surprise-attack.

- Jaime the rapist

- Super-creepiness of Thenns

- Gilly staying at the Wall prior a massive wildling attack is actually an option?

- Sam getting more screen time than Jon

- Sam the supposed craven having to tell people he killed a Walker instead of them reminding him

- Oberyn's constant bi- and/or brothel-moments, as if there's nothing else to him

- Tyrion and Oberyn not being buddy-buddy before the trial

- Dany standing in lines of fire

- Stannis threatening his #1 homeboy

- the Hound's inconsistent morals

-Yeah let's give The Hound this cool edgy line about how he is not a thief and then completely disregard "the code" an episode later. Idk just seemed lame. The attempt at comic relief during those scenes didn't work at all this time either.

- Sam and Gillys scenes. Fuck me those were boring

- Aiden Gillen is truly awful. He was so good as Carcetti in The Wire and even as LF in season 1. Shame

-New Tommen. I'm sure he''ll make a good puppet but he certainly is no "outlaw beets" Tommen :(

- Tyrion and Pods scene made me laugh for some reason

Littlefinger's talking - it's not just an accent problem, it was all whispery and gravelly, signposting that he's now a baddie. He just needed a cloak to swirl and a waxed moustache to twirl. Also, now Sansa can be in no doubt that he's evil, whereas in the book doubt creeps up on her.

I don't mind the Thenns being cannibals but the dialogue in that scene was ridiculous.

Jaime's little incident was really bad. If it was supposed to be consensual then it certainly didn't come off that way. I guess in that case the fault lies with the director, possibly even Lena and Nikolaj which is pretty damn rare.

Littlefinger's accent all over the place again.

The Margaery/Olenna and Tywin/Tommen scenes dragged on a bit and consequentially the Jon and Dany scenes ended up feeling pretty rushed.

Oberyn is bi-sexual. We get it.

Apparently the glorious city of Meeren has never heard of a trebuchet. Placing your entire army right below the walls to show your strenght is really smart. And is it just me or is Emilia getting worse with every episode?

Sam: "I wonder where Gily will be safe from rape... I know! In a brothel!" Genius.

Jaime rapes his sister at his son's funeral.

I guess Alys Karstark won't marry the Magnar of Thenn in the series?

edit: And what happened to Aidan Gillen's acting? He was even worse than Emilia!

I guess Alys Karstark won't marry the Magnar of Thenn in the series?

Gods I hope not. She's my favourite minor character in the books. If she married a Thenn from the show she'd end up getting eaten, and not in the good way.

I'm so sorry, I couldn't resist :D

Tywin: It's said you studied poisons at the citadel

Oberyn: Yes. That is how I know he didn't choke

The fact that blood was streaming from his every orifice probably also should have been a clue.

Archived